What do you say to a friend who has just crashed his pride and joy ?

Ian Rayne

A good friend crashed his brand new composite Extra 300 plane to day on its maiden flight and he was so cross come upset with himself he smashed his radio as well and then proceeded to tell everyone he's had enough and this is not for him as it is his secound plane in 2 months he has written off, yet he has been flying for more than 5 years and loves the hobby. I told him to go home chill out and take a sebaticle for a month or so untill his fingers get that itchy feeling again to build and not to start selling off all his RC stuff like he wants to do right now. Has any one got any words of wisdom I can pass onto him.

Thanks

Ian

Advert

Oh no, that is so sad. I do not know, some wiser people will come and they will know what to say. Tell him from me- please don't give up. You go through stages, sometimes you get some bad luck and you have some crashes, but others you can go for months, maybe years without a crash. He is just unlucky at the moment, it will perk up, if he carries on flying his luck will change for the better.

Maybe you ought to recommend for him to build a nice simple sports hack, like a Wot 4 , or maybe a SLEC Funfly like mine.

SLEC Funfly

He will have so much fun with one of these, or the Wot or a similar 50-60 inch span sports model, and hopefully it will save him.

I do hope he carries on, it is sad to lose any flyer.

CS

YES, i have words for him, its a high risk hobby, where the possibility of crashing first time out is a high possibility, if you have done everything in your power to have safe flight, then its down to just plain bad luck, or you are flying outside your skill level, so MAN UP, and get over it, we have all been there, at various levels, and will be there again, i also know what its like to lose a composite aerobatic model, it hurts, but, i learnt a LONG while ago, to accept the model, once flying, is already dead, at the end of a models life, be it long, be it short, whatever you can get out of it when its moved on, or scrapped/wrecked, then thats a proffit, i am not made of money, yet i fly within my budget, and if it dies, it dies, but i fly within my skill level, and never go outside it, and have accepted that crap happens,  and my tranny, whatever happens, will always stay in one piece

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 18/07/2012 21:11:23

Same here. Not got massive amounts of money, not the best pilot in the world, but can fly any type of model well. Also don't go outside my ability or budget. Not got any jets, although could afford one and fly one, would find the financial loss of losing that amount of money too much or a really expensive model that could go in any time.

Some models I fly are over the £1k mark, but most crashes would lose the airframe and usually the engine survives. Just one of those things. Normal sport models, if they go in, ho hum, move on, but as they say, you shouldn't fly at 100% of your ability, but at 80%, giving a 20% safety margin.

Probably why model flying is so addictive - keeping the model in one piece is half the fun, and makes it challenging. Most other hobbies are not so on the edge, as it's unlikely you'd completely wreck your jigsaw collection if it fell on the floor, but anything could happen in the world of RC Planes.

Alan C- like your philosophy re a plane being dead as soon as you send it into the air. It's true I guess- they all end the same way. At least our club (being council run) has a nice couple of dustbins so we don't have to carry the wreckage far!

Edited By Ben B on 18/07/2012 21:29:34

Its not dead as soon as it gets in the air,   it is of no value, big differance,  with the price of some that we fly/have flown, worry about the money aspect, and we would never relax, and enjoy the things, last one for me was my beloved Kyosho TA152, now declared a total loss, engine and all, tough, move on, NEXT

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 18/07/2012 21:41:01

I knew someone, who's model went straight into a concrete runway at full chat. Airframe, a large Czech model written off. A Moki 250cc 5Cyl radial spread all over the ground. Was several thousand pounds of damage. But the person flew later on. Bad luck, all equipment was 100% ok, but luck ran out. Live with it...

I think Paul amd Alan have hit the nail on the head - once a model is built and running at the end of the runway, any fun and enjoyment needs to be seen as a bonus.

I suspect that having been a modeller in the 70s when radio gear was far less reliable (and knowing it all in the "wisdom" of youth) meant that when I returned to the hobby, I was fully mentally prepared to almost expect a repair session after every flying trip!

I was amazed to receive comments like, "You're not going to fly that?" (not aimed at my build airworthiness standard as far as I know) after completing a fairly detailed scratch built scale model - the whole build process was fuelled by the thought of getting it in the air!

But - although there may be hundreds of hours invested in the build, the moment it flies they are all history and this makes every successful flight all the more rewarding - and the "edge" that knowing that one mistake or miscalculation could potentially totally destroy that work gives a sweeter buzz with success. This isn't something that you get so much with an ARTF - I wonder if there's any link between instant gratification and instant frustration when pound notes are swiftly converted into splintered lite-ply and balsa?

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/07/2012 21:57:29

Read this on the Forum ,some time ago. There are two types of pilot. 1, those who have crashed, 2 those who have not crashed - yet. 2 in 2 months ! Years ago I witnessed a friend put 3 models in on one Sat morning. He still flies today. Good advice, take a break, then return. I second Concord's wise advice. Cheers

Get him to take a look at this thread

Danny Fenton Spitfire Build

It is very long, but you see how much love and care he puts into the model over 63 pages. Then on page 63, the maiden flight which ended in disaster after about 30 seconds.

But still, Danny got to work straight away on his Hurricane.

That is what your friend needs to do (not necessarily a Hurricane- look at my other post)

CS

'It could have been worse, it could have been mine'...thats what my training instructor used to say to everyone, always brought a smile on our faces after the carnage.

Its  not nice to see someone crash their model whether they have made it or not, but I do feel for them if its a scratch built model/ own built engine etc far more than any ARTF.

But a loss is a loss and everyone has different views, makes the world go round.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/07/2012 22:29:01

When both my brother and myself where getting back into RC after having our frequency, 27mhz, stolen off us by the Government of the day, we gotsome of the cheap ARTF 'Citabria' that where going about at the time. They could only be flown in very calm weather but were great for the confidence and didn't bend and break to easy (they were very light). All I can suggest is he gets something that gets his confidence back up. Remember the motto 'It's Only Balsa and paper'.

Been in the hobby since 2007. The the first crash I had with my Blade 400 I felt sick and a little shocked.

A few crashes later it didn't really bother me. I had a 46" span 3D400 aircraft and during my A cert I lost signal to it and it went in with minor damaged.

Repaired it and flew next day and during my second A cert test lost signal again and turned the model in to sawdust. It happens.

We all feel mad when we crash and I hate it when I loose when after 100 flights or so. You just have to live with it and move on.

Posted by Ian Rayne on 18/07/2012 20:37:43:

A good friend crashed his brand new composite Extra 300 plane to day on its maiden flight and he was so cross come upset with himself he smashed his radio as well and then proceeded to tell everyone he's had enough and this is not for him as it is his secound plane in 2 months he has written off, yet he has been flying for more than 5 years and loves the hobby. I told him to go home chill out and take a sebaticle for a month or so untill his fingers get that itchy feeling again to build and not to start selling off all his RC stuff like he wants to do right now. Has any one got any words of wisdom I can pass onto him.

Thanks

Ian

Just this Ian, as you can see from the forum; sympathy comes between manure and syphilis in the dictionary.wink 2

Get back in the air as soon as possible, if not; what is he selling??

What ever you fly you should be willing to loose.i lost my much loved funtana. Hey ho move on. Laugh it off don't throw ya dummy in the corner.

Whats the fleet like.... Is it worth waiting for the classifieds although if that's what he does to the planes and peripherals then mdybr you could provide a name so we could avoid buying dodgy gearwink 2

I think in this hobby you have to accept that every flight is a risk, leave it at home in cotton wool if you want it to always look nice. I have lost planes to failed maidens, dumb thumbs, Shot down by others, and the worst, was when the trucks in the local Quarry decided to re tune their radios for their own "Private" frequency bang on mine! I lost 5 planes in 8 weeks to that, including my pride and joy, a 80" own design mosquito. I was upset be assured, but i didn't go and kick the cat, or spit the dummy. Get your head around it or take up stamp collecting.

Sad to hear of the loss Ian, but as in full size aviation, we know that, weather, mechanical faults, pilot error, lack of maintenance all play a part in any crash, yea it hurts when we lose one, but as most guys on here say, fly what you can afford to lose; it wont make it any better but at least there will be funds for the next machine.

what to say after the crash, funny, sarcastic, sympathy or silence? depends if you are going home in the same car.

cheers and hope he flies again. bbc.