What do you get for 1350 quid?

Boots

Advert

Lots of street cred but little else.
Reminds me of fishing when I consistently out fished my boat partner. I had a cheap Shimano rod bought in a sale; he had the £600+ Sage outfit and caught b****r all.
Each to his own I suppose.
I looked on your profile and note you fly on a budget. Me too, what ever I can save will either be converted into beer vouchers or deposited in my daughters bank account. Either way, I cannot see the point on paying large sums on equipment unecessarily.
No doubt there will now be a storm of protest so batten down the hatches.....

Posted by Boots on 17/09/2010 21:15:57:
I noticed a top of the range futaba tx for 1600 pounds , what does it give you a 250 pound one doesnt ??

An MP3player.

More switches, so that you look important.

An MP3 player.

All your mates go Ooooh!!

An MP3 player

Banktuptcy (and a shouting at from 'er indoors)

An MP3 player

A cuddly toy

A Fondue Set

Garden Shears

Oh! did I mention the MP3 player?

It's no good to me because I dont have an MP3 to play!!

If someone feels the need to buy a high end radio be it Futaba's 14MZ or JR's 12SX such radios can make a vast difference "in the right hands" to setting up a competition model with all sorts of facilities that I don't have the intention of going into here. Yes they are heavy, containing a lot of different engineering ie ball raced gimbals to name but one.
                    For sure you'll come across people who buy such transmitters purely for the "bling" effect, this is common in most endeavours / hobbies in life but don't denegrate everyone you see with such a transmitter as being a poser, and finally before you ask I do not have such a trannie myself I use a Futaba 10C cost a tad over £300 which I find more than adequate for my needs and capabilities

Ultymate, Don't be so touchy.  This is still almost a free country and you can buy what you can afford.  "In the right hands" smacks of eliteisim.  What can the 14MZ do that a Hitec Aurora cannot, at a quarter of the price.  Well, there is the MP3 player!!

I will say this,  If I owned the best, most tricked out, Tx in the world, I still would'nt make it to Ashley Hoyland's tea table.  F3A is, and has always been, my dream.  To miss-quote Alex Whittacre ('pologies for the spelling) I am a "Trad Brit Modeling Savage" and when it comes down to it,  it's all down to those two sticks, skill and lots of practice.  I have partaken of lots (and lots) of practice, I have the two sticks, something is still missing...

Do you remember when the McGregor DigiMac single channel was state of the art?

Given a lottery win, Multiplex.  Hands down winner.  Very missunderstood equipment,  but the best on the planet.

Ioan.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 18/09/2010 13:07:19:
Can someone tell me what I'm missing out on regarding an MP3 player .What is it  ? I'm not joking I really don't know .Maybe I should 'cos I was a musician for years & I suspect it has something to do with the tinny sounds you hear from people sat next to you on the bus for example ie 10 to 15 KHz frequency band

It need not be. I have MP3s of Dave Brubeck, and they are almost as good as the vinyls.

15KHz, can you still hear that ???????  

Posted by Essjay on 18/09/2010 10:36:11:
If you think you need to pay that much for a radio, then just have a look at what Ali Maschincy (spelling, sorry) flies on a DX7!

Could be a very clever marketing ploy (boy am I cynical) the DX7 will sell by the thousands whereas there's hardly going to be a queue round the block for 14MZs 

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/09/2010 18:51:55:
I remember reading an interview with Wolfgang Matt  who those old enough to remember building models will know was one of the ultimate top aerobatic pilots.

Wolfgang was asked what he considered essential on a transmitter,

He replied "Two Sticks"

Nuff said

Wolfgang is still around and flying competitively and I bet he's not using a basic 2 stick trannie these days Here's a link to his and son Roland's WEBSITE 

I'm not familar with the 14 MZ but some of the top of the range Tx's do have features that some pilots would use. I.e. ability to set up several servos on one switch so they go through a sequence, e.g. for retracts with separate doors which open and close when the wheels are lowered. You could do the same with an onboard seqencer but that adds weight, complexity and has a cost of its own.

But some have them just for bling, I've seen high end radios with planes with Y leads because the owner found it too complicated to program in separate servos