Cheap cyano

Big Bandit

Hi All,

Nipped into the local DIY this afternoon, 50g bottles of cyano (Bondloc) £1-99, Kicker £1-99 as well. They sell this stuff for use on UPVC Windows and such. Brought half a dozen bottles and a couple of Kickers. Been paying £5-99 for regular cyano from the LMS.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 20/11/2010 18:37:32

Advert

there are only two manufacture's of LCD screen's as used in tv and large display screen's in shopping center's......only 4/5 washing machine manufacturer's..the rest just make the cases and put the other's bit's in..car's are the same as are printer ink's......so i should imagine cyno/superglue's wil fall in some where to the re-badging..and the massive price difference's.......try making a joint with the p/land stuff and some branded stuff...using identical bit's of wood and then do a 'pull it apart test'...hard pushed to say which is the prefered one....

DR ken anderson         ne...1.lab.

I have tested the cheap pound type shop super glue and it does set strong eventually . Thats the down side. For a quick set it has to have activator applied and this can weaken the joint. As it sets so slow it has on occasions soaked into very porous wood and not formed a bond this then required another application and activator. I now use it to add to and thin a large bottle of thick cyano that gets too thick over time but itslows the setting time on that and requires activator if a quick set is required. I wonder wether this poundland stuff is left-overs when the production line is cleaned or flushed ? Still very useful for a lot of jobs like laminating ply or glueing less porous  hard woods  .For most of my cyano I use 5 star products cyano and have found it to be good quality glue that sets  quick, is  tough  . At a recent talk given by Tony Nihjus he said he used a glue supplied by builders merchants costing about £2 ish for 50g( cheaper if you bought a carton of 20 and shared) and that it was excellent .I cant remember the name of the glue at present but will find out and try it when my stock runs out. As for pound shop  epoxy , the expression "choclate tea pot" comes to mind. It evetually sets to a sticky brown with chewing gum consistency and is basically a waste of time and money ; but there may be a different variety in other parts of the country thats ok. The epoxy sold in poundland a few years ago was pretty good and ideal for keeping in the car for field repairs . I currently use Zap epoxy as it is consitently good.
Phil

Posted by Engine Doctor on 23/11/2010 11:22:46:
I have .......................................................... At a recent talk given by Tony Nihjus he said he used a glue supplied by builders merchants costing about £2 ish for 50g( cheaper if you bought a carton of 20 and shared) and that it was excellent .I cant remember the name of the glue at present but will find out and try it when my stock runs out. .............................................................
Phil

I wonder if it wasn't Everbuild? CPC used to do it for £1.98 for 50g, now it is £2.98.

Very good and very quick to set. I use it around joints, it runs into any missed places nicely.

That with the thick one from HK does all I need. I still use the £ shop ones, the packs with the four bottles, not the ten tubes.

I had one type of epoxy from the £ shop that didn't set quickly, but apart from that, it hasn't given me any problems. I judge epoxies by Pratleys, which I get sent to me whenever possible, and I honestly think it is the best ever. (their slow setting one is certified for full size construction)

Probably is Everbuild - Screwfix used to do it but it seems to have disappeared from their site. I've used it for a while and it does what it says on the bottle.

It won't help many but the tool guy in the Pannier Market in Barnstaple sells it for £1.50. Too far for me normally but I was visiting the parents last month............

Pete

ps keep superglues in the fridge, they last much, much longer

Posted by Big Bandit on 24/11/2010 18:23:32:
Hi All,

The stuff is called bond loc, and seems to work very well.

Chris.

I have some of that too,I think it was from Tesco,it works a treat.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 27/11/2010 11:53:23:
CPC was the name Tony mentioned . Must track some down locally ( north Kent ). Any suggestions .

Phil

I buy online from CPC  (CPC Farnell)

Delivery is reasonable, free I think over £40

They have loads of interesting things and tools, so always get free postage

Posted by Spice Cat on 27/11/2010 22:07:03:
The 99p shop has run out of epoxy! Anyone recommend a cheap epoxy possibly in larger quantities. I seem to be going through the stuff like it's going out of business.

we have four shops in town selling things for  99p and £1, and they don't seem to run out of the same things at the same time.

I have changed to the epoxy from HK now, I like it, especially the 30 min one.

Edited By Steve W-O on 28/11/2010 03:57:50

Edited By Steve W-O on 28/11/2010 03:58:09

• 3 weeks later...
If you work out the volume of glue you get for 99p the multiplyit by 10 it doesn't really compare to the amount you get in the zap or devcon packs that cost arond a tenner So the zap ,devcon etc really work our cheaper and  are guaranteed to set I wont use epoxy sold bya well known model adhesive supplier from the midlands as the first and last lot I bught set like rubber and ended up in the bin. I now use mainly the Zap 5 and 30 min epoxy . You can some times find it on offer at model shows 3 for 2 etc .
Phil

• 1 month later...
Went in to the local cheapy pound shop bought a 5 pack of SUPER GLUE for a £1, Guess what?3 out of the4 were EMPTY ,Not so cheap then . TD LOL   PS All you guys buying cheap stuff  just be careful don't get ripped off .

Edited By taildragger on 02/02/2011 18:20:04

Edited By taildragger on 02/02/2011 18:21:02

Posted by taildragger on 02/02/2011 18:17:25:
Went in to the local cheapy pound shop bought a 5 pack of SUPER GLUE for a £1, Guess what?3 out of the4 were EMPTY ,Not so cheap then . TD LOL PS All you guys buying cheap stuff just be careful don't get ripped off .

Edited By taildragger on 02/02/2011 18:20:04

Edited By taildragger on 02/02/2011 18:21:02

I'm a bit puzzled, you bought a 5 pack, but 3 out of the 4 were empty. I have only seen 4 packs of bottles in any of the £1/99p shops, or 10 packs of tubes.

All the 4 packs I have seen have been transparent, so you can see how much is in the bottle before buying.

I think I have been ripped off more with expensive CA more than the cheap stuff.

I'm firmly sold on the epoxy and CA from HK now, works really well, and I don't spend half my time unclogging the nozzle.

Clogged nozzles, now there's a subject. Doesn't it mean that the glue is doing what it was designed to?

I never buy cheap cyano. The good thin ones wick into the joint and you can see a puff of smoke as it sets. The joint also gets hot.

Hiya all. I was going to post a question today regarding cyano glue but as it is being discussed here I suppose this would be as good a place as any. I am gathering together a kit of build tools ready for the off on April 1st and have got most things. I have purchased Aliphatic glue and Speed Bond glue but have come to a bit of a halt with regard to cyano. Which do I need, a thin or thick, or both and will I need an activator as well? Cheers my friends.
Geoff