Can't get my head around Ethos

David Holland 2

This is not an April Fool!!

Gents, does anyone have some expertise with Ethos? I've been an ardent fan of my Horus X10 using the FrOs operating system for years. A couple of years ago I treated myself to an X20 but could not get my head around Ethos. However, with the rubbish flying weather we have been suffering, I decided the time had come to get the new radio up and running. I have sorted most things but am struggling with getting voice alerts when a switch is moved. I have downloaded all the sound files to the SD card and they all show and play in File Manager - SD:/audio/en/sounds. If I then go to Model - Special Functions I can assign the switch, select Play Track, Enable and Condition (switch position) but when I select File the Wav file dialog box is not populated. I have fiddled with every option but cannot get the flipping thing to let me add voice alerts and frustration is setting in. Can anyone point out the error of my ways?

Thanks in advance,

David        

Advert

I assume we are talking user made audio files here rather than system files, they need to go in the root of the audio folder not in the en sounds folder, see attached. a very common mistake to have made.

This will all change if/when you upgrade to 1.5.X so fee free to come back and ask again.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

OK I can see some problems here for those who do update and think they have lost their voice files, below is what you will need to do if you choose to update.

Whilst there were some initial problems with 1.5.0, 1,2 and 3 if using particular complex glider templates like Mike Shellim's but I believe they have been ironed out now with 1.5.4.

I am currently flying on 1.5.4 and have no issues.

You can for sure stay on 1.4.X with no problems but you'll miss out on some potentially new additions in 1.5.X such as:

1. Trims to sub trims, takes your trim settings and puts them in the sub trim whilst re zeroing the trim
  2. Instant trim, fly straight and level on the sticks and hit the switch, the trim you were in with the sticks gets transferred to the sub trim, be careful with that one but could be useful with way out of trim models
  3. Perhaps potentially the most useful to the most, inbuilt set up of the stabilized receivers in the model wizard. 
  4. Different voices available (can't really see the point in that), now all voice files can go in the Audio/en/gb folder, you can also have an entirely separate folder if you want and call it what you want, in my case Caller because it's a sequence of maneuvers, see attached file structure, then in the system settings you select the folders you want it to use and you can have up to three, as in the other screenshot.

Hope that helps someone out.  

Capture.PNG

screenshot-2024-04-01-46210.bmp

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
  • Like 1

Sorry, chaps, still struggling. The audio files ( .wav) were downloaded from the Amber sound suite onto the SD card, on which there are four folders, audio, bitmaps, models and scripts plus a couple of documents. At the TX, from "System" and clicking  "File Manager" and selecting "audio' opens up 10 language options and opening "en" gives a sounds folder and a system folder. Both folders contain the .wav files and clicking these files plays them correctly. I then ,on the Tx, select "Model" then "Special Functions" from the second page of the "Model" menu. Here I am selecting , an action - Play Track, a state - Enable, an Active Condition - my chosen switch position, and then I select file. Here I get an unpopulated dialogue box "Wav file" which just contains 3 dashes and won't allow me to open it. HEEEEELP

TIA

David

On 1.4.17 any custom sound files (which these are) need to be in the Audio folder not in the en folder as shown in my first post above. If you have put them in the Audio/en folder or a folder within en then they won't be able to select them in the special functions menu.

Ethos uses a system folder but I'm sure it doesn't use the sounds folder, if that is where the wav you want to use are then copy them out of the sound file and put them straight into the Audio file a level above the en folder.  

You can also delete all the languages you don't need.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
  • Like 1

Still no luck, chaps. Phillip, bearing in mind that I am an old bloke with limited computer skills and I'm using an iMac, could you please talk me through your post from yesterday in words of one syllable. I have, on the sd card, an en folder in which is a system folder containing the .wav files. I am not at all sure what the root audio folder is. Do I need to put the .wav files directly into the en folder, not within the system folder?

Sorry to be a pain and I really appreciate your help.

David

1 hour ago, David Holland 2 said:

Still no luck, chaps. Phillip, bearing in mind that I am an old bloke with limited computer skills and I'm using an iMac, could you please talk me through your post from yesterday in words of one syllable. I have, on the sd card, an en folder in which is a system folder containing the .wav files. I am not at all sure what the root audio folder is. Do I need to put the .wav files directly into the en folder, not within the system folder?

Sorry to be a pain and I really appreciate your help.

David

They go straight into the Audio folder itself, so when you plug into the PC and open the SD card (or the PC does for you) then you see folders, Audio, Models, etc. Open Audio folder and they go straight in there, the Audio folder contain the en folder, your audio folder should look like my first post above at 13:34, in the audio folder you should currently see the en folder and a file called audio version.  

The three files you see in my post leader etc are my custom sound files.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3

Now you know and if you bookmark this thread you can look back at it if you decide to update to 1.5X although I believe a fix was put into place to ensure existing sound setups weren't broken when updating as too many people didn't understand how or what they needed to change.