Tim's Next Project

Hugh Coleman

Advert

A reasonably small version of the Gotha GO 145 ( photos in RCME October) would be a nice change from aTiger Moth, Jungmann etc.

I reckon the bottom line is Tim will design whatever inspires him most.

But what we need is a plan for an electric aerobatic model specially designed for Lipo & brushless, perhaps up to 48 inch span for a 3S Lipo. Something for everyday flying all year round in most weathers. Sort of Mach 20/ Spirit/ Bullet / Gangster 52 lite etc for electric. Should be a free pullout plan as nobody is going to pay 12.50 for a simple plan with ARTF at the current prices. Of course there are some existing plans but hardly any already designed for brushless& Lipo, so we would need to modify them quite a lot ( different motor mounting, maybe longer nose to avoid ballast etc ) Far nicer to have some expert do the design for us............

Next we need a plan for an equivalent to the electric foamy Wot4............ lets keep model building alive......

Looking at the pictures that Tim has posted, I think he is drawn to the light and small commercial aircraft.

The racer type do not generally receive much favour, so I guess no Ikes, Busters and Gee Bees etc. I would suspect.

I would guess is the same for most if not all WW" aircraft.

Is it the same for the X series. Skyrocket types? What about the UK equivalent, the same?

Danny,

No problem my own "to do list" is getting bigger by the day and yes the ELF is already on therecool.

Tim,

Looks like we have the same taste so just go for a wingspan of 65" on the Corben or Chiltern, love them both and will save me time designing my own and if you need info on both just let me know.

Love that Mikes Attwood special yes and planes like the Miss Los Angeles or look alike.

To be honest I like all those race planes but specialy the GeeBee R2.

Ton

A plan for the Chilton at 64 inch was published in RC Scale Aircraft Feb March 94 as a scale up of the 48 inch pullout plan in that issue. By the great David Boddington. So it should already be in MyHobbyStores plan service as a ..26 and a .40 glow model.    Brian Peckham also did a Chilton at 1/5 scale  for Radio Modeller July 86   plan RM310.

A 60 inch Corben Super Ace was in RC Scale Aircraft Aug Sept 93 for a Laser.50 designer Dale Tattum. again should be MyHobbyStores plan, but the number was not quoted in either magazine.

Both magazines carried a good 3 view and details of the fulll size.

I suppose a specially designed electric plan for either would still be worthwhile even though they have alreay been modelled at that size.

If the Miles Attwood is of interest I have a few more photos that I took. The plane is in the Chino museum about an hours drive east from Los Angeles. ( well it was there in 2009 ) Many other racing aircraft there too, plus some unusual Jap WW2 planes etc.

Edited By kc on 13/09/2012 16:05:42

I do think one of TH strengths (of many) is that he designs models which are not just electric, but of a size which are economically viable to the average modeller. Many IC designs are often to large to be viable as an everyday model.

However there are a lot of IC models of subjects such as Tiger moths, Chiltens and so on, in every size you can think off.

One of the strongest strenghts of electric poweris  that twins are viable as flying models for the non expert flyer. Some aircraft such as the Bf 110 and Heinkel 219 would model great, having long noses, to aid the CG. British twins of the same period often have very short noses, such as the Beufighter. Go further back and there are a number of British twins that would be good to build, as well as having favourable proportions, such as Armstrong Whitley, Avro Manchester, HP Harrow and many more.

I bet TH could make a viable Bellanca 28-92 for 3 electric motors.

Edited By Erfolg on 13/09/2012 16:59:11

Lots of food for thought here - thanks lads!wink 2

Right, here's the agenda;

First off, finish the BUSA Nieuport 28. I'm at the covering stage now, then it's a matter of fitting out the airframe, adding some salient details then flight testing. Say 3 weeks.

Secondly, design, build and fly the up-scaled 60" Clean Sweep. Say 3 to 4 months.

So really, we're looking at the new year before I get involved with any more projects. It all seems a long, long time away, doesn't it?

tim

Hmm, I liked the Wolfson.

I am also pleased that your Nieuport is electric.

So I guess that the Clean Sweep 60 or 3 will also be electric powered.

I then thought why 60, is it the stock wood sizes? I also thought what would be different? All I could think is that it will possibly be a 2 part plug in wing, with either Carbon or aluminium Tube stub spars, just like many gliders. I guess you will not need as long a hatch? Other than that I guess just a little scaling up on wood sizes, and perhaps treatment (less block) of the underbelly near the motor to UC. Maybe move the tailplane servo into the fin, then maybe the elevator to the back.

I guess an article on the economics and how to build big electrics is on the way?

Still intrigued second guessing what is the next project!

Gents,

To answer Erf questions;

I'm all electric, so the bigger Sweep will also be designed for that form of power. A 5S pack will provide an easy 1000 watts - so a target weight of 5 - 6 lb looks to be in the ballpark.

I may add a few details about converting to ic power, but to be honest, if you're capable of building an aeroplane from a plan, then you're perfectly able to drop in a firewall and motor mount all by your self! wink 2

As for the size, well a chat with the editor confirms the thought that a 60" span will just about fit onto a freebie plan. Any bigger and you'll have to send off and pay for a separate plan. Makes sense, yes?

If possible I'll steer away from any fancy wing joiners (carbon or ali) in the interests of simplicity and cost. Mind you should be interesting to work out how to join those forward-swept spars, won't it?

tim