How Daft can you be?

Gemma Jane

Advert

i think the crown must surely go to ME...........who connected up my tx to my fast charger..and forgot to change it from lipo to nimh's...result...1 hour later...a 3 week old batt that resembled a string of sausage's and a tx back all melted and deformed......check out the thread/post on here somewhere about it(timbo)will prob put a link to it.....
could prob write a book about how not to do it......gash anderson 1st....

With that wonderful thing called hindsight, and a nudge from another user,  I felt that some of the previous postings were a tad irresponsible - including a couple of mine - so have cleaned it up a bit. We were getting somewhat away form the OP topic of modelling blunders and  more towards how to blow up your neighbours house

Some of my clasics,
W.Wind, after painting ready to do the maiden, alerions... flaps, fix..cut out 1 alerion from wing and turn it around.... onboards (glow), ... thorttles not responding ... fix after much consultion around the club, plug the servo lead in the correct way,
Wheels falling of in mid air..........forgot to tighten grub screw
In a hurry one morning, to charge up TX, didn't relise the Rx was sill plug in, no longer can use that multi purpose lead,
yes I am sure wev'e all had em
A.A.Barry
p.s who has never left there TX home?????

Posted by A.A. Barry on 28/02/2010 13:42:55:

The Tx is probably about the only thing I haven't left at home at one time or another.

Most recently, I decided mid-week that my 12v battery needed charging, so took it out of the flight box and stuck it on charge.  Next weekend I went flying and got as far as trying to fuel my heli before wondering why the fuel pump didn't work...  Yep - 12v battery was still at home on charge.

Eventually my fellow club-members stopped laughing long enough to point out that I had a mechanical pump as well as the electric one,  and to offer their flight boxes to plug my glow lead and starter into.  I'd only taken the heli with me so that would have been a bit trick to hand start!

My latest was in going to the bring and buy.Had lots of things and everyone helped unload the car.I had a yellow an black low winger.Remember taking the wings out of the car  into the hall.Checked everything was out of the car.Arrived in the hall auction started.Sold lots of things ,bought a couple of items also.At home that evening checking off my list.Realised the little yellow and black one was missing.Coulnt remeber it being auctioned and certainly hant brought it home.Remember being one of the last to leave,checked around nothing left,a mystery.Next day arrived at work,opened workshop to be greeted by a little Black and yellow fuselage,still havent figured out where the wings have gone

Hmm, where should one start!

1. When using 35MHz, i took off with the ariel down, and soon most control. Luckily i realised as it was heading down and corrected it.

2. Starting my heli in Idle-Up (full throttle).

3. Starting my heli, carrying, it out. Raising the left stick and realising it was not turned on.

Posted by John Privett on 28/02/2010 13:53:59:
Posted by A.A. Barry on 28/02/2010 13:42:55:

The Tx is probably about the only thing I haven't left at home at one time or another.

Most recently, I decided mid-week that my 12v battery needed charging, so took it out of the flight box and stuck it on charge.  Next weekend I went flying and got as far as trying to fuel my heli before wondering why the fuel pump didn't work...  Yep - 12v battery was still at home on charge.

Eventually my fellow club-members stopped laughing long enough to point out that I had a mechanical pump as well as the electric one,  and to offer their flight boxes to plug my glow lead and starter into.  I'd only taken the heli with me so that would have been a bit trick to hand start!

I've forgotten my Tx alright, but has anyone ever forgotten theri plane...?

Of course, the sharp, amazing me would never do that...

Turned up at the field with a warlord control line combat model but I was the only one there.  Desperate to fly but having no one to launch for me I hit upon the idea of using a pole pushed into the ground at the mid point of the lines.  Wrapping the lines around the pole I would then launch with my right hand and hold the handle in the left.   The plane flew away from me and 1/2 a lap later, its flying normally.

Rule 1...all I had to do was remember to keep the lines higher than the top of the pole once flying normally. 

When you forget  Rule 1, the lines hit the pole and .....guess where its heading!!! 
It takes a good 1/4 of a lap to realise whats happening and 1/4 of a lap to dive for your life!! 

For subsequent efforts I moved over to the pole after take off.

Cheers
Windy 

Off for a weekend's slope soaring many years ago.  Loaded car with tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and all paraphernalia for creature comforts.  Stacked planes and tools, etc. on top.  Last trip from upstairs store room to car was with my Tx.  At top of the stairs Tx slips from my grasp and cartwheels all the way to the bottom, bits flying off in all directions.  Much very bad language!

I spoes the silliest thing i've ever done was this week  end put twoplanes on charge  with their radios  got down the patch to day  went to get my record breaker  ready to fly and switched tranie on IT WAS DEAD i put it on charge switched on  TD

Edited By TAIL DRAGGER on 07/03/2010 20:32:12

I was last man off site one glorious winter's day last year so had to lock the gate.  The lock proved quite difficult to close so I took off my very expensive sunglasses, the type which come with four lenses in a nice little black bag, put them on the roof of the car, put my reading glasses on, and thought, "Don't forget that the sunglasses are on top of the car," sorted out the lock, secured the gate and.... drove off without retrieving my sunglasses!

I went back later twice to see whether they'd fallen off by the roadside but I never saw them again.

Just finished building a coachman (RCM&E free plan) and decided to fit my old 35Mhz gear to save the cost of another 2.4 receiver.  Had its' maiden yesterday, and flew very nicely.  Was feeling very smug and superior that, despite dire warnings, I didn't forget to to extend the aerial before take off.  At least for the first two flights.  On the third one, however............. You can guess the rest.   I have the technology....I CAN rebuild it

When Solafilm first came out and I bought my first consignment, no instructions came with it.
I was told to stick it on with a domestic iron and then heat it up to shrink it.
The ironing bit went fine but my idea of holding the wings over an open gas cooker ring to shrink it, wasn't !!!!

Edited By RobC on 09/03/2010 14:58:43

Edited By RobC on 09/03/2010 14:59:25

the daftest thing I did was when I had some plans of an model reduced by 15% got every thing ready to make up got out all the balsa & light ply started marking out all the ribs & bulkheads tail bits all cut & ready to start assembling only to find out I had done all the work for the original size.

This little incident goes back manys years, long before the days of TX servo reversing. I went out to fly a Sig Piper Cub, this was to be its first flight.

I attached the wing and went through all the usual pre flight checks, check the aileron thrown and direction. Hmmmmmmm, ailerons moving in the wrong direction. I spent what must have been an hour bending bits of wire in an attempt to reconfigure the aileron servo, so they operated in the correct direction.

At last all done, refit the wing, guess what. Yeah, they were operating the correct way in the first place. DOH, Their is a moral their somewhere. I only did that once.

Regards

Martin.

One Sunday morning, last year, I inadvertently charged the Nimhs in my DX7 transmitter as Lipos causing the Tx to get so hot it couldn't be touched by hand. Fortunately Horizon Hobby repaired the equipment free of charge and didn't even charge me for return postage  

• 2 weeks later...
Just a couple;

1.  Being safety-minded I tend to field-charge my li-pos on the ground behind my car. The field battery lives in the boot of my car, and is attached to the charger via long leads.  Now. it's not as if anyone would be stupid enough to drive the 5 miles home dragging both charger and li-po behind the car, now would it?

Suffice to say that although the charger was still hanging on its wires, the li-po was missing.  Back-tracking my route immediately, I found the errant 3S 1800 cell-pack in the gutter a couple of miles back up the road.  Unfortunately, it had been run over at least once by other traffic........

2.  I've been final-assembling my new own-design model this week.  It features a T-tail, and so really depends on a firm joint between the tailplane and the top of the fin.  So I made the joint with PVA, and left it all pinned and rubber-banded together overnight.  So far so good.

The following day I removed the pins and bands, only to watch as the tailplane fluttered to the floor all by itself.  I really should make sure I remove the Solarfilm from the areas to be glued  before I glue them together......

tim

I recently took a model to the field and the engine made dreadfull noises,like a big end gone but wouldnt start.Checked it all over,brand new only a run in and couple of flights.Checked the prop was tight still the same.Removed . it and sent it back to the supplier.He informed me that the spinner nut was to short and wasnt tightening the prop All the noises were from the prop not turning the engine.with the new prop nut fitted it runs superbly  and  sweetly.

Stupid thing I did years ago. spent time building a nice pattern plane , chilliwind If I  remember correct.  Put the reciever that was sitting on the bench into it forgetting that the receiver had been in a wreck a couple of weeks prior.   Must say the new plane taxied nice ,but that was all . as if left the ground it was apparent that control was gone and before you say range test , yes it did test ok .
it did a nice climbout and roll reversal ,then hit the ground. best way to describe the impact was an explosion of balsa and foam.

No come to think of it thats not the dumbest thing .
I was making a foam wing and when applying the spray foam got it all over the bench.rolled on the balsa skin then sprayed the other side by standing the wing on edge, but it slipped and ended up on the overspray on the bench. I ended up pulling big lumps of polly out of the wing when i tried to separate it from the bench.