Ebay sellers...

I think you have hit the nail on the head John. These folks are just not like us, they don't have the same interest. Our confusion comes from assuming they are aeromodellers and judging them by our norms.To us a kit is for building and flying - that's its whole reason for being. But while they may have been aeromodellers in an earlier life, now they are collectors. To them it is all about completing a collection. If you have all the KK kits from years x to y except one, then you will pay dearly to have that one! Its a compulsion - as you say completing the collection is what "floats their boat".

We'll never understand it - but then why should we? Afterall they will never understand us. Somewhere, on a collectors' forum, there's bloke writing about how horrified he is at our willingness to "destroy" a precious item by cutting out all the wood, sticking it together, puting an engine in it then chucking it into the air! It takes all sorts....

BEB

Advert

Posted by John Privett on 05/11/2012 23:03:20:
. Personally I don't see the point, and I read a magazine article some while ago about one of the big model store owner's personal collection with a mixture of amazement and sadness. Amazement that he had collected so much old modelling gear, but sadness that none of it would ever be used for the purpose it was manufactured but was destined just to sit on a

I saw that article. What really amazed me was that he had duplicates of so many items. I suppose that was for tradeing possibly.

I do hear what you say, though I cannot understand the value set, it does appear to be distorted to the point of being dysfunctional.

Then again I can appreciate many paintings, that hang in many museums. Yet cannot comprehend that the value and worth is dependant on the signature, rather than the picture. The opinion of a small cadre of experts propelling the value into the millions or condemning the piece almost to the car boot sale.

I have an old Canadian kit of a rubber Monocoupe, which may be of value, by some standards. If true, I just cannot ethically bring myself to sell such an artefact at a astronomical price. Then again, I am of to the box room.

Posted by John Privett on 05/11/2012 23:03:20:
Personally I don't see the point, and I read a magazine article some while ago about one of the big model store owner's personal collection with a mixture of amazement and sadness. Amazement that he had collected so much old modelling gear, but sadness that none of it would ever be used for the purpose it was manufactured but was destined just to sit on a shelf for ever more. Still, if that's what floats yer boat...crook

That was about Ali senior of Als Hobbies wasn't it?

I can't remember which issue it was in though, must have been at least 3-4 years ago.

Si.

Edit: April 2009 - Page 45 teeth 2

I think there a was an article in a BMFA newletter too in more detail about it at some point in the past.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 07/11/2012 15:42:07

I've recently sent a message to the seller 987jill, who is selling several engines and all are desribed as 'Vintage'. I asked him why the Thunder Tiger GP42 was described as vintage when it was still availalble from the shops.

He replied 'BECAUSE I DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM'

In that case, why does he describe them as 'Vintage'?

Posted by Bucksboy on 08/11/2012 09:52:12:

I've recently sent a message to the seller 987jill, who is selling several engines and all are desribed as 'Vintage'. I asked him why the Thunder Tiger GP42 was described as vintage when it was still availalble from the shops.

Yep, I was the one who told her that the vintage Thunder Tiger she was listing was a SC36 and a current model at that by the look of it. Just because it's in a Thunder Tiger box don't make it a Thunder Tiger. Still there are people bidding on it who probably know what it is - I hope.

In her position I would have changed the description, so there is no confusion

LINK

Edited By Colin Ashman on 08/11/2012 10:10:45

Posted by Robin Kearney on 08/11/2012 09:53:10:

Looks like an Aerokits Sea Nymph to me, sweet little boat. I just built one from a modern laser cut kit for my son.

He says pre RC, how does that work then? Were they run tethered, round-the-poll style?

No, they were just free running. Must have been interesting. Hope it didn't hit the side of the pond too hard.

They did have radio in those days of course...if you could afford it.

I saw thenm on the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens.

Every year they used to drain the round pond and collect all the sunken boats and put them out for people to collect. Not usre how you proved they were yours or if it was pot luck.

Posted by Colin Ashman on 08/11/2012 10:06:54:
Posted by Bucksboy on 08/11/2012 09:52:12:

Yep, I was the one who told her that the vintage Thunder Tiger she was listing was a SC36 and a current model at that by the look of it. Just because it's in a Thunder Tiger box don't make it a Thunder Tiger. Still there are people bidding on it who probably know what it is - I hope.

In her position I would have changed the description, so there is no confusion

LINK

Edited By Colin Ashman on 08/11/2012 10:10:45

Maybe she's just a modellers widow (or divorcee?) trying to sell a load of old stuff? They could be vintage as they've been cluttering up the house so long.

Si.

• 2 weeks later...