Whats a good colour model for winter flying ?

Merlin spit

all of mine are blue ,green,or ww11 camo,and even with those yellow tint glasses ive got a job to see whats going on up there.so what do you guys find a good colour for dark days ?

ive been thinking about getting a cub ,i like the grasshopper scheme ,but maybe the classic yellow would be better for this time of year ?

Advert

• 1 month later...
It's a good idea to have light coloured fuselage sides and fin so that you can see the plane sideways on against trees or high ground. I always use different bold patterns above & below the wings for orientation. Another idea is a bright coloured tailplane (stabiliser?), if the plane noses into undergrowth or crops the tail sticks up and you can spot it if it's bright coloured. Hope this helps.

It's not a question of what stands out against a dull background, it's a question of what colour the human eye can pick up and the brain proceess rapidly as it moves against any background.

In other words, what colours have we evolved to detect and assess with rapidity? Yellow, orange and black. Think about it: Pretty much everything that will sting, bite, poison or maul you is some of the previous three colours. Wasps, lions, nasty spiders, some plants, bees etc, etc, etc.

Also, certain colours help us to process speed movement and size. That's why on motorways the lighting is orange because it allows you to judge very well the fact that there is a car in front of you, how far away it is, how fast it is moving, direction it is moving and how rapid its size (how close it is getting) is changing. What this does not do is tell you exactly what colour it is, but what the hey if it means you don't crash into it?

Martin Harris is spot on in my opinion. The easiest to see and orientate to is very dark underside and very light topside.
I've used dark blue and white also black and white (with a bit of dark trim on topside on both).
I like the idea from LHF though, so I think I'm going to try yellow on top next time. (I don't agree about motorway orange lights though....!)