Maynard Hill

Advert

I am also pretty certain that I read accounts of Maynard Hills altitude record attempts, possibly in Aeromodeller.

I have also seen many accounts of model drones, made by modellers, whilst working for USA aerospace companies. I always dismissed them as "target drones". Shows you how wrong you can be. I guess Maynard Hill worked in these areas.

I guess just as I thought that the Gossamer Albatross was novel, but a long way from serious applications. I then read that the CIA were a sponsor of the project, I thought why would they? Then you see some of the NASA projects and the various drones, and it all makes sense.

No I am not that surprised on reflection with respect Maynards Hills achievements.

I guess a lot of the drones operated by the various military agencies can fly further, if necessary.

I think that an electric remotely powered aircraft the Helios holds the altitude record at 96,00 feet. It would not surprise me that there is an electric remotely piloted aircraft that can easily fly the Atlantic, it is just a question that we have no need to know. The people who operate these types of things will eventually let us know, when it suites their needs.

Maynard Hill has been mentioned in model mags at various times. The model that flew the Atlantic was displayed in the Seattle aircraft museum ( the original Boeing Works ) and it looked quite like a normal model with an Enya four stroke up front.

I wonder whether the Telegraph published an obituary on other notable aeromodellers? Perhaps only Maynard Hill changed the World enough.......would we have had drones to find the Taliban without him?

Edited By kc on 15/06/2011 10:45:05

A truly amazing achievement - because he insisted on using true models - that is a max of 15cc engines and the 5 or 10kg weight limit that was in force at the time.

Doing it with larger RPVs is relatively easy.

Once again though - surprised by the lack of knowledge of such exploits by the average RC modeller.

Posted by leccyflyer on 16/06/2011 08:18:43:
Followed Maynard Hill's TAM5 flight in real time on that tinternet thing when it happened.

Me too - both years! What the tension must have been like for Maynard and the others waiting for news in Newfoundland, I can't imagine. It was bad enough watching as a detached observer over the net!

Posted by kc on 15/06/2011 10:41:56:
Maynard Hill has been mentioned in model mags at various times. The model that flew the Atlantic was displayed in the Seattle aircraft museum ( the original Boeing Works ) and it looked quite like a normal model with an Enya four stroke up front.
I wonder whether the Telegraph published an obituary on other notable aeromodellers? Perhaps only Maynard Hill changed the World enough.......would we have had drones to find the Taliban without him?
Edited By kc on 15/06/2011 10:45:05
I think you will find the engine was an OS

I am intrigued how the model was controlled. There is more than a suggestion that it was using GPS for positioning. I suspect that it was very much a triumph of developing a control system. Again I suspect that gyros were essentially components of this system. From the obituary, it seems that a system developed at least in part for APV was involved

I imagine that the airframe and motor were not the greatest issues with respect to the challenge.

In some ways I view the project with a little concern, in that a small aircraft can be sent, thousands of miles, with no direct control by an observer, accurately to a pre-specified location.

Quite a triumph,not without a potential darkside.

Have a look at the FAQs on the TAM website at http://tam.plannet21.com/FAQs.htm

Here's a couple of extracts;

21. What electronics are on board?

A Futaba receiver, three Futaba servos, and a piezoelectric rate gyro are combined with a Motorola Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver. The autopilot is a custom design by Joe Foster who wrote all the software. A pressure sensor provides altitude information. This altitude system is calibrated periodically by data from the GPS. There are two miniature telemetry transmitters.

24. How is the airplane guided?

The autopilot uses a microcomputer to process data from the GPS, receiver, pressure sensor and gyro to adjust the signals to three control servos. Steering, altitude hold, and engine speed are separate servo loops. Prior to launch, a memory chip is programmed with waypoints for steering. The chip also is programmed with desired altitude and engine RPM between waypoints. The complete algorithms are proprietary.

I think that was accomplished with respect to the control system is the impresive part of the flight.

Just think what a project it would have made for an accredited degree individual project. Incorporating all the concepts of instrumentation and control. Then there is the build and demonstration.

Know put into that context, did he not do well, a testament to his abilities as a engineer.