Tim's Next Project

Hugh Coleman

Advert

Personally I'd like somebody (read: Tim) to prepare PZL P-11C or Yak-1M.

BTW, Tim, could You tell me - which of Your planes would do for a total beginner? I did one plane (JU-87 Stuka) from Guillows, and then tried to build Spitfire from West Wings - gave up due to printed sheets of wood. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Tom

• 3 weeks later...
I think that looks great Tim, a fully aerobatic twin, as Speedtwin claims, has a lot of potential for hooliganism.
I do think though,that, with so many Courier fans out there it would have been fun to do an Envoy as an add-on to the Courier plan. The early Envoys had no flaps and keeping to the same scale 1/10 would have resulted in a very benign twin with a low wing loading of 62" wingspan and 41" length.Neville Shute and Tiltman used every bit of the Courier they could. I have a spare Courier wing and it took me less than 45 minutes to draw up all the different parts and download the 4 new ribs in profili( for each wing). It will be worth enlarging the tail feathers a tad and obviously the cockpit is different but only F1 and the two side pieces need altering on the plan (basically extending the taper by 6.5" from the new fusalage rib ) and perhaps making the aileron one extra bay wide due to the greater inertia but thats it. If you have no objections I would love to give it a go for myself.

James

Posted by Phil B on 07/02/2012 07:19:11:
from me Tim. If you size it to run of 3s 2200's lipos I will be more than tempted to build one from your plan (I hope it gets into the mag)

If I get the necessary permissions from the Speedtwins current owner, then yes, it'll be in the smaller 45-48" bracket I think.

For you other lads wanting a bigger project, I'm aiming to do an enlarged Clean Sweep later on - say 60" for a 5S or .40 glo.

tim

• 6 months later...

HI Rene,

I ahve to confess to havoing somethong of a blind spot when it comes to gliders - probably has a lot to do with the 30 mile trek to the nearest slope!

For the present, I'm still plodding on with the BUSA 1/4 Nieuport 28 kit. Lovely though it is, I'm looking forward to putting pencil to paper again. I've had several requests for an enlarged Clean Sweep (a euphemism for some outrageous arm-twisting from the editorial staff) so that's probably what'll come next!

Unless I change my mind, of course.......

timwink 2

Enlarged Clean Sweep sounds great!

I'd really like it if this one is designed so an IC conversion is not difficult, a two or four stroke would go really nicely on a bigger CS (what span by the way?).

The original, after looking at the plans, would need substantial modifications for an IC engine. It would be nice to show on the plan or say in the article what would have to be done for a conversion, so it does not limit the design to electric flight.

As for future designs, how about an EDF Concorde?cheeky

CS

Christian,

I agree on the Provost! There're lots of interesting aeroplanes from that era; I'd love to have a bash at the Supermarine Seamew at some point in the future as well....

CS

Provisionally, I'm thinking about a 60" Clean Sweep (same initials as your username, bizarrely..), aimed for a 5S 1000watt set-up. 60" is about the largest size that will fit onto a free issue plan. Above that size and we're looking at having to order and pay for the plan as a separate item. Even at 60" there'll be issues to overcome - the canopy, the spats, the wing joiner etc., but it should be feasible, I think>

As for an ic-powered version, I'll leave that to the individual builder. Anybody capable of undertaking such a project form a plan shouldn't really have any trouble in popping in a 1/4 ply firewall and motor mount. Likewise the fuel tank and throttle servo souldn't be a problem - there'd be plkenty of space in the fuselage!

Anyway all this is for the months ahead; this evening I've been working on the wing struts on the 1/4 scale Nieuport - staining the wood prior to varnishing.

tim

CSB

I doubt that TH next model will be a scaled up CS.

Scaling up the plan and modifying the detail to take a IC engine is no great task.

IMO as it stands it would take a 20-35 glo with very little work. Probably a firewall to take a engine mount. or beams and ply firewall, plus an extra ply former to take the other end of the beams. A tank bay, 1/16 side re-enforcements to the the wing seat. How difficult would it be?