How Many of Us Are or Were Motorcyle Enthusiasts and Why?

David Davis

Had many varous bikes since my first at 17, a Yamaha RD250. Most recently had a Kawasaki Z650 that I restored from originial to as new. Every nut, every bolt and every washer was replaced with unused originals, frame was stove enamelled and I even manged to find a complete original sticker set for all the little notices you found on bikes back then. The only thing I changed was the four into two for a new four into one exhaust as the original had fallen to bits, and braided brake hoses as I wanted it to stop!

I sold it on after I hit a patch of diesel and nearly lost it at high speed and scared the willies out myself. I've got some pics somewhere, I'll see if I can find them if anyones interested.

Advert

No longer on the roudAt the time of my youth, a motorbikes were cheaper than cars ,and also, not least ,it was matter of honor to know to drive two-wheelers gadget.....girls etc....

first one was second hand 175 cc Jawa (former Czechoslowakia) ,after that few Vespa and Lambretta scooters...then BMW 250...and then I got married.Last few years I ride practical urban scooter like Gilera 50 .....Such high speed ,big and pretty (read dangerous beast,I have no gu..s.

I'm happy that I'm alive (65)Gilera runner 50sp

I was a very keen biker. Right up until a hit run driver left me for dead with a partially severed arm, fractured skull and broken neck! I used to enjoy the rally scene with a great club. Now I haven't got much use in my right arm so I decided not to get back on a bike about 3 years ago.

I had ridden from about 7 years old. Had many bikes from 1000cc sports machines to big custom painted 1600cc V twin cruisers. As I couldn't/ didn't want to ride any more I sold my remaining bikes 2 years ago and bought some rc equipment!

Just some of my machines. Pity about Wild Star. My she rust in peace.

Andy

Edited By Turbycat on 16/04/2012 16:04:06

Just starting the restoration of a rusty wreck - a 1975 Triumph T140V, that is when I can work out which bit to tackle first.

Previous bikes from long ago, include a Triumph Tiger Cub, Honda CB250, Velocette Thruxton, and Triumph T120. Its a bit like RC flying once its in your system.....

Edited By Redex on 16/04/2012 20:20:02

Posted by Redex on 16/04/2012 20:17:15:

Previous bikes from long ago, include a ... Triumph T120.

I helped a friend rebuild a hardtail T120 about 15 years ago - extremely simple and unfussy engineering. I'd have loved to own it but unfortunately the clutch needed the hand of the Hulk to operate. Beautiful machine though. Especially liked the oil pump made of brass!

Baz

Crikey! There does seem to be a link between aeromodelling and biking but we don't seem to be any nearer finding out what it is! Perhaps it's all the fiddly small parts and endless tinkering.

I started biking because it was the only way to commute on 'L' plates without someone sitting beside me.

In order of purchase (or swap!): Yam FS-1E, Yam RD200, Triumph T140V Bonneville, Kawa KH 250, Yam RD 350LC (new), Triumph TT100 Daytona, Suzuki GS750, Yam RD 250, Honda CX 500, Suzuki GS 1000, another Kawa KH 250, Triumph T140E Bonneville, Yam FJ 1200, Yam RD 500 LC, Yam YR5, and another Yam RD 500LC.

Of that lot I still own the FJ 1200 (needs restoring now), T140E (restored and fairly mint) and one RD 500.

Not actually ridden for two years now, just too busy to fettle them at the moment.

started with a FS1E (bought as a non runner in boxes)as a way to work at 16 had various over last 32 years never left them standard always  fiddling with them ,owned 2 TL1000s for last ten years (crashed the first one after 4 years but loved it so got another ) i keep getting told its about time i grew up still get a buzz as soon as i get on it

Edited By mark hall 1 on 16/04/2012 22:07:37

No bikes for me - I grew up in a city where I would have become an organ donor. Dad raced them, and there was always something about until a few years ago, and he talks of getting another now.

I was started with mechanics on an old Land Rover, then moved onto a hillman imp (started standard, and is currently rather more exciting). The imp became a singer chamois, and gradually became too fast/cammy for everyday use. My relaxing drive is now an Austin 7 special, although it had a piston disintegrate lately...

I am relatively new to model flying, it's keeping me from working on the cars for now, it makes a nice change.

Posted by kevin b on 16/04/2012 21:22:18:

In answer to the original question. Lots of us !!!

How else could a 16 year old aeromodeller get to the flying field ?

Mind you, you were restricted a little on wingspan !

And so began the least glorious (and most incident packed) chapter of my motoring history...when I bought a Reliant Supervan III (a la Del Boy) to get my models to the field on my motorbike licence.

That ended on its side in a shower of shredded fibreglass after a young lady pulled out into the main road in front of me while I was overtaking. I took the engine and gearbox out of it and put them into a rolling chassis bought from a friend who had taken the same out to somehow put into a BSA A7 frame (which I sold him) and attach a sidecar to. I don't think he ever completed it though...

This one fell over after dipping the nearside wheel into a deep puddle, mounting the pavement, demolishing a road sign and falling over - tragically, my invincible Lumpers trainer was squashed by various toolboxes, assorted items and probably me while it slowly revolved to a halt.

I then moved upmarket to a Bond Bug - that fell over moments after leaving the model shop in Potters Bar when the brake master cylinder failed at a sharp downhill junction - there was surprisingly little damage after rolling it back off its roof although the upward opening door section was rather straightened out and I eventually replaced it.

During the life of the Bond Bug I changed jobs at work which required a car licence so the next change was to 4 wheels which seemed a little happier to stay attached to the road...although I used to continue to enjoy the Bonneville when I fancied a bit of fun until someone decided they'd like to have it - without consulting me.

(Mostly) happy days!

Edited By Martin Harris on 16/04/2012 22:51:47

Many posters have referred to the "endless tinkering" which is necessary for both bikes and models.

I must admit that those old faithless British bikes, which I once owned, in my case a Norton Dominator 88 fitted with a 600cc Dominator 99 engine and a BSA B50, came with their own free motorcycle mechanics course as part of the joys of ownership, then in 1979 I bought a Honda 400 Four. The scales fell from my eyes. I did 10,000 miles on that bike in six months and all that went wrong with it were two indicator light bulbs and one tail-light bulb.

My Triumph Sprint RS has been similarly reliable. I just change the oil, filters and spark plugs once a year. Ok I've fitted a hugger, a rack, a chain oiler, a higher screen and have made up a bracket so that I can drop the exhaust to enable me to fit touring panniers, but once these are on, they're on! I don't enjoy tinkering any more!

Maybe at 64 I'm just too old for that sort of thing.

Time is precious you know.

wink

Hiya. All these bikes and no-one has mentioned my favourite. I had a Matchless G12CSR in my youth. It was a great bike and I could see off the Bonni's when I used to frequent The Ace Cafe on the North Circular Road. Anyone remember the chain link fencing they put up between the dual carriage ways? Good stuff that 'cos when you hit it you came out the other side chips. It had to go when 'er indoors started producing the rug rats. Hoping to win the lottery one day before I get too old so I can buy a Harley Trike, as long as it's got reverse gear. lol

Geoff.........Good memories dept.

Quite a lot are both I would think, along with self mutilation, house brick heading, sticking ten pound notes up your backside and lighting them, and anything else daft, expensive, and potentially painful. I would exclude our glider bretheren, no pain for them, but they are just odd.

I ride a BMW R1100RS as my daily commute transport into London. Have been riding since 1985 without ever being without at least 1 machine. Currently have a new Triumph on order that will be my second bike / summer toy. Oh and I have a ZZR1100 C3 in bits as well that I want to sell real cheap if anyone wants it.

Carl....