Malta

ken anderson.

thanks terry and young jo..........Mrs A puts up with the model flying bit of my life(just)...but when she attempts to explain to me about your knitting/crochet projects - she may as well speak Chinese ...... Paul you must go and visit-the model flying club is good and the modeller's are really friendly........should I win the lottery between now and the visit-I'll be hiring a private jet to nip across to jo's for a cuppa.....

ken Anderson ..... ne...1 we need a lottery win dept/asap.

I've only just seen this thread. What a nice story of you meeting up with Victor and his family so many times, Ken.

We had our honeymoon in Malta 5 years ago, and stayed in Valetta at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. We loved Malta so much that when we were in the departure lounge at Luga coming home, we decided that we would get home, wash our clothes, re-pack the cases and go back for another week! So we did

The Maltese are so friendly. What we realised was that when we would walk into a shop, if there were staff talking in Maltese, they would immediately start talking in English. Everyone we met, were so friendly and warming, and the food is amazing.

We will be going back, that's for sure. I wasn't into RC at the time when we went, but when we do go back, I shall look up the flying club.

Have fun Ken.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your friend Ziza Ken.

If you are looking for some holiday reading in Malta, try A Pair Of Silver Wings by James Holland. Although a novel, it is based on true events and real characters who took part in the Siege of Malta, the most bombed place on earth at the time. It tracks the wartime career of pilot Edward Enderby from his training in Canada to convoy patrols from an RAF station in Cornwall, to Malta then Italy. A very good read I thought if your at all interested in aircraft.

Posted by Colin Ashman on 18/04/2014 08:54:46:

D'oh!!

Colin Ashman....ne..1 red faced dept

...................................................................................

no harm Colin.......the lads over there who read this will be over the moon that she has got a mention....and if there is a replacement...I'll get a photo ..

ken Anderson ne...1 ...........international dept.

Kevin, that first picture of St Paul's bay brings back memories of the many diving holidays we had there in the 90's. We stayed in St Paul's apartments which is on the left of your picture, and the dive school was under the Guillieru restaurant on the right.

Not been back since then, but I'm now very tempted.

Have a great time Ken, I'm very jealous!

1560464_737336482978146_1853195510_n.jpgZiza.jpgThanks Ken for mentioning Ziza in your post. she died on 2nd April this year and I was there. we are miss her a lot, here are some pictures of her. In one of them she is attending the Mass organized last year during the open weekend.I'm the one standing with the orange Futaba t-shirt.She sat in front of the priest.1975063_639847946086847_769089963_n.jpg

Posted by Essjay on 18/04/2014 10:03:01:

Kevin, that first picture of St Paul's bay brings back memories of the many diving holidays we had there in the 90's. We stayed in St Paul's apartments which is on the left of your picture, and the dive school was under the Guillieru restaurant on the right.

Not been back since then, but I'm now very tempted.

Have a great time Ken, I'm very jealous!

The photos for that "Panograph" were taken from our Hotel balcony, which just happened to be the Gillieru Harbour Hotel.

The diving club is still there under the restaurant.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

well the trip to Malta for this year has come and gone.....I met up with the king of Malta (victor saliba) ... yes the same lad who is in the latest mag...and we spent some time with him and his nice family.....including some genuine Maltese cooking by victor's wife Sandra.......also on our last day there was an Italian film crew in the capital Valletta who were doing some filming using a FPV quad......we waited to see it in action..... there was a delay...I was told due to 'red tape'..(I wonder why)...I have some video of it - I'll get my man-old carry on the case......anyway have a look at of couple of photo's inc..victor's model room....which has the most RC models I've seen....of all shapes and size's.....check out victor's photo album...and that's the ME 262 he is standing next to that is in this month's mag also...

ken Anderson...ne....1 .......med dept.

malta 143.jpg

malta 145.jpg

malta 144.jpg

malta 142.jpg

malta 141.jpg

Edited By ken anderson. on 08/05/2014 14:47:54

• 8 months later...

It is coming up for that time of year again!!!

SWMBO sat at the computer today and "accidentally" pressed the "yes" button to a short 6 day break on Malta next month.

St. Paul`s bay again same hotel, Gillieru Harbour Hotel.

Our third stay here. Basic, but ideal for travelling round the Island.

Oh happy days.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 01/02/2015 20:45:07

The parlour opposite I do not think is still there.

We do however make a habit of leaving enough room on our walk back from Bugibba to stop at one of the many ice cream parlours.

There is a fantastic little restaurant opposite the hotel called Da Rosi. The food as out of this world and fresh from the sea each day. We go at least twice during each stay.

Kev