Selling a 'found' item

NigelH

Advert

It never fails to amaze me just how many planes these folks "find".

To listen to them you'd thing the countryside was littered with "disgarded" model aeroplanes. What happened to placing an ad in the local shop window, or a letter to the loacl free newspaper "Model aeroplane found..." etc. No, instead its "finders" keepers and lets make a few bob out of someone else's loss.

Well done for spotting Nigel - let's hope the legitimate owner spots this and claims his/her property.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/01/2012 13:50:37:

To listen to them you'd thing the countryside was littered with "disgarded" model aeroplanes. What happened to placing an ad in the local shop window, or a letter to the loacl free newspaper "Model aeroplane found..." etc. No, instead its "finders" keepers and lets make a few bob out of someone else's loss.

Well done for spotting Nigel - let's hope the legitimate owner spots this and claims his/her property.

BEB

I saw that ad this morning,but I have no idea if he has reported it to the police as found and then waited the proper time.

I imagine seeing he has been quite open about it, he would willing return it if the rightful owner could prove it was theirs. If that happened,I would hope the rightful owner would reimburse his fees.

If he is using it as an excuse for its condition by claiming he found it and knows nothing about it, he is very silly.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/01/2012 13:50:37:

I know what you mean, but it has actually happened to me once!

I was helping our ex-club chairman with a job in S. London and we stopped at a park near Morden to eat our lunchtime sandwiches. After a few minutes I noticed something in the distance at the foot of a tree that looked remarkably like a model plane. Though we weren't aware of any model flying in that park (we were wrong!) we investigated and found it to be an electric-powered, foam trainer.

We returned to the park bench and continued eating our sandwiches whilst wondering how best to attempt to reunite the model with its owner. Fortunately a park warden on a bicycle appeared shortly afterwards and asked us about the model. We explained the circumstances and he told us that it had been "landed" in the tree a few weeks earlier and he'd been waiting for the wind to blow it down. He had the owner's details and cycled off with the model under his arm to go and contact the owner.

At least that one (I hope!) ended happily.

I've reported it as an attempt to sell stolen property. As Alan 4 has said, without making some attempt to find the rightful owner you cannot just assume rights of ownership. This is theft.

Just another example of the amoral society we now enjoy..........

Pete

What ever happened to people putting a stricker inside the planes with their BFMA Number, name and contact details in. Whilst I'm here in the US, I put AMA stickers inside all my planes with this info on.

Of course, theres no guarentee that the 'finder' will following the instructions, but its a start.

Good point Christian, and I have to admit that none of my planes have any id on them. Some of our club members do attach some form of details (eg. BMFA number) but they are very much in the minority. Just wondering, is there a ruling by the AMA that their members must have identification in/on their models?

In the case of the plane I mentioned above, we searched for any identification on it but found nothing.

i too have reported it, its immoral, but this thing will become more common with the advent of selling models in toy shops, without giving the correct advice, once, i went into modelzone, in the frafford centre, asked about a FW190 hanging up, said i had not flown before, what did the salesman say? it comes with an instructional DVD!!!! yes, i hit the roof,

Posted by Alan 4 on 01/01/2012 14:40:41:
asked about a FW190 hanging up, said i had not flown before, what did the salesman say? it comes with an instructional DVD!!!! yes, i hit the roof,

Hardly surprising - I mean flying an FW190 inside a shop with no previous experience - its no wonder you hit the roof Alan - I'd have expected you to hit the walls, the roof, the displays the lot!

BEB

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/01/2012 15:06:07:
I saw that advert yesterday. At least he was honest and said it was a find. Thing is, if he's not a flyer, then the BMFA found site, wouldn't be the logical action

He's not being honest at all, just demonstrating his limited intelligence..........

If he was honest, he'd have handed it in as found property and left the proper authorities with the problem. In the event it wasn't claimed, he would eventually have the opportunity to treat it as his own.

Pete

This is the AMA sticker I mentioned. Its filled in, then the laminating flap is folded down over to fuel proof it.

Can't remeber if its advised or enforced. I think the former; everyone in our club has stickers in their planes. I'll certainly be making BFMA style ones when I get back home.

Mind you, I also don't plan on loosing a plane at least that I can't find again.

Posted by Pete B on 01/01/2012 14:18:42:
I've reported it as an attempt to sell stolen property. As Alan 4 has said, without making some attempt to find the rightful owner you cannot just assume rights of ownership. This is theft.

Just another example of the amoral society we now enjoy..........

Pete

Now that the prospective seller has been metaphorically hanged, are you able to back up the above inference ?

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 01/01/2012 17:16:14:
If your plane flies away and causes a major crash on a motorway for example, a name plate will bring the authorites down on you like a ton of bricks. BMFA insurance is limited so perhaps better to kiss your plane goodbye.

What an irresponsible approach.