Laser Appreciation Society

Frank Skilbeck

After flying almost exclusivelly electric over the last few years, I dug out my old Laser 61and fitted into a Flair Fokker DVII I'd acquired a few years back, no change of glow plug or anything fancy, just fill the tank up with some old straight fuel and it fired up on the first touch of the starter. It deadsticked on the first flight due to a loose needle valve, but once tightened, it ran faultlessly for the next 3 flights turning a 13 x 6 at over 9,300 rpm, not bad for an engine bought in 1984 and used extensivelly until a few years ago, the only replacement parts it's had in that time are some valve springs (fitted 20+ years ago) and a few new glow plugs, it's still on the original bearings.

So how modellers out there are still running their original Lasers

Advert

Posted by Ernie on 12/09/2012 08:40:19:

Hi jeff, It truly is a thing of wonder. Hope you're not going to risk it in a model

ernie

No No the thing is if you've built a model worthy of a Laser would you risk it with anything else.

But that's another "benefit" of Laser's they are as tough as old boots, being machined from solid they can just shrug off crashes that would render other engines to the scrap heap. Not suggesting you test this though...........................................

Got my Laser 100 back for Xmas last year. Have not run it yet as it was for my Topflight P47 that I am building.

Great looking engine and feels well built. The only thing is the high postion for the carb which makes inverted fitting a pain in the P47 due to the tank position.

I might sell my on and buy a TT91.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frank, bought a Laser 61, 12 years ago, (second hand) and flew it in a Skyways Hawk 70, then put it on an Acrowot. Never had any trouble at all, and using straight fuel. But thesound it makes is wonderful, and un -mistakeable. Cheers Ps, Wish I could afford another.

Edited By fly boy3 on 01/10/2012 22:56:49

I have three Lasers: a 70, a 91 and a 150 V twin, all bought second-hand.

I've owned them all for at least eight years but until Sunday afternoon had never run the 150. I took it to my mate's workshop in a farmyard(!) where we found that the exhaust valves weren't opening because the pushrods had become gummed up. Having dismantled it, cleaned everything and mounted it in a test stand we got it to run. It sounds fabulous and runs very smoothly.

I am going to build a WW1 biplane for the 70 over the winter.

I've been a member for a while with my Laser 75 bought not long after they were launched. It was in an Acrowot for a long time and then put into long term storage, badly. I stripped it, fitted new bearings and it runs just as we'll as it used to. It is currently in a Domino biplane and it is "adequately" powered and sounds lovely. Those huge loops are a treat. I also bought a Laser 80 earlier in the year and this is destined for a Skyway Models Stampe. Should be a good match. Cheers, John.

• 2 weeks later...

I've mananged to buy a second hand Laser 150 wooowooolove. Runs well.

I know the laser site says a 16x8 for the 150 but has anybody tried any other props with much success??

This will go in me 1/4 scale Stampe and inverted, so I have inversted in one of these .

This is my second purchase from them as I am really impressed with the set up and the drop in price too. Simple to install and really its fit and forget after that. Battery charge is all the system needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what can I say. Ive had some good SC FSs... (and some bad ones). Saito never let me down, quality in each one. Some great results.

Today, I got a Laser 70 off a guy on BMFA classifieds. I doubted it all. When he got it out the box I was truly in love, (not with HIM... the ENGINE). Come to Papa!!! heart

I put it on the test stand and fired her up... a little confused as there was no exhaust nipple, and it kept on cutting out at full throttle... Silly ar5e... put a vent in the tank! It did NOT disappoint!

What a STUNNING sound. I'm hooked. Im converted.

Why did they not make a 54/56? What a seller that would be to conquer the 40 2s market!!