Keep away from hobbyking NTM prop drive motors

Kev Greenwood

put a brand new 50-60 380kv NTM propdrive motor from hobbyking onto the front of my slipstream MXS 74inch, run it up to test if for Watts, and 3 magnets came loose scraping the backplate. Took it apart and pushed them back and applied thin cyno all around the magnets, put it back together, stuck watt meter on, read 1480 watts then motor ground to a halt, ALL the magnet came loose, this is the second NTM motor that ive had with the magnets comeing loose, they are total rubbish i would advise people to keep away from them.

really fed up!!!!

Kev

That's the second one Kev bought that shed magnets before getting airborne ,must admit it did put me off ,but these motors are so cheap by comparison to AXI Hacker etc , you normally come out well on the winning side in terms of money spent ......well I have as my fleet of 50 plus all run well and have done for several years. And they don't sit in the hanger for long before it's another ones turn to be dragged kicking and screaming to the field.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 18/01/2013 23:47:36

i have put a complaint into Hobbyking about the motor, as usual they asked for pictures, video footiage, a DNS and stool sample!!!!! what my setup is etc etc.....

Im wondering if its worth the hassle....but its a $60 motor and rather than waste $60 i could put it towards something decent. However TW2 aka uncle Tom had sold me a Turnigy 50-65 motor which runs superb but it wont give me as much power as the NTM motor (on paper).

If i dont get anywhwere with hobbyking, i will have a go at glueing the magnets back in with JB weld and give it another go, but if they give me my cash back, i will have a nice big fat Turnigy ESC.....

Kev

• 1 month later...

I have fixed one (only one, so not an expert) motor for a club member where a magnet had come loose.

It was apparent that the magnets seemed to be held in place with either a thin resin or hi viscous cyno. The rest appeared secure, although, looking at where the losse magnet came from, it was not obvious why.

A good number of years back i had read how to assemble your own motor. In this case spacers were inserted between the magnet to space them. Then cynoed in place, to secure.

As part of my repair I decided to insert balsa spacers and then secure with thick/hi visc cyno. I did this in sections. I then trimmed back the sticky up bits of balsa. This caused far more issues than I thought. It turns out that the Swan Morten Scalpel blades are either not stainless steel or at least not Austinetic. As it turns out are all small kitchen knives. In the end, I decided to use a stick, with aluminium oxide grit attached, to sand down the stickey up bits. I washed in water and left overnight sat on top of a radiator. I had considered just using the knife, without any drawing action, so as not effect the magnetism. I also took care to place and lift the motor off the radiator by lifting straight off, with a card separator. All just in case.

Any way, it worked, and is not as involved as my writing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been running NTM motors in my boats and hovercraft since they first came out and have never had a problem unless you count wearing out shafts after hours of full throttle running. I think they are a great value motor and better than the price suggests. If you want super long life then buy a top quality item, if you want reliable steady motors then NTM are fine by me.

You only get what you pay for !!