8 Mannschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 134
9 S Webb F1 Racing Experts Simon Webb 133
10 Gazs Eagles Gary Goodfellow 126
11 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 120
12 Lost The Track David Gilder 111
13 Etude Racing Bond Aero 104
14 Slopeflyers jimbo32010 94
15 Norflok Flyer nssrcmf 82

Which means that Pete B is our winner for 2016!

Championship Standings

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 2924
2 Bernies Brown Envelope serepton 2888
3 pits specials pits specials 2831
4 Iqon Racing iqon 2715
5 FalconFormulaOne Tony H 2652
6 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 2593
7 The nut that holds the wheel johnpflyrc 2588
8 Mannschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 2495
9 Lost The Track David Gilder 2488
10 Etude Racing Bond Aero 2469
11 Slopeflyers jimbo32010 2415
12 S Webb F1 Racing Experts Simon Webb 2403
13 Gazs Eagles Gary Goodfellow 2375
14 Essex Racing Essex Racing 2121
15 Norflok Flyer nssrcmf 1923

Well done to Pete, and to bigbubba and John S for making it a close contest!

A few place changes yesterday, Tony's high score for the day took him to 6th, above Ian in the table, who managed to remain a mere 5 points ahead of me - the closest gap in our league. Carl was also moving upwards, displacing both David and Chris to reach 8th - again by a fairly small margin,  7 points!

It's been an interesting season with plenty of action in a lot of the races. Thanks all, for participating, it's been fun running this. As usual the full round-by-round scores are available here.

Before we know it the 2017 season will be upon us, and maybe an end to the dominance of Mercedes? But would that mean a return to a Red Bull era? We'll see!

Edited By John Privett on 28/11/2016 18:46:55

Wow! Thanks, chaps - it was all for the reputation of the mods!teeth 2

It wasn't easy last year and I didn't expect a snowball in Hell's chance of repeating it this time around, particularly as I was up against some tough cookies throughout the season in the shape of Bigbubba and John S.... made me sweat a bit, I can tell you! smile p

Well done too, to those in mid-table who stuck doggedly at it throughout the season.... it ain't a league without the playersthumbs up

Last but certainly not least, as has already been mentioned, a huge vote of thanks to John P who does a sterling job of the admin, whatever the weather (and his results....wink 2) and keeps us all on the ball with the predictions reminders! You've got to be in it to win it, as they proved time and again!

Here's to fatter tyres and faster, noisier, wider cars next year - and let the party begin!!cocktailbeercakedevilteeth 2

Pete

A chat with a guy, who seems to know about some of the testing of the bits that will make up next years cars. it was claimed that the over all times seem to be higher with the bigger tyres and more down force, contary to what is written in the press that I read. He thinks that although it seems a certainty that RB are historically seen as a better bet, to be beneficiaries of the changes, horse power still matters a lot.

As per Lewis, there are suggestions there will be a price to pay, although unless LH speaks publicly, we will never know. A team that is run by a driver, has ineffectual management. It is the team that pays the wages, racing for teams is a business, in that the books must balance, which is often about meeting the expectations of the sponsors and owners of the team. For Mercedes it is selling cars, around the world, which means the team wins, not particularly any driver, whatever the nationality, in general terms.

I am sure that Lewis could walk, not sure that RB would necessarily be desperate to have him, in that they have Max Verstappen and Ricciardo. In the case of RB not only do they have excellent drivers, Ricciardo fits well with product image in Australia. For Mercedes they could have any one they want, from Fernando, Vettel etc. all known winnwers. All prepared to support testing when necessary, above all do the PR as required. Even though it could be harder fro Mercedes next year, it could be very bad news for lewis to try and walk away. Recognising that he spent years in the wilderness when McClaren hit its barren period.

For me I made poor choices with my cars primarily, going for Hass based on their USA record. Most of us in the Mid table and even lower down seem to be very close on points. Which suggest we all knew that Mercedes and either Hamilton or Rosberg were sound bets. What also let me down badly, is I presumed that a similar number of safety cars would be called this year, the numbers seem to have dropped quite substantially.

Let's not forget that if Mercedes are not as dominant next year then they will need LH as much as he will need them.

NR is good in a dominant car but as the pre 2014 season showed he is a good steddie eddie but nothing more. I can see team orders being introduced next season to make sure that there is a Mercedes WDC rather than having the two of them splitting the points and allowing an RB driver win the WDC.

I do see Paddy Lowe leaving Mercedes in the next year or two and taking LH with him to Ferrari. Vettel is burning bridges every time he opens his mouth.

One area that Schumacher used to excel, was that he was prepared to undertake a lot of test driving, to the extent that his team mate could have difficulty in both getting in on the process and influencing the direction of development. It is in this area that it appears that Lews is not particularly intrested. Although there are a team of test drivers in the back ground that we generally are unaware of, the input from the F1 driver is needed from time to time.

I am not sure that NR is particularly a steady Eddie in the usual sence of the phrase. He appears to be more Prost like, plays the odds game, calculating, a sence of gentllmany behaviour (mostly gone from the 60s), and rather to much of a company man (for my tastes, requiring a fair management to thrive).

What the future really holds, is a total mystery to me, although Vettel seems an excellent driver, his manner does not fit well with some of the old school Anglo Saxon hierarchy. Perhaps it is his swearing, and the broadcasters a willingness to put it on air, that is his major problem. In the right car he is a winner.

Can Lewis be replaced, to true he can. Can any of them be replaced, dead right. Can some one repace Lewis and do a better job, I would not bet against it happening, although i may never actually know, not for certain.

What ever happens in the Mercedes team i would not speculate. What did surprise me is the almost public utterance of Ross Braun, that seemed to indicate his departure was very engineered. By whom and why, is the question.

A few months back there was a major article on Adrian Newey, on his career. The most intresting aspect was how he came to leave McClaren and the dealings of Ron Denis. Top designers come and go, from Gordon Murray, Ron Tauranac, Harvey Postlehwaite, John Bernard. Who the next one is, is always interesting, particularly with hind sight

I heard on the 12 o'clock the news.

Am i shocked, no, a little surprised,well yes. It is not the first time this sort of thing has happened, I am thinking of Mike Hawthorn and then there is James Hunt.

It has been apparent having a child has changed Nicos view of what is important, from some recent comments.

I note from the link that Vettel is being touted. I would think that this is a none starter, if Hamilton and Vettel are in the same team, both cars will be off the track at some point, as neither will just give way as Nico was prepared to do. I would have thought they would consider max Versttapen if they could get him. Lewis would instinctively know, you do not mess with him and think you will get awaty with it. Also at this stage of his live he is a hard charger. But could they get him.

I think that this is a little difficult, there are the politics, economics of teams, with the deals to be had. Just as importantly there are promotional aspect or marketing aspects of the major and minor sponsors to consider. Although I guess in this case it is primarily Mercedes.

What a pity it cannot be Jenson or Palmer?

Mercedes already have Pascal Wehrlein as one of their available drivers. There are others too.

Anyone who earlier this week placed a bet on Pascal Wehrlein for the 2017 champ could have got odds of 500 or 1000 to 1 ( I forget the exact odds but something extreme like that ) Now they don't even quote any odds!

I reckon Alonso will stay near his phone at the moment!

KC

I think you have a point in that Alonso, probably is in a position to make the move. Again it was flagged up that his contract with McClaren had a opt out clause in the event the car failed to perform. Which means in effect if he is not happy he is free to leave.

The down side is that Alonso was not happy with both Lewis and McClaren. The problem with McClaren he could see that Lewis was getting the upgrades in preference to himself. Then there seems to be other issues between the drivers. On that basis, Mercedes cannot take it for granted that he would be prepared to join them, not without a lot of reassurances and possibly these written in the contract.

In the case of Lewis, he probably would not say wow, that is really good news. I am so glad to make Alonsos acquaintance as a team member again.

Of course there is the issue of the Mercedes board, Toto and Lauda. It is know, if the press is correct, that the board are not happy with respect to various aspects of Lewis's behaviour. Lauda, seems to have gone from, do not critise a member of my family, to a position, that is less than accommodating. In the case of Toto, he possibly needs to be seen to be managing the drivers in the team.

Will Lewis spit out his dummy if the wrong team mate arrives, from his perspective?

If I was Merc I would be thinking hard about coaxing Mr Button out of retirement on a 1 year contract. Fast enough to gather plenty of seconds and the occasional win on Lewis' off days, gives great feedback on the car, proven to work well with LH and a sponsors dream. There's probably no compensation to be paid either, unlike in the case of an Alonso, Vettel or Verstappen.

Given a bit of luck and a car that suits his style he could even grab a second championship - it certainly didn't go badly the first time he drove a Mercedes powered car...

Edited By MattyB on 02/12/2016 19:52:36

WOW, no I didn't see that coming, Hamilton of his own accord or pushed but not Rosberg.

Good on him though, by the sound of it not too tough a decison in the end, just gone up a notch in my opinion.

Button, would be nice, can't see it happening though, oops have I got it wrong again!

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/12/2016 20:58:29

Nah, do nor see Wherlein as a replacement. Pretty much ordinary, in racing driver terms. At best a stop gap, but why?

I can see it is a hard decision, with the contract arrangements, I would see Alonso as a good bet, other than Lewis. But in essence that appears to be the problem with all the very exceptional and experienced drivers. Yet would you dump Lewis, as who ever replaced him, would bring pretty much the same partnership issues. Not are all Jenson and Nico type temperaments.

A truly difficult decision.