Oh dear, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

had a realy good flight out yesterday with the art-tech diamond 2500 glider..had the best flight time so far with just under 40mins flying 5-10 mph winds..was realy happy with how well she performed..she got quite alot of lift with no motor run (in fact,i hardly used the motor)....out there again over next few days

Advert

Friday came. Lipos charged, weather forecast most unpromising and unfortunately was correct. All day, either drizzle or rain fell, here.

I decided that I would transfer my 2.4 models from my 6ex to my 8fg. After all i have had it now for about 2-3 months. It would only take, hmmm, about 30 minutes a plane. Six models abo3 hours max. How wrong, I managed one model all day. Today i have managed another 2.

Why so long? It does involve more than i initially thought. Firstly there were the settings on the 6 Tx,to be recorded, the Expo being the most significant, then EPA (end point adjustment) most of these were 100%, but still had to be recoded.

Then it is a case of naming the model on the 8 etc. Takes for ever.

Surprisingly I did find the odd issue with the models themselves, which benefited from fixing.

Anyway i am ready for tomorrow. I have have 2 on 35 and potentially 3 on 2,4. Here is hoping.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 21/01/2012 18:43:12:
Very nice pics Terry, are those camera's on the Tiggie, do we have some video to
see?

Too windy down here today and looks like tomorrow won't be much use either so I've broken all the models on the sim this afternoon.

Hi David - Pete B lets me loose with his super-duper camera with a lens that would grace any aero-modelling journalist so it makes me look good!

Yes Pete had cameras on the Tiggie but as yet i haven't seen any of it.

Raining all day here to but at least I got the PZ Me109e almost back to flying condition - only taken me since last Spring to get round to it! Crashed on it maiden in a big way!

Terry

Posted by Pete B on 21/01/2012 21:21:28:
How can I refuse the Forummeister?

BEB might like this too, knowing his love for bipes........

Pete
Pete - great editing between the cameras! Felt like I was there - and that landing - straight down the centre line! Well done!

Like I said on the day - it's a bit like 'the last of the summer wine' isn't it!

Terry

Posted by ken anderson. on 18/01/2012 16:13:17:
still good weather for Jan......compared to previous two winters we've had....and the night's are getting lighter....

ken anderson ne..1..... weather reporting dept..

I flew a Telemaster 40, the 6ft (1.8 metre) version, off skis last year.

Great fun. Best surface I've ever landed on.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 22/01/2012 07:33:09:
Very nice Pete and you seemed to be getting a bit daring towards the end there?

You noticed the, err, altitude 'correction' after the final stall-turn, then, David?

I don't fly it as often as I should and once you've had a few minutes on the sticks you get the feel of it again, IYSWIM.......

Needs more right thrust - hardly needs left rudder - and I'll need to slightly re-align the cowling to centre the prop shaft - when I get a round tuit!

Pete

I did not expect to be the first to post on today's flying Sunday the last day of January. Summer will not be long and then comes Christmas.

When I got up this morning to force feed the cat his tablets, before his breakfast, there was a frost everywhere. I take it you will be going out flying today, said the good lady. i was a bit doubtful, after all not only Lipos have an aversion to the cold, there is me too. Yet the frost was more of a light dusting, rather than the sheet of ice that covered my car yesterday.

At the field, I was not the first, there being two cars already, and not yet 10:30! Yet the gate was not open, that meant that the club regulars were missing. Opening the locked gate being my first job.

Walking to the flying are, with another new club member, the ground was partially frozen, the grass wet, quickly covering my boots with moisture.

There were three molders flying the models in the essentially still air, a third watched. Another new member. Both of us new arrivals had two flights, enjoying the excellent conditions, that is for models. My hands quickly becoming cold, the other guys hands becoming completely white, wax like. It was plain he was suffering. We naturally emphasised like all good humans being would, er, not! A bit of banter about being a wimp, of centenarian age.

It was now decided to help the new comer to fly his model. On previous flight it seemed to have a rearward CG, as it tucked under, on straight and level flight, stalling without provocation and looked a real handful. On stating the motor of his Pakrzone Radian Pro, it sounded lack luster, a quick launch, it barely staggered 30 feet, before touching down. The flier said it was porpoising. A quick check of the CG seemed a long way back to me, I moved the Lipo as far forward as possible, now it balanced on the spar/joiner. Another attempt was made, only to find the motor would not start. A knackered ESC was postulated.Further investigation diagnosed a flat LIpo, it was the BEC cutting out the motor.

It only goes to show, we will have to help new starters, far more than we tend to. We are essentially a hands of club, who help as requested. Seems we need to be a little more engaging and positively help. That is until the rudiments are understood. It seems new starters will tell you that they have done all the checks, but by not really knowing, can fall short of the minimum for successful, fun flying.

After about one and half hours we all moaned about the cold, and stomped of home. After agreeing it was better than wind and rain, much better than the same time last year, yet not yet Spring.

ERFOLG

your bit about helping out new comers ?

i think its a mixed one as when i started to learn,i went to a local club and took the time to study and talk to others and also asked a club member if he didnt mind checking my electric glider (wich he did)..couldnt of done it without the help

but i have heard of people who think they know better and fail..i know club members can benefit new comers in a massive way because there on/off field experience of flying and all that comes with it...

and at the end of the day,members can always put themselves out to help and advise but its all down to the new comer i suppose

it will always be a learning curve for old and new....

glad you managed to get out today,grass was too wet to land my art tech diamond 2500 ep glider in kent..maybe tomorrow

ricky

Ricky

In essence our club takes the approach it does, essentially for the reasons you have stated,

On the other hand, it all well and good people such as myself, saying, "check the CG, it is better forward than to the rear". What is being suggested may not be fully understood. It also fine, for a member to waffle on about instability, again when what is said may be so far from the recipients knowledge base, to be of little help.

I take the view, that to date we have done just enough, a little bit more structured discussion could help a bit more. By that, I mean guidance, advice, not, a do this approach.

It is quite depressing, to see the disappointment in the face of a new starter. It is to easy to push a member to more expenditure, in more equipment, a more expensive radio. Yet, a comprehensive budget charger can be money well spent.

Getting that balance just right is difficult, in all circumstances.

I don't think I flew at all last weekend - too windy, but this weekend I've flown on both days. Yesterday was cold. Today was even colder, though it didn't feel quite as cold as there was a stronger breeze blowing yesterday than today. We all kept our flights fairly short and landed complaining of frozen fingers... Maybe I should have dug out my Trans-mitt to help keep my fingers warmer, but I really don't like the "closed-in" feeling I get when using it. Maybe I'll use it when the temperature drops below zero!

Lovely calm sunny day up here to day but to busy to head for the patch, So when out the back with the 3 ch cub. Its amazing how much fun you can have even if it is pretty much a toy
Hopefully get back to the club wednesday, Cant wait to get the wot back into the blue stuff.

Cheers

Rusty

I waited till the ice had melted from the windscreen then decided that I couldn't be bothered packing the flight box, fuel and Best Mate stand into the car, let alone cleaning all of that oil from the models when the temperature hardly rose above 3 degrees all day, so just took the trusty "works" Telemaster 40 which is the only electric powered model I have in flying condition. This is the model in flight.

Now our club has set up a "Flying Scholarship Scheme" which gives three youngsters free membership of the club for a year and free tuition on the club's trainers. We have four Spektrum transmitters to allow for both Mode 1 and Mode 2 flyers and three trainers, one electric and two i/c. Unfortunately one of the young trainees had a mid-air with the electric trainer yesterday, the other model involved belonged to the club's secretary! Apparently both models are repairable.

There were quite a few there today when I arrived including another of the three flying scholarship boys, but only one member had brought along an i/c model and his starter battery was low so I chose not to use one of the club's i/c trainers but to press the old Telemaster 40 into service.I only had three charged batteries with me, but gave the transmitter to the young trainee who has taken to flying like a duck to water. We had three long flights and I enjoyed myself immensely teaching him how to fly.

Several of the club's glider enthusiasts turned up before me. These were teaching an adult beginner how to fly his Multiplex Mentor. They then attached a towline to the Mentor and towed up a small flying wing glider.

Great fun was had by all, but it was cold!

P.S. We are getting another electric trainer next week.

PPS.

Before I set out this morning I texted my mate to say that they must have been hard men in the First World War. Fancy flying in open cockpits behind a twelve-foot propeller turning round at 1200 rpm in these temperatures! But as he said, they were only lads in their twenties not old blokes like me!

Great days flying today. Turned up at the strip about 1pm and was on my own! Some one had been up earlier (prob the heli boys). The sun came out had a couple of flights with the Wot 4 XL. Still running in the new OS91FX so mostly gentle flying with a few mins of hectic stuff! Decided to have a go with Nieuport 28, just installed an Evolution 26gt to replace the cheap crrc 26. Well it decided it wasn't having it at all. I ran it up yesterday in the garden to check the installation and it was off second flick. Today, no chance!! Finally found the pump wasn't pumping. Packed that away and got out the mini panic. 1st battery about half way through and thought that isn't flying right! Almost got it down before the firewall separated from the rest of the airframe. Not too much damage just the firewall and undercarriage plate to put back in. A quick look and the joints looked glue starved. It is fun to fly tho'.
After all this I nearly packed up but decided to have a fly with my Ryan STA. Now this plane has been the bane of my life trying to land. It flys beautifully but always noses over on our grass, short as it is! So today it couldn't nose over if it tried I even managed a few touch and goes! I had a couple more flights with the WOT 4 XL, leaning the engine out a bit, and decided to call it a day about 4:15 pm. It was gettting a bit dark and during the last landing I realised how much lighter things are when you're looking up at sky compared with low down on the appoach.
So dispite a couple of set backs I still had a great day (afternoon) flying. So now I've got a walbro carb to strip and one plane to repair. Good job I'm on nights next week lol! Also got to get in the workshop and finish off Tim's Clean Sweep. Need some more calm winter days and hoping I'm not always going to be "Billy No Mates down" the strip!! May be they see my car coming up the track and decide to scatter to safety

Andy

Well I certainly was out in the tee shirt and underpants plus thick trouser and padded shirt, Double socks in the boots too.

Wasn't even cold, no frost, ground not frozen, no snow and NO RAIN. The rest of Scotland has the snow but not bonnie Fort William. Got my first flying session of the year without the risk of having mid-air incidents, oh lonesome me. More days like this must be on the way, but warmer.