Giving it that weathered used look

andrew wise 2

I am just about to finish putting together my 60"P51 Mustang. It looks good but all to new looking. Does any have any good hints and tips on how to add that weathered used look particularly aroung the exhaust stubs. guns, and off the back of the wing roots etc.Thanks.

Edited By andrew wise 2 on 10/01/2010 13:57:56

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Andrew, there are loads of tutorials etc on weathering scattered around the web. Much of the stuff I do with the airbrush, pastels, and washes etc are all explained on the RCSB site.

For exhaust soot, be careful to follow the airflow over the top of the wing, and use greys. Often there is a hint of lighter grey in the centre of the exhaust staining close to the exhausts themselves.

One little tip is don't use black, dark greys yes but not pure black, it is too strong. Even the black registration markings on RAF fighters weren't black but "night" a very dark grey.

A silver paint pen is great for scuffing marks, and chipped panel edges, or Tamiya aluminum paint applied with a dry brush, ie you use very little paint.

understanding weathering on RCSB

You will have to register to acces the site, but it is free.

Cheers
Danny

I covered my hurricane with grey ultracover, and pressed panellines in the covering.
Then painted it. Then I chipped of paint randomly along the lines etc. before I put on
a layer with clear cote for fuelproofing. All paint with Humbrol enamel and useing small roller and brushes.

My weathering...

She has been flying about 60 times now, and even more (and natural) weathering
is added. Looks much better than all fabric new.....

Edited By gadyrdal on 06/02/2010 20:22:46

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Iv'e found the best way to tone down a bright  new finish is to dust with light coats of dirty thinners . Well not exactly dirty  but thinners with just a tiny ammount of black or dark brown paint added  . Apply light coats letting it fall onto the model ,dont spray direct onto model or you will get patchesof diferent shades. Any areas  that need dark streaks can be acheived with pencil lead sanded to a powder and applied with your finger.If you apply too much it can be removed with some meths .Its not poisonous as some people think . Exhuast  marks on war birds are usually a light grey colour again apply light coats of coloured thinners until satisfied When happy with the result seal it with coat of  Tough coat fuel proofer . I mix up some matt and satin together to get that proper look . too flat or too shiny will look wrong.  Good luck with the project
Nice Hurricane Gadyrdal Is it a DB ? What engine is fitted ? I have just built one for a  mate  Power is a dl 50 . I covered that with Brown paper and PVA. Panel lines were achived with either brown paper strip stuck on  a or Sheets cut to represent the actual panels . Rear of fus was covered in solartex and all the camouflage is painted on using Spectrum enamel . its waiting for the detail and weathering at the moment but will hopefully fly this summer.

The Hurricane is a build out of the Tony Nijhuis drawings that came with RCM&E back in 2008. On the picture above it is fitted with an Evolution .61 two-stroke, but I changed it to an ASP .61 fourstroke after 10 flights, because the twostroke were just too much engine.
.61 fourstroke is just perfect for this plane, even with 600grams of lead in the cowling.
AUW is 3,9 kilos

Buildthread in norwegian, but with pictures: http://scalewarbird.hopto.org/forum/index.php?topic=686.0

Edited By gadyrdal on 23/02/2010 22:47:02