Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Another stunning day here in the Lot and flew again this afternoon. Boomerang had 3 flights again, my foamie Me 109 had the dust and cobwebs cleaned off and had two flights too. Also the Phoenix 2000e was able to give two 20mins flight on 1 x 2200 3S due to weak but real thermal activity.

About 15 pilots there this afternoon - we all had a great time.smiley

2 days flying in succession - yippee - when will it end? Well Wednesday at the latest as the rain is coming backcrying 2

Terry

Advert

Soon be needing a new thread, judging by the weather today - but we do have an advantage down here......smile

Met up with Terry W down at Lalbenque - bright blue sky, 14C but still a nip in the fresh breeze. Terry had his 4T Boomerang, Phoenix 2000 and his foamie Me 109, last seen by me heading vertically downwards on its maiden.....embarrassed I had the Decathlon, Goldberg Cub and HK Salto.

Plenty of flying and, for once, the breeze was just about on the runway heading. Just a couple of pics of the Me 109:

Terrys 109

Terrys 109

Flies well - and looks very menacing!

Pete

Weird weather here yesetrday - very thick fog and cold all morning then suddenly at 2.30pm the sun broke through and it was fantastic weather. Had good go with WOT 4. Tried to maiden my HK Hurricane but (1) no way it could take off from the grass, even though it's quite flat and short (2) tried a hand launch but canopy just shook off - very poor magnets supposedly hold it on. Tried securing it with some binder twine I found on the field but no good so gave up. This probably was fate telling me not to do it!

Great flying weather in Dundee on Sunday, although there's still a fair bit of water on the field. Chairman Kenny maidened his Phoenix P-47 Thunderbolt in his usual spirited fashion.

jug1.jpg

jug2.jpg

Four of us had the now-compulsory Sharkfaces, all electric powered and on 3-channels. Absolute mayhem in the air!

Went to our field, no one there, just me and that was not for long.

Breezy and very cold. Not pleasant

Even the resident Kestrel is having a hard time of it, flying from power line (local) post to post, hovering occasionally, as it desperately seeks something to eat.

Back home now, the Lipo will take little recharging. I have glued a bit more onto my Panther autogiro (3/4) and now have to wait till the glue dries. When will the weather improve so the problem becomes, when can I build?

Inspired by Petes efforts I threw a quick video together.

Taken in summer to match Petes French winter skies. The video was taken by a Flycam mounted in the cockpit so it's looking through the canopy....a sort of "pilots eye" view if you like.

Apologies for the strobing of the prop too but what the heck....enjoy the blue skies & dream of those summer days to come.....wink 2

Had some good flying at EMC Ripley yesterday, the ground being frozen made the mud less of a problem.

We had two of Nigel Hawes "Prats" up at once, now both brushless and pretty ballistic. You dont have to spend much to have fun, but fingerless gloves help a lot. (also a club hut with heater!)

Also tried a new Rhino 40c 2150 4C pack in my Sebart Angel 30e. Highly recommended. Much better performance and endurance than old Nanotech 3000. The weight reduction seems to make a big difference.

And my equally crazy nephew was flying a h###copter in the snow, each to his own!

Re heading,,,,, Not a lot crying 2

The weather in our northern area has been very good, but cold. So I decided to go to my Aviemore club but before doing that got in touch with someone local to it. The runway is like a ww1 Flanders battle ground of frozen mole heaps he said after going to check it out. Why can golf clubs do the treatment but not us? Especially since the wee b's seem to learn how to spring the traps. devil

So I stayed at home.

Whereas at the height of summer, finding a parking bay at our field can be difficult, at this time of year. with a very light although bitterly cold wind blowing, finding a buddy is the problem. Non the less when I arrived there were 4 members there already.

Now there was nothing remarkable to mention, , there was however a new model present, well new to me at least, a Multiplex Solious. I am seldom impressed with foam glider models, although two have in the past. The Parkzone Radion, the Multiplex Cularis (although known by a somewhat more racy name within our club). A new standard seems to have been reached by this Solious.

I had my one flight, for once able to do my mild acrobatics, tame stuff, loops, inverted flight, rolly polly rolls, Chandels etc. For the first time in a while, I flew the plane, rather than struggling to keep the model up wind and doing circuits.

On landing I said I was going, as I was rather cold. I was pushed to one side in the stampede out of the field, me left trailing. Having the lock up duties, how did it happen, I had felt guilty saying I was going so soon?

Perhaps of greater note, was my flying experience in the Lake District this week. Not for the flying, although good, but the experience. My wife had insisted that we spend a few days up there, near Cockermouth.

Normally I fly from the beach at Allonby, a quite extraordinary place. It is like stepping back in time, possibly as far back as the mid1800's. A collection of some 50-100 buildings, all effectively on the beach. After a flight in the ever present wind, a walk along the deserted beach, miles in either direction to the next village or township, so remote. Then into Johnies Surf Bar for a half and a warm, before going home. That is a standard routine

This week was different, we continued to Skinburness, another extraordinary place. A collection of no more 10 cottages, on a spit of sand, which protrudes into a shallow bay and marsh, which is a large inlet on the side of the Solway Firth.

We drove to a deserted location, from where I could fly my model, knowing with great confidence, that no one would be about, to trouble. The one concern, which became far more apparent on landing and later walking, I had to land at the launch site. If I had landed out, crashed, the model would have been lost. As the area was either sand/mud flats with the tide out, woven with deep channels, ready to claim the unwary.

Yet the sheer majesty of the location was breath taking, in the distance, the hills of the Lake District stood out, veined with white from snow on the peaks and gullies. The landscape around, completely flat. Four ex airbases could be seen, one now a communications centre for NATO submarines, across the bay, some 1-2 miles away, then further down the coast the hangers of Siloth airfield stood out, inland stands Kirkbride airfield, a fourth set of hangers can be seen, which look like hangers, although possibly storage buildings.

It was the walk around the peninsula that completed my day. The sand spit, was once the naval base for Edward the first, with his war with the Scots. The naval base and town, all swept away in that era in a violent storm. Today just the 10 or so cottages and a farm house remain. Inland are the magnificent views towards the hills of the Lake District, with the vista of the vast bay before, the home of so many wading and shore line birds.As you round the headland after a mile or so walk the vast expanse of the Solway Firth is before you all the way to Scotland, a couple of miles wide.

I hope to go back in a fortnight for another more cautious flight and take in the magnificent landscape.

I have seldom been so moved, only the view from daughters then house across the Murray Firth to the Black Isle, is comparable.

I guess the people who live in these environments such as Flyingtilbroke, do not stand with the same awe, thinking, it is so ordinary.

The only flying I've done lately was 8 hours on a 757-200wink. Out to Fuerteventura and backlaugh. I've been so fed up with cold/ damp/ snow that a half term break with kids was required!! Was a little disappointed to have to drive back from Birmingham to London in the snow at 3am on Sunday morning. Now back on nights and wishing I was back in the Canaries with the sunny skies and 20+ temps. Hopefully I'll get down the field later this week.

Andy

Posted by Erfolg on 25/02/2013 16:33:35:

I have seldom been so moved, only the view from daughters then house across the Murray Firth to the Black Isle, is comparable.

Have they renamed it then, possibly after the exploits of that Scottish tennis player? smile p

I spent two weeks or so every summer holiday for the first 18 years of my life in Invergordon, with a view across the Cromarty Firth to the Black Isle. And I believe there's a model club somewhere in the hills near Dingwall with an impressive view of the Cromarty Firth and the Black Isle.

As for flying, too cold to even contemplate it this weekend - especially after the relatively mild weather the weekend before. sad

Posted by John Privett on 26/02/2013 00:01:04:

As for flying, too cold to even contemplate it this weekend - especially after the relatively mild weather the weekend before. sad

That's the trouble with you slope soaring types - too nesh! wink 2

I'm surprised at you John - obviously you have been "darn sowf" far too long!

BEB

John, If I had only learnt to spell, never mind place namesembarrassed. Whilst my daughter lived at Culloden, I never found a model club. Although, I was just about restarting modelling, probably 5-6 years back then. When she moved to Inverness, there were a lot more clubs there, I never found the time.

I do wish I used my camera more (or at least had it with me) and had an inkling of technique in there use, as so much of model flying is about action and the environment.

I also wish i had and could use a video, again to capture the total events of people, surroundings, in conjunction with flying models. I guess this takes a lot of vision/direction and much editing.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/02/2013 00:29:09:

That's the trouble with you slope soaring types - too nesh! wink 2

I'm surprised at you John - obviously you have been "darn sowf" far too long!

BEB

OK, but I'm mostly a power flyer who wanders onto the slopes from time to time! And yes, I guess I have lived 'darn sarf' too long - longer than I ever lived 'up north'...

But also, at our club site we don't fly alone and I figured the chances of anyone else venturing out in the prevailing conditions was pretty low, so I'd have been wasting my time going...

Erfolg - yes photography and videography is a huge subject (and slightly off-topic in this thread!) but you're right, with video a lot of the work is in the editing. I can cope with editing, not sure about the "vision/direction" that you mentioned! I video model shows etc. as they happen and worry about the editing later!

Anyway, just looked at the forecast, and it seems to be continuing cold with northerly winds right up to the weekend. face 17