How Many of Us Are or Were Motorcyle Enthusiasts and Why?

David Davis

Advert

I own(ed) a '68 Bonneville which was stolen from me - the bike I'd always wanted and intended to keep for ever. After a long time (and an even longer story) I was re-united with the frame, back wheel, mudguard and seat...crying 2

To compensate a little for its loss, I had started a long term restoration of my little Triumph Terrier which I'd owned since I was16. I finished this around the time I got back into aeromodelling. My Series 1 Land Rover awaits similar treatment when I can retire as its restoration came to a grinding halt when aeromodelling really bit again.

There's a bit more about the Terrier here if anyone's interested - apologies for the odd bit of missing text and Americanised spelling - it's not my website and some bits have disappeared!

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/04/2012 21:59:10

Honda. 'Twas only a 175 but went well. I went everywhere on it, not just local journeys. It was converted to TC with a head off a Benley 160.

All went well til I tried to fit it in the front passenger seat of a Triumph Herald! At 40 mph impact speed! 8 fractures later I never owned another bike. But loved the freedom.

The only type of bike I'd own now would be an old 500 single of some sort. My dream would be a Seeley Condor - how many of you know what one of those is!

Ian

Used to be. Fancied a restoration project I could do in the spare bedroom. I got a a Kawasaki 400 triple that was 9 years old only done 3k miles but pistons were gummed solid.

I finished it OK but it was hairy getting it down stairs with it fully built. Come to think it was a bit hairy riding it.

Wish I'd never sold it sad

first bike was honda mbx 125 from 1985 the year i was born cbt run out years ago but will redo a full test soon, really want a bonnie and my brother rides a daytona 650i and before that he had a ducati monster rebuilt with 750 parts by the team machanic of moto rapido and for a 600 it was uber fast i got to ride it around the block once and was so scared to get out of 3rd haha and have had many mx bikes one being 250 2 stroke rm that i nearly died on over a jump great fun!

Yamaha 175 trail bike for mudplugging up the Ridgeway, RD350YPVS for thrashing on 'B' roads and a kawasaki 550 ZX for drag racing in the national drag racing association competitions smile p but getting a house, mortgage, married, a child etc, meant stopping racing, then the road bike went and finally the dirt bikesad but this left lots of room to refill it with models thumbs up

I reckon its the tinkering factor.....most bikers know how to work on their bikes and modellers are mostly the same.

Had a bike since I was 16 and couldn't wait, first rode a honda XL500 when I was about 8 that my Brother had and was hooked. Big racing fan so had various race bikes including Yamaha FZR600, Kawasaki ZXR750J2 which I absolutely loved to bits, Honda Fireblade, then did a quick move to a Kawasaki Versys thinking I would like a change before buying my ZX10R 8 months later. Sadly does not get used anywhere near as much as it should. Did a track day some years ago, loved it but clearly demonstrated how slow I really am!

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 15/04/2012 23:24:26

Having funI`ve got a Mk 1 1970 BSA Rocket 3 which I purchased in 1978 (it was the one BSA I always promiised myself from when I worked there )

various other bikes came & went;

honda cb 750,kawasaki kh 400,suzuki rg 500 etc which culminated in me racing F2 sidecars until a massive accident at the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man ..

off work for 10 months and the wife threatening divorce if I went racing again so I put the Rocket back on the road againMotorbiking

I used to own a Katana, until I decided I had been too lucky for too long. I used to think if you came off at 70, you'd be dead, so you may as well do 120 aand enjoy the ride.

I used to work on Hondas, and we had a 400 4S off road bike (absolute dog to start after you fell off) and a 750 road bike as company bikes. Used to ride off road quite a bit, but always got left miles behind as my younger brother and his friends used to ride moto x

Absolutely bo desire to own a bike in the UK though.

I've had a few starting with a CG125 which I rode to death followed by a Yamaha Diversion and a Kawasaki Zephyr and then got my hands on a Suzuki Bandit 600 (old model with carbs) that I partially rebuilt and upgraded that went like stink!!! I then took it out and gave it a spin and scared myself to death and stupidly sold it , not had one since but fancy getting an old jap bike to do up.

I agree with Steve W-O about not riding on the roads in the UK due to the severe lack of driving ability of a lot of other drivers who share our road system.

i grew up with bikes,went through the usual sports bike list- RGV's,Gxsr's,Rc30,zxr's etc

then gave up on the road when i realized that my zx10r was just too much bike for our roads and took up motocross.

That turned out to be a bad move,got involved in a first jump pile up in a race and have been out of action since last june.Waiting for an op now to try to restore feelling to my righ leg.

As soon as i'm mobile there'll be a new zx10r in the garage.yes

Edited By Del Wheatley on 16/04/2012 10:25:02

Edited By Del Wheatley on 16/04/2012 10:25:30

My first bike was a Triumph Tiger Cub.

Next was a Vincent Comet, ocasionaly fitted with side car.

I bought a Vincent Rapide as a non- runner ans due to marrage and birth of daughter (in 1964) it had to go.

The mate who had it was still riding it last time I met him a few years back.

the RAF then sent me to Germany so the Comet was sold to a 'mate' for £50, I am still waiting for the money crying 2

Soz to be the black sheep here, but I don't 'do' bikes, cuz I know i'd kill myself on one..

I'm a petrol head to the core, but it's 4 wheels for me...

I don't think bikes are un-safe per-se, just un-safe when mixed with cars..!!

I'd love to nail one down a strip tho, to feel 'proper' accelleration.. Then get off, let someone turn it round, and go back...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I started off with a Puch Maxi 2 speed automatic. Went quite well until the clutch shot out of the side casing and over took me going down a hill! That was the end of that

I now ride a Suzuki VL800 for plodding about with the missis on the back and have a Suzki Bandit for tearing about on. Both good fun.

Its a lot more sociable as where ever you pull up and there are other bikers, someone will always talk.

Spooky, I was thinking much the same just a few days ago. I had 2 Velocettes, a Viper and a Venom. Followed by a 1996 Triumph Thunderbird, a lovely bike that I toured Europe on several times, followed by a Blackbird, a Hayabusa that tried to kill me, and now another Blackbird. I suppose it's the closest I'll get to flying again.

I actually overtook a mate of mine in France when I had the Hayabusa. We were going nutty as usual, the difference being that when the overtake happened, he was still sitting in the saddle of his bike. I had parted company and was flying through the air thinking 'this is gonna hurt'. It did. A lot. French hospitals are wonderful.