Tim's Next Project

Hugh Coleman

I am pleased that the CS60 will be electric.

It is an opportunity to discuss how larger electric models can be constructed, particularly the equipment and circuitry etc. on limited budgets.I have read about the big aerobatic models, then again, these guys spend more money on a ESC than I spend in a whole year. I personally am not keen on the arcing that sometimes appears to happen as the volts go up. Then there are the safety issues, as these do become real on powerful drive trains. Bags of meat to have a go at.

Of course an IC conversion will be of great interest to many, yet large electric models are ground breaking for every day use, on modest budgets.

Advert

I remember seeing an electric version on a beach on Anglesy some circa 25 years back, I know it seems unbelievable, that is why I was so certain it had been done.

I have also seen a version, could be the same plan with a G something or other horizontal twin (something like a cox).

More recently there is this or this and I do remember it has been kited.

I am beginning to think it has to be a twin of some sort or a biplane (which is one of TH's fortes). What ever Tim goes for, I suspect it will be different. Surprisingly we all seem to think of the models done to death by us RC modellers, look at FF such as Mikes site, and you will see many that seem to elude us.

CSB

If you want to fit a IC engine, why not, what ever floats your boat. Mounted sidewinder it would probably fit reasonably well in a side cheek. A horizontally opposed engine of a adequate size would possibly be more in keeping.

At present at 60" the CS60 is probably on the borderline of electric power viability, for use by ordinary modellers. As an electric model, it will be forging a new path for many electric modellers.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking, oh, oh, the pain!

Although the Tiger Moth has been done to death, what about a Tiger Moth. The one that is seldom modelled, and if it is done, tends to be a big IC. The DH 71 rather than the DH 82.

dh 71.jpg

The original had a nice colour scheme of white and red, with a scalloped leading edge.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a model of the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer - affectionately known as the 'Twin Pin'.

This aircraft is very rugged and has a good solid fixed undercarriage. It is a subject that is rarely modelled and could be designed as the full size with all the STOL (slats and flaps etc.) features. Should be a nice slow flying model with good landing characteristics.

With electric power I think this model would look great in the RAF raspberry ripple colour scheme of the Empire Test Pilots School.

John.

Edited By JohnnyB on 21/10/2012 23:07:31