Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Not an article suggestion but nonetheless, here goes.

I'm a fairly recent return to modelling and my roots are way back in the past (anyone else recall the single channel, non-crystal controlled transmitter that was built into an Oxo tin? )

Years back, when Aeromodeller was in its heyday, they categorised the engines in groups. Allbon Bambi was 'A', Dart was 'C', etc. It went on up to 10 cc engines which at that time were the largest legal size(above that you had to get an exemption from the CAA) - then they stated in the plan articles which group engine was suitable.

Now if something like that could be done with the electric and infernal confusion engines, it would remove a lot of guesswork. That would mean that Johnny Flyboy could glance at an article or kit and see whether or not his Superglow 1000 was suitable or maybe he should think about a smaller engine.

It would also take the guesswork out of 'what sort of power do I need to electrify it?'

"I was chuffed to see a recent blog on forum for an easy to fly & build autogyro but before I could get

printed up it disapeared. could you restore it please Mr Administrator. D Critcher."

Darn it, someone's been messing about with the reply box and the quote function has disappeared.....frown

Anyway, Derek, do you mean this thread?

Pete

How's about an article that shows how a trad builder, ARF buider and perhaps a depron builders space and needs are? What do their work spaces require? Perhaps the tools needed for each? I think it would be very interesting to see how each differse from the other. Also you could inclued the differences from gaint scale modelers and park flyers and indoor flyers.

Just a thought

Posted by Steve Houghton on 16/02/2012 12:54:28:

We have seen articles about trimming power models but I don't remember too many about trimming gliders. I refer to the old skills of trimming them to fly without our intervention, leaving us free to enjoy interrupting their flight paths to search for lift or throw them around a liitle.

Andy Ellison did a superb piece on trimming gliders a while back....might have been in the last but one "Special" I'll see if I can find it. He covered it pretty well I thought.....I was almost inspired to buy a moulded glider......almost!!

• 4 months later...

i know you have covered this topic before but i for one am still non the wiser about understanding electrics. maybe you could do a step by step guide with photos too on how to set up different power systems and then explain how to understand the info that you get from a watt meter. as im real thick i would like a guide on how to use the watt meter in the fist place. give me wood and im fine, i can see it, feel it and therefore understand what i can do with it, but electrics? well its another world to me!

I'd like to see more proper kit reviews. Loads of ARTF's, but I want more kit reviews! I liked the Crescent Bullet one and the Skyliner/Bean reviews, but there needs to be more!

What about the SLEC Funfly? There was a start in a Pete Lowe section in 2008 but nothing else and no flight review, and I know he finished the model because he used it in his workshop video series on engine mounts. How about the Pegasus models Jester bipe? Brilliant little plane, no review.

More kits!

CS

hi all

i personly think that there sould be a article about the mysterious world of electric flight.

i say this because i am having to replace the motor and ESC on my faithful wot 4 foam-e and there are so many different think you can buy, outrunners, inrunners, ubec ESC the list could go on forever angry

so for this reson alone i would like to see more about electric flight.

regards chris

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 14/07/2012 17:40:21:

An idiot proof (ie me) way to set up tuned pipes on all sizes of engines with all the pitfalls. Preferable with maths formulae I can understand!

Andy Ellison did a good pice on the basics of tuned pipes a while ago......I'll see if I can find out which mag it was in.....

David, I would like to see an article on how to cover models, not so much with new coverings but the old ways like cloth, dope & glass, it seems to have gone out of fashion now ways have got easier but Isuspect a lot of people like me would give it a try if only we knew how. thanks Colin

I agree with Colin

an article on glassing models with epoxy, polyester and water based resins.

Also painting with different paints humbrol, tamiya and such like, or even as other people on the forum are using household paints! be it sprayed on or brushed on.

cheers woody

I don't find articles about ARTFs boring, but I do think that most reviews are superficial. I bought a Cessna 182 based on one such article, and found several significant shortcomings that were not even mentioned in the review. Had I been wise to them, I wouldn't have bought the model.

Comparisons tests would be welcome. It's easy enough to read about a particular radio, or engine, but how does it compare with others in its price-range?

I would like to see more detail about building from plans, as I'm not going to lay out the considerable cost of a plan and parts kit when I don't know if I have the knowledge to follow it. A step-by-step guide about how to relate the actual work to the plan would encourage me to give it a try. I'm sure experienced builders will think that it's easy, but not all of us do.

I would also like to see more on adapting ARTFs to look more realistic and less toy-like.

I would like to see a little more robustness about the letters page. Ten years ago, letters were more combative, but now they are very bland and hardly worth reading (even my own!).

Edited By Hellcat on 15/07/2012 16:37:12

The comparison review between those 3 ARTF follow on trainers was great, so more comparisons would be good.

I'd also like to see more tips from building from plans.

More kit reviews (SLEC Funfly, Pegasus Jester, Wots wot) is what I really want to see.

And perhaps a plan for a 60 inch span Concorde with retracts, working nose and visor for EDF?! Get Tony Nijhuis on the case!

CS (still obsessed with Concorde)

I have noticed recently that ARTF reviews only include photos taken at the flying field. Although these are of excellent quality, a couple of pictures of "how it comes" would be nice. Also, the reviewer often finds faults or shortcomings with the model, and describes how they got around them. Photos would be nice.

I often wonder about ARTF reviews written in RCME. It sometimes seems that negative areas are side stepped or glossed over. To be too critical would be at odds with the need to continuously generate advertising income. Conflict of interest? The best reviews which normally highlight negative aspects tend to be discussed on internet forums unrelated to any supplier or distributor. Although such forums rarely highlight positive attributes of ARTF's. I wonder if RCME could look at someway of being a bit more bold or maybe taking comments from reviewers unrelated to the magazine?

Well, not all mags are the same DG3, we don't trim/alter our reviewers comments and (if you read them) you'll see they regularly highlight the faults they come across. We do ask our writers to be fair and balanced though and we try and ensure models go to those who have the ability to make informed comment.

If you look a bit closer too you'll find that many of the models we review are from those who don't advertise.

We did have a section here where reviews and reviewers could be challenged and specific models discussed but it was closed through undersue. If anyone has any specific and informed feedback on a particular model then they're always very welcome to post.

Despite what people find easy to assume, we make the mag for our readers and, if you look closely, you'll see that, over the years we've lost advertising when advertsisers haven't been happy with what the reviewer had to say. So be it.

Details though my man, I want to know the reviews you're referring to.

This will go off topic so can you start a new thread for the model in question or just continue one of the existing threads on the same subject, thanks.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 18/07/2012 10:03:01

David

At the risk of repeating what I have already told the your 'brov' the editor in a private email:

• Workshop design - review the different workshops out there and the abundance of good ideas behind them!!!! The main contributors should be the starting point....perhaps this could be a 'from the workshop' theme?
  • The role of the BMFA and how it is changing and needs to change....I'll personally do the interview with David Phipps for nowt!
  • The three satirical slightly 'tongue in cheek' ordinary clubman articles I have already written and submited to Graham (last year!) would be a good starting point - the not quite up to standard photos was a lame excuse for not trying them out....

Jon

• 1 month later...

How about some 'Head to head' reviews (or call them 'Spinner to spinner'!) where you review two comparable models from different manufacturers together! You could have 'Foam-E Wot 4 vs Riot' (yes I know the Riot has already been done, can't think of many!)

Even better, you could do it with a kit and then the ARTF version, like the PB Bullet vs Ripmax Bullet or SLEC Funfly vs Black horse Twister etc. Yes, same plane but there are big differences!

The mag is great, but I think it needs more comparisons, maybe in each review have a small box with a rival product. And at the end of each review, below the quality, ease of assembly and skill ratings, just an overall mark out of 10 rating would be very nice (you could have 6.5, 7.5 etc.)

CS

Reviews of equipment after time

What I mean is this eg ARTF reviews fly the model a few times and report but how do these models stand up after 12 months .some design of material floors dont always show up in the first few flighs

same for other equipment like motors, engines and servos. cheeper equipment mat be fine out of the box but do the last.

and as already said more direct comparison revews please