Sebart Wind S 50E - conversion to DLE 20 - recommendations

Hi

Just can’t get away with electrics.  Have years of experience with diesels and glows but no experience with petrol.

I’m thinking of converting my Sebart Wind S 50 E to petrol and club mate suggested DLE 20 would be about right.

Any recommendations on what I’d need to do to modify model and what kind of gubbins do I need to go petrol?

cheers

Mike

Advert

You'll need a cdi unit (usually comes with the engine) and a suitable battery to power the cdi. A way to kill the ignition, and stop the engine immediately, is highly recommended. You'll need a fuel tank, clunk, and fuel pipe suitable for petrol. And an engine mount. Some people take pleasure from starting engines by hand, I like an electric starter

I may be alone in this view but as that model is designed for nice, vibration free electric power,  the vibration of that engine (although it us a nice engine) may give it a short life........ 

• Like 1

I think Petrol power will shake that air frame to pieces, it just wasn't designed for it and certainly wasn't made for it, take a careful look at just how much glue they don't use in the construction.

I would think getting the C of G right would also likely be an almost impossible problem.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Hi

Just can’t get away with electrics.  Have years of experience with diesels and glows but no experience with petrol.

I’m thinking of converting my Sebart Wind S 50 E to petrol and club mate suggested DLE 20 would be about right.

Any recommendations on what I’d need to do to modify model and what kind of gubbins do I need to go petrol?

cheers

Mike

Mike

I was like you.  But when I got into aerobatics, not only were the electric motors more powerful than the equivalent glows, they were also very reliable and easy to use.  Yes, it's a big investment in charging equipment and batteries but it is, IMHO and that of almost all who fly aerobatics in competition, the way to go.  It doesn't take too much effort to get your head around this new type of propulsion.  It's also a lot cheaper!  I calculated that it cost me £2 per flight with my Saito 180 while it was £1 per flight with the equivalent electric setup if I got 100 cycles out of the battery.  True, some packs failed at 50 cycles but some went for 200 cycles and are still going strong.  There is much more variability in LiPo makes and even within the same make!

I absolutely agree with Phil, the Wind will not stand up to being converted to IC. 

If you really don't want to go electric, why not choose something like the Crescent Bullet or how about this one?

Peter

• Like 3

I converted mine to IC using a YS70FZ, I did need to cut the motor box in half and remove approx 25mm to allow for the motor length of the YS, This was then reinforced with 1/16 birch plywood, and 1/16 balsa to cover up the holes in the firewall, No issues what so ever, Fit a good 0.50 size two stroke and it will be good but not a DLE 20.

Jason

• Like 1

I agree with Jason's comment that the DLE 20 isn't appropriate -  use a glow 63/70 4-stroke or 50/55 2 stroke.

I have installed YS 63S in a Sebart Angel 50S by modifying the motor box as Jason describes. I have had no problem with vibration.

Jason, what propeller do use with the YS 70 FZ?

I have a Saito 82 in my Angel 50s which is more than adequate. The engine is light for its capacity but I still need about 50g of tail weight to get a sensible CoG.

Although Sebart models are primarily intended for electric power my Angel has stood up to a couple of decades of 4 stroke power very well indeed.

6 hours ago, Robert Welford said:

I agree with Jason's comment that the DLE 20 isn't appropriate -  use a glow 63/70 4-stroke or 50/55 2 stroke.

I have installed YS 63S in a Sebart Angel 50S by modifying the motor box as Jason describes. I have had no problem with vibration.

Jason, what propeller do use with the YS 70 FZ?

Apc 14 x 6 on the Ys 70, However I have just changed back to the 63FZ myself as the 70 has too much power for the light airframe,  and I was using 30% Nitro. back to Optifuel 20/20 and the power delivery is much nicer, running on a 13 x 6 APC.

My son had a Wind S50 with a Saito 100  , never had any issues with the gear but we sold it as it never flew as well as the Angel.

I dont believe the Angel S50  had an option  for IC it was just that people decided to convert them from electric to IC hence the S50 E  

3 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

Apc 14 x 6 on the Ys 70, However I have just changed back to the 63FZ myself as the 70 has too much power for the light airframe,  and I was using 30% Nitro. back to Optifuel 20/20 and the power delivery is much nicer, running on a 13 x 6 APC.

Interesting mine is probably equally light, but feels as if it could do with more power. I'm using a 12 x 7 APC (with 20% fuel) - I will try a 13 x 6 APC.

I have a NIB YS 70 FZ as well so was thinking of changing engines in the opposite direction 🙂

15 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I believe there was an IC fixing kit available for the Angel but at around 15 quid for a few bits of wood and a tank I did my own.

How much more lightly built is the Wind than the Angel and is it really not possible to beef it up to take an engine.

Modify the motor mount to take an engine and bolt on an OS55 and you'll be fine. Dont worry about it.

17 minutes ago, Robert Welford said:

Interesting mine is probably equally light, but feels as if it could do with more power. I'm using a 12 x 7 APC (with 20% fuel) - I will try a 13 x 6 APC.

I have a NIB YS 70 FZ as well so was thinking of changing engines in the opposite direction 🙂

If your ever around Warbouys you can have a go on mine,