What's your favourite ARTF brand?

Advert

It seems the poll is also slightly skewed becuase you can't really make the most informed vote unless you've built and flown all brands on the list; its too subjective. Of course the more brands we add, it becomes even more subjective.

I have owned all but Multiplex, SebArt and Hobbyking, so I didn't really consider those.

Have voted H9 having had two of their large scale Mike McConville designed aerobats and both (Extra and Sukhoi) have been flown hard and competitively and have both proved extremely durable and excellent flyers. They are not cheap airframes but hey ho.
I've recently had two airframes from Peak Models which are not on the polling list, both were 50cc machines the first was an Edge that I later traded for a bigger Ultimate and the second is a 50cc S bach both of these are/were great flyers and come in cheaper than the H9 jobs.

I dunno 'bout ending it David.

Thinking about it, I suppose some people have already unwittingly double voted; as an example, I would look at a super new Hangar 9 60 sized whatevermebob, look at the price and go ouch!!!, then find that Seagull make a similar plane for 1/2 the money, so I buy Seagull, I then vote Seagull on this thread, even though I might never of owned a H9 plane, but obviously I've already voted against H9, in this example.

Secondly, you can't include every single brand, however small or large, nor can you include kits or RTF, when you specified ARTFs.

I still thing there is some value in his thread; It does show what I think many of us thought, that Seagull is doing pretty well.

Does anyone know if Seagull is now owned by HH? If you look on the original HH USA site the only non H9,Eflite, PK brand on there is Seagull? Maybe they've just become the sole US importers??? I hope so, otherwise we might be facing a price increase.

Posted by Christian Ackroyd on 26/01/2012 13:36:49:
I dunno 'bout ending it David.

I still thing there is some value in his thread; It does show what I think many of us thought, that Seagull is doing pretty well.

Does anyone know if Seagull is now owned by HH? If you look on the original HH USA site the only non H9,Eflite, PK brand on there is Seagull? Maybe they've just become the sole US importers??? I hope so, otherwise we might be facing a price increase.

No they're not Christian, Horizon just distribute the models in the USA.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 26/01/2012 08:53:36:
Posted by flytilbroke on 25/01/2012 23:43:00:
No SLEC

What ARTF's do they produce Bob?

Hi David, as the plan is done, and the main wood all neatly cut, that is more than half the job. So a lot of them I think

Your "poke" got me though.

Really meant no favourite in the list as I have only had some experience of two of them.

David Ashby - RCME Adminre"> 26/01/2012 08:53:11

Posted by GaryG on 25/01/2012 20:42:47:
mmmmmm. well I only have an Irvine Tutor II and thats not in the list!

Help I'm stuck.....

That's Ripmax

Thanks for that David.

Seagull with Black Horse a close second.

Probably made in the same factory anyway. Apart from the under carriage mounts which disintegrate with anything other than a perfect landing on a BH.

Mind you I have two Kyosho 40 size war birds which fly very well. But seagull still get my
 vote.

JC

Edited By JC on 01/02/2012 22:38:52

If i was to not include the company with which i am involved, and who incidently, are a british firm importing from a british shared factory, with a lot of british designed models, then i would have to say that my Kyosho TA152 is one of the best things i have ever owned, i also see now and again, Brian Coopers 90 size Kyosho Spitfire, he loves it, flys great, the seagull mew gull i own will be a good model, when i have done the work it needs, major design flaws with the undercart, and a company that gave the reply--we have had no complaints, its fit for purpose, RUBBISH!! part of any ARTF kit is the help you give when something is wrong, or the ability to talk to others, or contact people in the company, and get satisfaction, or an explanation, they actually denied the design had been changed--for the worst, we have a forum for rants, or help, people in the company are available at the drop of a hat, the company is only as good as the back up it supplies, i got none from the seagull importers, and wont buy again,

All ARTFs have weaknesses; some related to design, others in quality of materials and methods of construction, not to mention errors in instruction manuals and variability in covering finish but, for my part, I vote Hangar 9. Although not immune to the foregoing problems, they have a wide range at reasonable prices and quality, and easy availability of replacement parts. I can't believe that some people find them expensive, as a quick trawl of the internet shows them only a little more expensive than Blackhorse and very much cheaper than Great Planes, in general.

Edited By Hellcat on 06/02/2012 14:39:52

• 3 weeks later...