Ebay sellers...

Link to the mig - looks superb - undercart looks very fragile - RTF - includes 8 - 12 channel (?) TX - and they reckon ballistic thrust ratio - for 130 quid delivered it may be worth a punt.

These chinese chappies may be getting a bit desperate what with their downturn etc. I read a bit in the Telegraph about Humbrol bringing their paint manufacturing back to the UK as it is now cheaper than chinese production plus transport costs.

Advert

Hmm, maybe I'm being over suspicious, but I smell a rat...

The feedback for this seller is rather low for someone who appears to be shifting a fair bit of stuff, and is all (that I've seen) for hair straighteners, DVDs, baseball caps and even more baseball caps. Now suddenly they're selling hundreds of mascot costumes and a few mis-described model planes.

I leave you to draw your own conclusion, but I know what I reckon...disgust

Edited By John Privett on 05/12/2012 20:25:34

WHAT A (((STRANGE DESCRIPTION))) ALL IN UPPER CASE AND SPRINKLED (((WITH UNNECESSARY PARENTHESES)))) THAT DO NOTHING TO AID COMPREHENSION.

And is his definition of "brand new" different to ebay's? Or is he really saying that the model is "brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging" but that the motor and ESC have been used in something else?

Yet he does have 100% feedback and most recent feedback is for selling Parkzone and Hobbyzone models and parts.

**LINK** couldnt help myself, i wanted this boat when i was little, oh and it says vintage! brushless or ic outboard i think, though everywhere theres a pond seems to be a ice rink just now no

about the wildcat, ive got a feeling the body and wings have all been replaced after a crash and thats why he's saying its brand new, will watch from a distance

I have to say that I'm a bit irritated over the increasing number of people who seem to be buying from Hobbyking and selling them on at inflated prices on Ebay. I posted a couple of examples of this on the previous page and AJ has just posted another.

Now, there's nothing new in this and there are a number of Ebayers who have been doing this for several years. I didn't see too much of a problem with that when HK goods had to come from Hong Kong as, for various reasons, some folk would be happier to purchase from a UK supplier and were content to pay a premium for this.

However, HK now have a UK branch and those of us 'in the know' will do a price comparison if we are interested in buying. That doesn't necessarily apply to those who may just be starting in the hobby, or believe Ebay is the site where everything is cheaper than in the real world..........smile

The annoyance comes, of course, when stocks deplete so quickly because resellers are buying them up so that the genuine HK customers don't get much of a 'look-in'. It's not surprising that fresh stocks quickly go to backorder, quite often before you've had a chance to respond to an email notification!

I suppose there are three ways of looking at this:

1. It's quite enterprising of the resellers and good luck to them.

2. It's an opportunity to make a fast buck.

3. It's preying on the ignorance and innocence of others.

Now, what other people do with their money is no business of mine but I, for one, won't be caught out by this practice.

What do others think?

Pete

At the end of the day I do not think can be done with the issue.

If I go to the shops, I will find variation of prices fro the same goods. It is exactly the same when making E-purchase.

The broader issue seems to be that some make the assumption that that everything is cheaper on E-Bay. This is an issue which indicates a degree of education is required, to the public in general.

Much of what is sold on E-Bay for modelling seems to be at inflated prices as far as I can see. PM noted an ED Bee having sold circa £150. A dealer within our club has had one or two for sale for £3. Clapped out, all sorts wrong. Yet how many E-Bay buyers have been very disappointed.

I personally have not been tempted by E-Bay, yet I know many informed modellers do obtain value for money purchases.

Caveat Emptor.......wink 2

I don't disagree with you Pete but all is fair in Love, War & Business.......you often see second hand goods sell on ebay for more than the price of a new one......amazing but true....

Ebay is a strange place & personally I'm convinced that there are several PhDs there just waiting to be earned by those who study behavioural psychology.....teeth 2

You could argue that such ebay sellers do aeromodelling a favour by bringing these products to a wider audience.....the reason we know they are expensive is because we are well informed.....this comes from experience in the hobby.....if you were to start a new hobby...Aaardvark Hurling or something...might you be pleased that you could readily source your Aardvarks from ebay??

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 06/12/2012 14:35:14:

Caveat Emptor.......wink 2

I don't disagree with you Pete but all is fair in Love, War & Business.......you often see second hand goods sell on ebay for more than the price of a new one......amazing but true....

Ebay is a strange place & personally I'm convinced that there are several PhDs there just waiting to be earned by those who study behavioural psychology.....teeth 2

I have nothing against people making a little on top, if people can't be bothered to do some research then it's their loss, however, what I do find slightly objectionable is directly copying and pasteing info and pics, from other suppliers (competitors) as in the link I posted.

**LINK** this is my ad that im running for this weekend, just a small start to my moving house clear out, i have a piper cub somewhere, it might be a blackhorse artf or sfm artf, i only have the fuselage (no firewall) and the good conditioned wings, no tail , undercarriage ect, its never been built up or flown, its in storage somewhere, it will be free to a good home, will post photos up as soon as i find it, theres also a scratch built mosquito 11ft span, it was last flown 5 years ago and JUST made it back on the ground, tip stalled if you tried to slow her down, i'll find that too and any good offer i'll take aslong as its a good home will only sell it to BMFA registered or (A) certified as it was built by my father and grandad, lots to go on ebay though

Scott

There is another thread specially for drawing attention to members ebay adverts.

I do like that phrase.

"mosquito 11ft span, it was last flown 5 years ago and JUST made it back on the ground, tip stalled if you tried to slow her down, i'll find that too"

I would never have imagained that one had to "find" an 11 foot span Mosquito. Mind you, I would not even have room for it my small cottage.cheeky