Sourcing 25% castor fuel

Futura57

I have an acquaintance who wants to run some old OS max rc motors which require a 25% castor oil mix with 5% nitro. He only requires a gallon at this time. Before Southern Model Craft moved from Tonbridge I would have suggested picking it up from there. Can anyone suggest an online source who would supply and deliver such a mix? He doesn't want the hassle of blending his own.

Edited by Futura57

Advert

I believe paw can supply castor oil.

Would have to check on model technics fuels...

During a recent telephone conversation with Weston's about zip diesel fuels and glow fuels, I was told that they can mix "any" customer specific fuels to order.

I was told some time ago now that Weston's fuels did not contain any caster, but it seems that is not correct these days.

Perhaps worth having a chat with the young sounding chap who mixes the fuels at Weston's ......

Im running a couple of older OS engines... 25 FSR, 32F-Heli & original 40FS (four stroke) and I'm running them on Model Technics Contest 10 with no issues,, which im actually running all  my glow engines on contest 10... I've also run Sport 5 in the past also with no issues with older OS engines

https://optiglobal.co/product/irvine-contest-10-5-litres

Edited by GaryW
  • Like 2

Having researched the OS Max 30 RC engine, other forums and sources have strongly advised even against 20% castor. The engine instructions are also quite clear. It's not my engine so I'm not going to suggest my acquaintance uses anything less. I will suggest he tries Westons. I will have a surf through all the UK model shops I use online to dig a bit deeper. In the meantime, further info is welcome.

OS30RC.thumb.jpg.b5b55dcc6ca433297cdfacd57e08a083.jpg

I have OS engines of the same vintage running 15% synthetic and 5 nitro with no issues and i cant see any reason why there ever would be.

25% oil will make an utterly horrendous mess and there is just no need for it. 

• Like 2

I run several old OS MAX engines, couple of 15's a 20 a 40 and an LA 40. All are happy on the fuel Jon suggests above. In fact all my other makes including 4 strokes run on it with one exception my Cox TD051 it likes the hot stuff.

Am I missing out on something ?.😇

This is right down my street😂

Say no more.🙃

Any fuel will do with 0%/5% nitro, the 5% will make it easier to tune, just add at least 2% caster, for good measure, although Model technics do a lot of fuels with castor in them, just take your pick, of course 20% castor will take you back 50 years with a bit of nostalgic cleaning after your days flying.

Page 1 of 50,,,😂

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
looking for a rag,,,,

11 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Don't forget that these instructions were written before modern synthetics were widely available.  Back in the day, Neil Tidey only recommended castor for Lasers...

Yea, and the 20% castor recommendation was binned in favour of 15% synth by the mid 90's, then halved to 7% a few years back. While i dont think 7% synth is a good idea in this case, 15 will be absolutely no problem. 

• Like 1

My thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Yesterday my 'acquaintance' told me that he found at the back of his garage an old half gallon of fuel which the OS Max 30 RC engine in question was run on about 15 years ago 🙄 He says it is Duraglow 5% nitro. So without any further ado I told him to source the same (fresh) or something similar going forward, and to stop wasting my time 🤬

• Like 1