Awesome weather - how much flying are you getting in?

Kilbirnie Loch. Splash-in. Some optimistic guys turned up on Saturday, well the weather was not the best and a lot worse further East. Still, some flew between heavy showers which just got worse till the numbers got down to three to put the boat away. Then it got quite nice for ,,,,,

Sunday made it up though, with both good weather and a reasonable number of pilots. Yep, I did fly, then went to fly again and the Northstar's Spektrum AR7000 rx stopped working

Sods law, switched it on at home, servos powered ok, so will try a re-bind tomorrow,

today i agreed to join up with certain member's of the HTP......at the site at the river tyne..........it was like flying with member's of local circus........a certain member trying to kill the other's...another trying to wipe out some tourist's....and finally one who is now an ex friend trying to send my model(pride and joy actually) to a watery grave........i have some photographic evidence...but it's too incrimanating to publish the said pic's......i'll be putting them in a vault for times when certain people decided to get idea's above their station............  the only good thing was it was a nice day weather wise......back to the drawing board for some i think......    ...

ken anderson    ne....1...    (front firing line)....

Ken

Feel the Zeit  Geist, it is no longer the time of the Helf & Savty extremist's.

Embrace your free spirit colleagues, learn to live, take control of your own safety.

I feel freedom, and it feels really good. The lunatics are being placed back in the asylum.

I am charging my models for a taste of freedom tomorrow, the forecast looks good.

Erfolg

In between heavy rain showers down here on the south east coast, there was a very calm spell on Monday during which I could skive off at lunchtime and  fly my little Flying Wings Mini V-Tail foamie to new heights  (white foam very visible against black clouds!) and the "patch" was surprisingly dry considering, drains must be working well.

This is probably the first time I have been out flying a model mid-week for some time.

Mind you it very nearly did not happen, just before lunch, dark clouds covered the whole of the sky, then the lightning flashes, thunder and hailstone. This is not how it is supposed to be! The weather forecast was foe a sunnyish day. It soon passed though, the sun was shining, towering cumulus could be seen in places and the wind, it was a bit breezy.

At the field, the sun was in the wrong place. The sun was directly up wind. Who put it there!

I had a flight with my recently crashed sports model, all was well. Birds were singing in the trees etc.

I then switched to my electric A1/2  type glider. This flew well, yet the wind was of sufficient strength, I could just point it into wind, back of the power and hover 5m up, for as long as the power lasted.

A few others turned up later. What took me aback was that the wind was sufficiently strong that three models embarked on cartwheels on landing, with various orders of damage. So much for a 10 mph wind. I left the field, some what smug, feeling confident. I then thought, Hmmmm, it is only a matter of time before my next cock up, error of judgement. I am not feeling that confident now.

I had no trouble with errant walkers, no you can't do that, what about..........................

Yep a pleasant afternoon. I will send you a bottle Ken.

well the week-end weather up here has been a bit nasty-----compared to the weather guru's prediction(young asher's by name)...see other thread......i wont be asking him for the winning lottery number's.....  ..anyway according to one of my spy's-i have it on good authority that ds/enrico/fredrico had a mishap at our field in my absence... ie..his motor shaft snapped on his new model(m/pex acromaster)...this a model he paid hard earned reddie's for.....he told her indoor's he won it in a raffle.... 

watch this space for more news as it comes in....

ken anderson...ne..1...

Edited By ken anderson. on 10/10/2010 18:28:05

Yesterday was supposed to be sunny but it never matieraliseut it was a good day and flew my Harmon Rocket and Mamselle.Took my Super Scorpion but coulnt get the engine to run .reliably so couldnt flt it.After getting up early,I watched the GP and the Moto gp.Did some housework ,the sun came out and spent the rest of the day flying the Harmon Rocket a until and Fun Cubuntil 5.30pm.The nearest to a crash came from a Microlite.He took off came over me and did a rolling loop,when upside down above me the engine stopped..It seemed to stop inverted.It then came over and he turned it down wind and whilst trying to restart theengine landed in the field we fly over.I then heard him restart the engine,take off  do a fairly sharp turn ,get up to height carry out to rolling loops appearing to be heading straight down towards me do a couple of low passes,and then came round for a slow low pass waving.Very exhilerating to watch but absolutely mad.

Fabulous Indian summer sort of a day here too Ken - flew the Easterly slope up the Great Orme, overlooking the pier.
Tremendous lift, got sunburnt, a little exercise, and all in all.... a cracking day.
This is the view from that particular slope, looking east towards the Big Rock's little brother, the Little Orme.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 10/10/2010 19:07:42

Lochearnhead splash-in. Nope it was NOT calm summer weather as the wind greatly exceeded the forecasts.

Quite a surprise though were the number of pilots who flew, given that just about every wave had a curly white top and a height of up to eighteen inches. The best models turned out to be the little electric lightweights along with models with enough power to take off with a short run. The small river with a gravel bar at the mouth gave a smoother run for them.

I WILL be getting organised with some small leccy's as I chickened out from risking the IC models I had with me. Weather forecasters 

Great day today. Plenty of sunshine. Bit breezy bit nothing really troublesome. Took two models, flew each 3 times during the afternoon. Had a chat and a laugh along the way. And at the end of the day put both models back in the car in perfect condition. It doesn't get much better than that!

BEB

It is great that so many had a good Sundays flying.

In my case I believed the weather forecast, wind speed in the low 20's. So I slept in, there were also some other good  reasons.

I did not get to our field until 11.30, either everyone had gone, or had also been frightened of by the forecast. Getting out of the car the wind seemed no more than 10mph, the sun was shinning, yes the weather was good..

I just had the one flight, it is never the same , by yourself. But then again I have spent a few afternoons flying totalling around the sky, and really enjoyed the time.

It was such a nice day and fearing the that this was the end of summer, I went for a walk around the field. This in itself was enjoyable, as i watched the residents Buzzards. I know nothing about birds and possibly this is why i am so easily surprised. I had thought that buzzards lived always in pairs, holding a territory. But here there were six, seemingly flying in pairs mostly. I am always fascinated how these birds leave the coppice at tree level, then seemingly without effort, start to circle, gaining height. Here one after another emerged, until there were 6 in the air. I really was very surprised when one came streaking in to the rear of one of the birds, after a flutter, they locked talons and tumbled earthwards. I understood that they did something similar in spring, when forming a pair, it was now autumn and at lowish level. I at first thought it was a Hobby, that patrols our area, not thinking that Buzzards could fly that fast, never mind engage another bird in what appeared a threatening manner.

So it turned out well. As my parents have said, a lot depends on how you react to experiences, as to how you find them. 

Till next week.

Popped out yesterday afternoon and like Erfolg, found a deserted field!  Decided that the wind would most likely moderate an hour or two later so spent the next couple of hours contemplating the sky and scenery from our tractor as I took the opportunity to trim 5 acres worth of the recent unseasonable growth. Like Erfolg's field, we have a local population of Buzzards and also Red Kites - although there are rumours that a local gamekeeper has had a hand in making the population lower than it should be.

Decided the wind wasn't going to die down, got out my foamie that laughs in the face of hurricanes and typhoons (not the Hawker type) and found the rudder servo hanging off - and no epoxy to hand.

At least the field looks immaculate... 

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/10/2010 15:45:39

Stephen

Some of the great mysteries for me are the birds which, I do not know, cannot see  at all well due to there size etc. On Wednesday i disturbed a group of about 50 very small birds, no amount of description could help other modellers identify what they were. It was the same with the Hobby, I am pretty certain, I first saw it, about 6 months or so back, I described how it sat on a power line post, then flew of,  raceing along the hedges, rather the circular flight of sparrow hawks etc. I subsequently saw it a number of times, with similar behaviour. It took a modeller who knew about birds to see and identify what it is.

I have been surprised how many just ignore us, only taking to flight if almost falling over them, from  Pheasants, Skylarks etc. In the air all seem to ignore models, except the occasional Crow, who quickly take fright if you loop onto there tail.

Aeromodelling is truly absorbing at many levels.

We sometimes have encounters with the Kites, where they wander over from the trees as if to check out a new model, fly with it for a minute or two and then wander back to carry on their business having satisfied their curiosity. A group of pheasants a couple of weeks ago refused to even wander away from where I was harriering my foamy - not even a cluck from them...

today we had good weather in the north east of the UK.......at our club site we had a good turn out and even got a bit of warm sunshine......enrico the foreign lad-who is now dabbling with electric model's...is buying any second hand lipo's he can get......and one hook(who will remain/nameless)...took his eye's out with some 2200's that were ready for the old lipo's home........he was lucky to get a flight out of them...but he thought he had got a bargain........suppose it stem's from his culture/custom's etc.......back home...

ken anderson   ne....1..   ....