Pics from your free RCME plan build

Ton van Munsteren

Bootlace by Peter Miller, she had her maiden back in 09, still flying today 6 years on, it was my first RC scratch build, still looks great and flying her is great, these shots are from a couple years ago and still on 35m but of course now on 2.4

Bootlace

Peter millers Bootlace

bootlace

I get the same buzz when I fly her now, as I did on her maiden.

Andy

Edited By Andy Shailer on 09/06/2015 21:10:38

Hey Ron, no problem, if you haven't noticed I tend to ramble to.

I had a Vox as well, but lent it to a friend, and it never came back. I also had a Fender Jaguar I used on stage for years (but sold it to fund my Nieuport 17..now I kind of wish I hadn't), and only bought my first American Fender Strat when I was 18. My brother fronted me the money, so I gave him another guitar as interest on top. I was working as a janitor putting myself through college, and worked all summer while also going to school, all for that darn guitfiddle! It was so worth it though. Tele's are also great too. Don't you just wish though that you could hop a Tardis ride back to then with some money and snatch one up? Considering how they cost well over a grand now, it'd be very worth it. I only have a Tele copy though. It has an American flag painted on the front that a guy had custom made for himself, but was selling at a market down here because he needed the cash. It has a flamed maple neck and the works. GREAT sound. Now, here's where you'll shoot me. My first amp, and still my favorite is a 59' Fender Vibrolux 1X10. It lived its whole life at a school, and when my grandfather's friend Ed retired, he gave it to me thinking I may want to learn one day. So, not having any idea how rare it was at the time, I picked up a guitar that very week, and haven't looked back since! Gosh, I must have played close to 300 shows with that amp, not counting all the years of practice on it.

Also, that's one heck of an interesting story about the "free flight" Cutlass. It gave me a good chuckle. And yes, we do have one down here at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. I last visited there when I was 16, and I have to say it's one very, very nice museum; it's one of my favorite all time air museums, even more so than the Smithsonian dare I say it. Somewhere around is a pic of me by the old F7 they have, and also a pic in the mock training cockpit of one too. I'll have to dig them out someday.

As far as cartoon racing, I think a standard motor prop combination should be the only motor choice allowed, but the airframe be completely up to the racer to keep things more even keeled. And to be honest, I think a nice low speed set-up would be the most fun of all. Sort of like low speed/high fun type amateur racing they sometimes have down here with cars. You know, more about flying, and less about super performance. I definitely wouldn't mind a nice laid back racing event. And yes, though most of the guys I've met buy and fly more than build, their toys sure are nice! But, I do give it to them, because they learned how to repair and do some building from a local gentlemen who's since left the hobby, and he taught them quite well, so at least they're able to fix their stuff to some degree. They just choose not to build. Don't get me wrong though; I do like ARFs, and even foamies, but if I had to choose only one, scratch/kit building is still the best overall fun and satisfaction per pound for me as well.

And on to Andy. That Bootlace looks fantastic. Reminds me a lot of my now lost LeVier Cosmic Wind if it had been mated with a Shoestring racer. Nice job.

Also, for anyone out there; has anybody built Tim Hooper's 1919 Hild Marshonet yet? I saw it's next issue's plan. Yes, we're very slow to get new issues here. We're still only on May. However, I just thought this may be a very unique and fun model to do, and kind of hope to get a sneak peek if anyone has started or completed one yet. I was thinking of doing the Westland Wagtail first, since I've never worked in Depron and want to give it a try, but if the Marshonet is as fun as it looks, I may do that one first.

As an update, I really need to eat humble pie on my claims of speed. I had my timed distance slightly off (this time I used a proper surveyors tape to mark out my run), so in reality, it's closer to 85-90 mph. But still, plenty fast. So much so, I needed to reinforce the rudders because of flutter at speed. Launches became difficult so I've since switched off to an APC 9X7.5E and it's much better, but I still keep the 8X8 pylon prop around for the occasional fun run.

Hey Ron, me too actually, so it's not just an age thing. But I do like setting my planes up like my motorcycles. You fool people into believing they're nothing special by riding like a normal person 90% of the time, until you gas them a little bit every now and then, and watch the jaws drop and old ladies scatter!

I've been getting back into sailplane flying lately, so I've been keen on flying all of my aircraft low and slow as some good practice to get used to flying on the edge of a stall again. I especially like how the Cutlass goes nose high to the sky just like the real airplane. It really looks the part. My wife even comes out every time I fly it because she loves watching it. She calls it "unusual but cool," and has pretty much demanded I only fly that one, and get rid of the others..haha.

Still can't wait till we get June's issue over here though, because I've decided for the next build I want to do the Marshonet to keep my Nieuport company. I do love odd looking airplanes, and that one definitely looks the part.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just to prove someone's playing along at home, here's my Sonny 1500 from the RCM&E plan.

The first time I've cut or glued balsa for about 25 years, so I took the easy option and ordered the kit from RBC Kits.

img_20160502_205419.jpg

Glue's come on a bit since I last did this (as well as CNC cutting...) so this was all fairly straightforward. img_20160521_214136.jpg

And eventually I ended up with this:

img_20160524_202512.jpg

img_20160618_155652.jpg

p8290481.jpg

Thanks Ton!

• 2 weeks later...

imag0833.jpgHi folks , firstly a happy Christmas and a wonderful new year to you all !

Here is my version of last weeks free plan...Das Ghosten Flugboot...I always liked the 'look' of this years back and it reminded me of a Dornier Wal....Anyway here she is, running a 1400kv motor, 1300 3-cell lipo and a 4 bladed Drone prop. I must say for a 3 channel model she flies brilliantly....very stable and predicatable.....and as an English,am living in the Netherlands, here she is as she might have been........if she has served with the Dutch Navy !

All the best and happy landings !!

Rayimag0832.jpg

Edited By Raymond Richards on 18/12/2016 12:34:30