flying styles thumbs or fingers

kiwi g

we were having a disscusion the other day about the best way of holding the transmitter.sticks. Some of us use our thumbs and some use there fingers .
Thumb flyers reckon the movement is more natural and the finger flyers claim theyre more acurate on the sticks.
The thumb flyers up and across movement was more accurate than the finger guys and it was interesting to note that at our club the finger flyers had more accidents .
so what do you guys reckon . fingers or thumbs , Note transmitter trays not allowed.....

Advert

Mixture of both,  Mode 2  Index finger and thumb on the right stick and thumb on the left stick.  Thumbs is ok on planks but finger and thumb on helis in my opinion is a must.  Helis need that little more control.  However at the end of the day its what you are comfortable with.  However most helicopter instructors will teach you finger and thumb.

I learnt using thumbs and switched to finger and thumb several years ago.  At the time I only flew f/wing, but now fly helis as well. 

I feel that finger and thumb gives more precise control, though for the first few flights after switching it did feel odd! 

I do use a neckstrap on my tx, though if I fly anybody else's without a neckstrap I still use finger and thumb - the neckstrap does make holding the tx a little little more secure though - not that I've ever dropped a tx when flying!

A friend of mine was having problems with elevator control. hes of the larger type of person and the problem was when holding the sticks with finger and thumb they were hitting on the outter rim of the transmitter.
It took us a while to discover why he was hitting the ground ,he always had good thro on control surfaces but his fingers were stopping him pulling full up.
Check and see if you are having this problem if you crash a bit.
As for the dispute of thumbs verse fingers if you look at the sticks they are called thumbsticks and have a serated top for thumb control. and lack of slip .
I have to agree that when flying my helis I  change to thumb and fingers as the control of a chopper for me is more of a circular motion and alot more gentle.
Cheers Kiwi G

Interesting to see the heli flyers are mainly fingers and thumbs for precise control
.it makes sense
I find i  cant move the sticks in a vertical movement accurately and always pull to the right on up elevator and push left on down when using fingers and thumb.
Mode 1.
I imagine this would be worse if i was mode two as the plane would roll on alieron.
Not good for my aerobatic planes.
Ive noticed people training pilots this way and some beginners have this very problem of rolling and turning.
When I ve suggested trying the thumbs they have been more accurate in climbing straight and turning.
Any thoughts

Just thumbs for both fixed wing and Heli's.
I think you have more movement in just thumbs as if you try without the transmitter in your hand, just moving your thumbs is very easy but when you put your finger together with your thumb it resricts movement and tends to move all of the other fingers.

Thumbs.  That is the way I was taught back in '75 and , like the Mode 1 or Mode 2 argument, there is no right answer.  Whatever feels comfortable.  As for thumbs slipping off due to sweat or oily fingers, that is what clothes are for.  A quick wipe on the nearest piece of clothing (normally rear of shorts !!) sorts that out ASAP.

We fly at the moment in temps of between 30° (early morning, like 6am) and 43°C (by 10:30 or so as it is summer in Dubai) accompanied by high humidity and I have never seen or heard of anyone complain about losing grip on the stick.  Just take a look at the print it leaves on your thumb after a flight to know that the sharp knurling works !!

Thumbs definitely. You can't move the sticks as fast or acurately with thumbs and fingers. TRy it now.

Proof!

Years ago I had a friend who flew my models for the camera while I took photos. He used finger and thumb. He always complained how hard my models were to fly. I like lots of control authority.

I told him to fly thumbs only. End of problem.