Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Bert, if you have been cutting all that by hand, I bow to thee👏👏

I suppose you will pin the inserted metal part to the strut and not just rely on glueing it all together   

Soz to disappoint 

I used a CNC mill to cut them out

they will be pinned and bonded,

However the cross bracing should hold them In compression so probably doesn’t need to be to fussy,

Well that is if Practical Scale are correct about there 1-3 scale struts only needing pinning at the bottom 

• 2 weeks later...

We went to wobbly wheels with a few more this year

the opening slot was very busy on day1

over ten flying not sure exactly but it was busy.

I recently sold one of my Hannibal’s to my mate Rob Staines as I was expecting to purchase a similar looking plane that was slightly bigger, but that’s a story best forgotten,

Our newest Stampe and Hannibal recruit Rick,completed his first show with a Hannibal, next show he’ll be bringing out his Stampe

Alan Page flew his Stampe that I recently upgraded the engine and had a great time by the look of it

As did my son William flying a Hannibal and His own Stampe in great gusto 

I flew Robs Staines Hannibal on the first slot and his Stampe on the second slot, was good fun with both and I do get to fly them both at my local club on a regular basis so know their quirks 

As for the recently re worked G-Bert 

think it must have heard that I was retiring it after the weekend and it said hello to a bin,

I was in a dilemma what to do with it as got to get PLM out more

might have a couple more Stampe lovers soon.

9 minutes ago, William Macleod said:

Hi Bert.sad to see the demise of your stampe. As soon as the comentator said stearman you machine dived into the ground. Very sad

Bill

Yeah cheers,

I did me well,

It was the first plane that I had ever flown at a show.

It taught me loads and turns out from comments I received at the show, my Antics although not to everyone favour have been quite a inspiration and encouraged others to join in and have a go,

just goes to show it doesn’t have cost loads to have some fun 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Just spent the last week reading this thread and worn-out my glasses. I have a stampe kit that I have been going to build for the past 10 years. Will be starting it over the coming winter and am in the process of ordering a Laser 180 for it ( that's my beer money gone) . The President kit  has its faults but maybe that's part of it charm. A bit like a Hammer horror film ,so bad it's actually good. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garry Webb said:

Hello everyone. Just spent the last week reading this thread and worn-out my glasses. I have a stampe kit that I have been going to build for the past 10 years. Will be starting it over the coming winter and am in the process of ordering a Laser 180 for it ( that's my beer money gone) . The President kit  has its faults but maybe that's part of it charm. A bit like a Hammer horror film ,so bad it's actually good. 

It must have taken 10 years to read this 👀

GW, I built mine from the same kit when this thread started. Couple of things to watch out for, firstly throw away the hard die crunched wing ribs and make a new set from light 1/8th balsa by the sandwich method. My kit contained sheets of ribs with 50% having different spar positions but the plan shows each wing to be the same. The other main thing is the tail incidence. Mine needs to fly with what looks like full down elevator but this does not detract from it in the air and it will perform inside and outside loops.

I understand that there were two versions of the plan, one right and the other not so but with the tail sitting on the spruce longerons it would have been difficult to get it wrong. The full size wing/tail incidences can be googled.

Mine was originally 6.2 kg with a 155 but later changed to a 180. Moving the battery to the rear of the bay kept the cg at 1" forward of the upper TE.

Look forward to a happy year of balsa bashing.