What Rattles Your Cage?

Advert

I seem to recall Myron's better half, Chrissie, coming onto the forum a couple of weeks ago to ask for advice as Myron's computer had thrown a wobbly and she was relaying the advice to him.........perhaps we should stick to answering modelling questions

I wonder if he's waiting for the New Year sales?

Pete

Posted by Chris Bott on 24/11/2010 17:17:02:
People who don't read the thread and post stuff that's already been said.

Has anyone mentioned:-

To
Two
Too

It's not using "too" for "as well" that gets me.

Like two often, in my dreams, 

Chris Bott mentioned it briefly on page 1 of this thread but using 'of' instead of 'have', as in "I should of gone around again" instead of " I should have (or should've) gone around again" is another gripe of mine. Note I'm keeping to the modelling theme.....

This completely meaningless nonsense appears so often now that I starting to believe that it must be taught in schools. Either that or the education system has been so dumbed-down that the teachers don't know or don't care what they teach the pupils, as long as Ofsted targets are met.......

This might  not seem to be that important to some but clear and understandable communication is a basic function of society, surely? Remember  the WW1 trench story about 'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance"?

Hmmm, I'm thinking this thread must have been created for me........

Pete

Forms that ask questions with no clear answers.
Windows questions - yes no cancel - there's never an "I'm not sure"
Their there here hear to too two  's  s'  you're your its it's haven't didn't ware wear we're.
Incorrect C of G instructions.
Car drivers who wear hats.
People who drive at 56mph.
Taxi drivers.
Merchant Bankers
Offshore workers
Overly friendly people
Unfriendly people
OH, and POLITICIANS!!!  

I have read this thread with Interest, And to be honest I have read these kinds of threads on other forums, And they all end up In the bin eventually..

But before the cyber hand throws this one Into the depths of cyber junk, I would like to just make this point.

One of my pet hates Is amongst this thread, And one that never seizes to amaze me, The presumption that everybody should be blessed with the correct use of grammer whilst posting on a forum.

Personally I think It's slightly prejudiced to expect everybody to have grasped the correct way to utilize "Grammer". I say this because not only does this belittle a Individual but It also poses a peer pressure on a person on a forum, If like this thread they read that a very popular "Pet hate" Is the Incorrect use of grammer !

I'm not saying that everybody Is of that opinion but there Is a good majority within this thread, And to somebody who Is not competent or confident with the use of good grammer this could be perceived as a forum put off..

It's not nice to have the thought of people sneering at you because of the above reasons and this Is one of my pet hates, If people spell words wrong or don't Incorparate the appropiate grammer then really does It matter ?..

At the end of the day a poorly wrote post or a good written post, We can still distinguish the context of the post surely ?..

Ok rant over !  No offense meant to anybody we are all entitled to our views I was merely airing what rattles my cage..

Thanks... Tom.

Reading above about BMW drivers.. Just driven home on busy M6 & M1. Why is it that if I'm in the middle lane doing a legal 70mph (or slightly more) and trying to leave a space between me and the car in front, some pillock usually driving a BMW or Audi undertakes me and slots into the space I've left? Is undertaking ok now? I was taught to overtake only on the right. By the way I don't 'hog' the middle lane but am often stuck there because the inner lane is slower and I can't get into the outer lane which is full of nutters driving at 90mph+. Rant over. 

I think we can assume that language and cars have been done now - and they are not about modelling.

Please try to remember - its light hearted and about modelling.

I'm going to have one last go at this.....

If you're going to post please read the OP - especially the PS. If you do you'll see that if you post a dislike on here then what you are saying is that you acknowledge that this is irrational dislike. So you can't really go on to justify it by examples! Its irrational - it can't be justified - that's the point.

Similarly if someone posts an irrational dislike they cannot reasonably by taken to task by saying their dislike is irrational - they've already said that!

So, the thread is not just about "things you don't like" - its about things in modelling that you have an irrational (non justifiable) dislike of - simples!

Let's see if we can keep t to that - or if we have no more to say on that - let it die a dignified death!

BEB

I was reading AMI (one of those banned magazines to us), it was a story about attending an event in Germany.

It contrasted driving on the Belgian Motorway, speed controlled and policed by the imposition of the  death penalty for exceeding the posted authorised speed with the German autobahn and its generally unregulated speed limit. It also made the point of relative free movement of traffic on the Autobahn, with the bunching on the E1 in Belgium.

It stated (and I have read many reports) that the accident and death rate is lower on the non- speed regulated Autobahn. By those crazed speed freaks doing +100 mph, compared to the UK. Apparently the same was true of the Austrian motorways.

Makes you think. If you want to think.

Now why is that moron in the middle lane is cutting across my path as I undertake him, on the Interstate. My God, another crazed Englishman. Can they not drive on the other side of the Pond. Damned Limeys.

The trouble is loose one close relative, and your attitude changes. Any speed is to much. All cars should be banned. All drivers flogged. As one of my daughters said, a car hitting you at 30 mph and you may live, a bus makes you spare parts, if not crushed out of recognition. But buses are good? Are they not?

Ohhhh yes. rants are good, questioning dogma makes you dangerous, ohhhhhh yea.

Posted by Pete B on 24/11/2010 20:55:19:
In the true spirit of the thread, magnetic wood irrationally irritates me........

Pete

I guess you mean the type with leaves on it, tall and often found around the boundary of flying sites!

Yeap - I've had the odd encounter with that over time - I can see where you're coming from!

BEB

All spelling/grammar "discussions" invariably separate in to two camps. Those who can spell and construct sentences properly and have varying degrees of tolerance towards the other camp, and those who can't spell and indignantly insist that they should be left alone. 

It's also remarkable that, on other forums I visit, foreign members who are learning English quite often ask for their posts to be corrected, and discuss their mistakes. Yet I have never once seen a British bad speller ask for similar help or make any attempt to improve themselves. 

As for spell checkers - a waste of time. Pretty much all of the most common errors will not be picked up by a spell checker.

They're their there

your you're

its it's

And my biggest pete hate - loose and lose. I could go on but you get the idea.

But my biggest irrational hate about this thread is that BEB clearly stated modelling related irrationalities yet it turned in to a slanging match about, well, this here. 

So.........shall we start again in a new thread or carry on here? 

Edited By Michael Evans on 25/11/2010 06:56:04

Posted by birdy on 24/11/2010 21:05:37:

People who are better than me at everything.... Know what you mean Birdy.

Having to wait for spares for my RTF's after I've broken them.

Health and Safety bod's who focus on perceived risk and ignore the real risks, particularly when it stops me enjoying my flying.

Following people who drive significantly under the speed limit, especially when I'm itching to get to the patch for a session.

Stereotyping. 

Cheers, Chris.

Posted by thomas salisbury on 24/11/2010 19:43:05:
I have read this thread with Interest, And to be honest I have read these kinds of threads on other forums, And they all end up In the bin eventually.......

One of my pet hates Is amongst this thread, And one that never seizes to amaze me, The presumption that everybody should be blessed with the correct use of grammer whilst posting on a forum.

Personally I think It's slightly prejudiced to expect everybody to have grasped the correct way to utilize "Grammer". I say this because not only does this belittle a Individual but It also poses a peer pressure on a person on a forum, If like this thread they read that a very popular "Pet hate" Is the Incorrect use of grammer !

I'm not saying that everybody Is of that opinion but there Is a good majority within this thread, And to somebody who Is not competent or confident with the use of good grammer this could be perceived as a forum put off..

It's not nice to have the thought of people sneering at you because of the above reasons and this Is one of my pet hates, If people spell words wrong or don't Incorparate the appropiate grammer then really does It matter ?..

At the end of the day a poorly wrote post or a good written post, We can still distinguish the context of the post surely ?..

Ok rant over !  No offense meant to anybody we are all entitled to our views I was merely airing what rattles my cage..

Thanks... Tom

Concur 100%!

I know of several very talented and gifted modellers who are somewhat lacking when it comes to prose.  These adults really aren't going to go back to school, but they do feel intimidated by threads like this one, and tend to stay away as a consequence.

Other than that, I have an irrational prejudice against bigots, and also believe that all fanatics should be put to death.......

tim