The 2010 Special Issue

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

Just studying the TN Spitfire spec and maybe I am being silly, but 120 four stroke driving a 15Lb model? The last time I tried that the plane flew like a brick. I did build the TN Typhoon and maybe I don't build light enough but  I used a 70FS (within the recommended range) and with retracts etc it just didn't cut the mustard. I know I am a philistine but it's back to ARTFs for me - wash my mouth out with soap!

Everything inside the cover is great. Really good value for money. I have always said I wouldn't have a Spit as they are too common, looks like I'm going to eat my words as TN's Spit looks great and is the best plan yet.
Sorry but I don't like the cover. Nothing wrong with the design, that's very attractive, but it is so glossy (and has been for a while). I like to keep a pile of RCM&E's by the hobby bench but they keep falling down!! I want a non slippy cover!

Haven't finished reading it yet, but good selection of articles, which are long enough and in-depth enough to be really useful.  I can use all the help I can get on things like film covering (I'm rubbish at it!) and the piece on decal making is another handy item. Don't think I'm ready to tackle the Spit though - not enough room chez Huggy for one thing!
PS small deposits of foam adhesive or cyano spillage help keep piles of magazine in place, if making them quite hard to read

Sorry to disagree with you all, but I was rather disappointed with some of the articles. I was particularly interested in the DIY decals and graphics but whilst the writer tells you what is possible he does not exactly tell you how to go about it. Googling stencil fonts produced plenty of adverts and a blank tutorial but no useful results. A visit to PC World found no waterslide paper and the recommended Coral Draw is £120!

Also the article on film covering appears to be totally biased towards Solarfilm polypropylene materials. I use these myself, namely Litespan. Solartex and silver Solarfilm (on scale models because it is paintable and relatively easy to apply), but there is scarce mention that polyester films are so much simpler to use, do not wrinkle in the sun nearly so much and withstand the rigours of time so much better.
I can just imagine a novice wrestling with polypropylene, sticking to itself whenever possible, chucking the whole lot into the bin and going back to the ARTF shop.
Another thing, why bother to make card patterns the size of your bits and bobs when you will require an overlap of at least 1" in order to pull the film around the workpiece?
If you want to know how to do it properly read the article in the J. Perkins catalogue.

Mine arrived in the post early in this morning. I agree with Martin about DIY decals and covering articles however, and in general, it's a very good value for money.

TN's Spit looks very good (as usually) .... and in 6 sheets! That's a record for a magazine, I  think.

Congrats David and to all RCM&E team

Edited By Augusto on 27/09/2010 17:50:11

Augusto, thanks for your support as I expected loads of brickbats especially from the contributors of whom I was perhaps a little too harshly critical. I agree that the rest of the magazine was excellent.
The Spit looks good but untill I wipe out either his 46" or 62" version it will have to wait.
Wonder what it would be like on a 26cc petrol? Would this perform as well as/better than a converted 150 four stroke? Any ideas anyone who has tried a motor of this size? I only have experience of a 50cc petrol in a 1:5 Hurri to go on regarding this type of engine.

The spifire plans are bad stuff - they convince me in starting a new build not having finished the last one. And this in the middle of moving house and not having a proper workshop any more.
I suppose this is the right size of plane for windy UK fields. 
May be I can already start organizing the material. I have to write an early letter to father Christmas to get the complete material set. VA - still dreaming as it looks

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 21/09/2010 15:36:47:
So...These Spitfire plans...

How much are they worth?
Is it £20?
or
Is it $20

Did I miss the exchange rate hitting 1:1?

The exchange rate is irrelevant, what we pay in £ our friends over the pond pay in $.
A fact that constantly irritates me (and others) here in 'Rip-off Britain'...

As always Tony's plans are well drawn and look to be excellent to work from but most disappointed at yet another Spitfire, OK so its BoB commemoration etc but would have much prefered a Tempest II or something unusual like a Firebrand or a twin such as a Welkin or Hornet.
You can only build so many Spitfires before you get cheesed off with them,

regards,        Terry

The plan is excellent, other that is yet another Spitfire. Quality seems ever better. 

I know, yes I know, that Spitfires sell more than any other model in the UK, but not yet another!

Not only is it a Spitfire, for me, it is the wrong size! I fly electrics, and yes, size does matter. For economical every week use, the model needs to be about 50" (circa 1.2m), motors and Lipos are affordable. I also recognise that not all are electric flyers, but we do now exist as a sizable minority (or is that now history, and we are pushing towards a majority?).

I do recognise that it does not make commercial sense, to do other than the ubiquitous Spitfire or Lancaster or Hurricane. But can we not have something else, we have not had a Bf 109 or Fw 190 or Seafury, NA Mustang, Corsair etc. for sometime.

As for the rest of the magazine, it has all been said 

Hi all,
yep another good read but, where are the actual building photo's of the trad built aeroplanes? lots of finished pictures but not one of the actual build.

Re the Tim glow to electric conversion, where does the 1056 in the maths come from?
Ie 1056 -7 x 40 =6034 rpm?
So where does the 1056 ( in inches ) come from?
That is a very large prop for a model aeroplane !!!!

Has the paper quality changed ? it feels a lot " cheaper and thinner" ) than we are used too.

Wow, this seems like a lot of negative feedback, not meant like that at all, just a few points that i noticed.

Regards as always
Chris.