Tim's Next Project

Hugh Coleman

I am starting to think that a twin of yesteryear would be a change for TH.

Plans for most if not all single engined aircraft of yesteyaer have been done to death over the years.

There are the odd exception such as MB 5 & 2, yet they have been modelled as one offs. Then there is the odd French aircraft such as the Arsenal 100.

Advert

Posted by JohnnyB on 21/10/2012 23:07:04:

I would like to see a model of the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer - affectionately known as the 'Twin Pin'.

This aircraft is very rugged and has a good solid fixed undercarriage. It is a subject that is rarely modelled and could be designed as the full size with all the STOL (slats and flaps etc.) features. Should be a nice slow flying model with good landing characteristics.

With electric power I think this model would look great in the RAF raspberry ripple colour scheme of the Empire Test Pilots School.

John.

Edited By JohnnyB on 21/10/2012 23:07:31

Now here is a man who never had to work on the things! Great subject but I still have horrible memories of the full size.

Mind you, seeing one remaining stationary over the station flag pole certainly proved their slow flying capability

Peter, - did you ever fly in one during your RAF days? I have managed to fly in one on numerous occasssions from Coventry. The aircraft was G-APRS operated by Air Atlantique. One of the many memories of these flights was the strange growning sound followed by a sort of clunk noise, as I remember, coming from behind the rear bulkhead in the tail area. When I asked the pilot what it could be, he just replied "Oh, thats just the controls working...."

This aircraft has now been grounded for a few years while they sort out some fatique problem in the port (I think!) wing/strut joint.

John.

Posted by JohnnyB on 22/10/2012 11:11:11:

Peter, - did you ever fly in one during your RAF days? I have managed to fly in one on numerous occasssions from Coventry. The aircraft was G-APRS operated by Air Atlantique. One of the many memories of these flights was the strange growning sound followed by a sort of clunk noise, as I remember, coming from behind the rear bulkhead in the tail area. When I asked the pilot what it could be, he just replied "Oh, thats just the controls working...."

This aircraft has now been grounded for a few years while they sort out some fatique problem in the port (I think!) wing/strut joint.

John.

I went on one air test. Also tried to go an another but one engine ran away twice. None of the passengers decided to go on the test once they had sorted the engine.

The goaning noise was probably the "Bicycle" up in the centre section. A hydraulic ram that operated a mass of bike chains and cables to operate the slats and flaps.

WE had to do a complete cable change on all Twin Pins when they were found to be fraying. They didn't have the spares in ADen so they said that while we were waiting for the parts we could remove the cables and raplace them with string to mark the runs.

Oh yes!? What an idiotic idea. the shambles of trying to replace and set everything up was a nightmare.

C'mon Pete, the Stinson Detroiter was a civil transport plane of 1929 and the Heinkel He 70 G was the fastest passenger transport plane in Europe 1933. as for the Curtis-Cox Cactus Kitten that was to show there was another important triplane in history. Now that I have dispensed with Tims homework let's get down to your task, I am thinking along the lines of the- Tecnam P96 golf for you, the canopy should be a real treat for your weekend workshop.

• 10 months later...
Posted by Doug Ireland on 03/09/2013 18:22:00:

The aircraft from the original "Fligh of The Phoenix" film. I've had a go in the past but I can't get the rear fuselage right. Stringers don't work (or look right) and that back end is incredibly difficult to sheet!

Had a look. Behind the wing it looks like a straight tapered cone. Round formers with about 4 1/4" sq stringers and roll soft 3/32 sheet round it joined on the stringers.

The front part may have to be planked .

As I recall there were actually two different aircraft used in the film. The first was written off in a crash (killing the pilot), so the final shots were of somehting else entirely.

The details evade me, but it's worth a bit of research.

Back to subject in hand;

We spent last Sunday at Old Warden, and i got this pic of both the Parnell Elf and Spartan Arrow in a formation flypast. Cute, huh?

Other than that, I'm taking a little time away away from the Quadruplane.

I've been gifted a rather lovely Antares 2 aerobat by a club member. It's beautifully constructed and covered in brown tissue. The mounts are equipped for linear servos. Remember those? Anyway, I'm bringing it up to date with a blingy outrunner and 4S li-po. Other than that, I'm keeping the decor as it is!