Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Just now, McG 6969 said:

... no probs, Glenn.  ?

John S gets 'overexcited' quite often...

Shame for his Iphone though...

Should we get all 'excited' about the pre-season's tests starting tomorrow morning? ... 

Cheers

Chris

No, I`ll be busy "building".

On 10/03/2021 at 21:37, McG 6969 said:

... if I remember well, the last 'JP Specials' were designed by Colin Chapman and were wearing a black/gold scheme.

... but I thought sigarettes advertisings were banned a while ago, John... dunno...

Cheers

Chris

Well you see,  99.999% of people may associate "JP Specials" with Colin Chapman's cars or a brand of cancer sticks that were popular at that time (and maybe still now, I dunno?) But since my initials are "JP" then, uniquely, I view the name JP Specials differently! ? 

Taking it a stage further,  my full initials are JSP.  So when I see the old 'JPS' logo;

image.jpeg.dda7f7d144e8aeadf0bf23940d95134f.jpeg

I actually see it as my initials - JSP.  Obvious really - at least to me!

Meanwhile, in Bahrain,  it seems they had strong winds and a sandstorm to contend with.  So I'm not sure if there's anything to learn from the day's times.

Just seen the news about Murray. 

Sad,  but I don't too many of us would complain if we make it to 97 - I hadn't realised he was as old as that.  

He'll certainly be well remembered for his enthusiasm,  as well as for his many memorable quotes.  One of which - or a part of it - I used as my Fantasy F1 team name in 2015,  "Not just up but down as well" - The full quote was, "This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."

RIP Murray!

... RIP, Mr Murray.

... of course being non native British, I never really enjoyed his comments on BBC.

... but, he still remained a legend even to us poor Continentals...

As John P wrote, I would still be happy to reach 97 as well... or maybe not really...

Cheers to all & stay safe

Chris

Testing is done, and time to form some half-baked opinions on the pecking order! Something I do each year, and always get it wrong, but I never learn.... ?

Looks like Mercedes may struggle their way through a few of the early races, but no doubt they will come back strongly as they either make their floor’s aero concept work, or they switch to another one.  Even so, with Red Bull looking so comfortable in testing, I can’t see a Merc driver taking the title without a much bigger fight than the last few years.  I’ve even put some money down on Verstappen for WDC and Red Bull as constructors champions (the bookies must love F1 testing, as we all take a little bit of info and try to extrapolate it too far).

Are McLaren going to do as well as they’ve looked during testing? Will add to the intrigue if they do.  I’d love to see either RIC or NOR winning races. Yuki Tsunoda taking second fastest time on the final day of testing will raise eyebrows, but this is Honda’s protege and maybe that engine was on its final run and the Honda engineers dialled everything up to gas Mark 9 and used settings which would not be race legal.  I’m not concluding Alpha Tauri will be in the fight for podiums, but regular points finishes could well be on the cards. 

Where does Alpine fit into the mix and how will a race rusty Alonso fare against the 2021 field?  Drivers returning to F1 after a break always seem to struggle to reach their previous heights and I’m betting a middle-aged Fernando will not achieve as much as he is aiming for, and knowing him, negativity might soon emerge.  However the Alpine car is looking sound and could be at the front of the midfield.  

Williams! Can it finally be time for their fans to breathe again?  Some points in 2021 are much needed and their car looks good.

What’s caught your eye during testing?

Edited by Charles Pic

I tend to agree with John S regarding the Merc dominance. A bit of 'variation' would be more appreciated, I guess...

Therefore, a stronger opposition from the Honda-boys would be great for the show.

James Key apparently did a good job too with McLaren's new diffuser, although for me the biggest surprise was the tempo of Young Tsunoda for his first time on the soft tire compound. Even maybe with the possible help of an extra boost by the Suzuka engineers as Charles P stated...

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

None of them went for it. / sandbags at dawn........They can all go faster. have to wait for practice 3  then choose / change. At least they all turned up with a working car.

Hope williams have a better year. Scrub that , I hope I have a better year.?

I’ve had a good ponder, and I’ve decided not to enter a team this year. I’m too tight to pay for proper TV coverage, the free to air is dire, and I’m just a bit underwhelmed by the modern format of the sport.

I might be back if enthusiasm returns, but until then thank for your company lads.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Don Fry said:

I’ve had a good ponder, and I’ve decided not to enter a team this year. I’m too tight to pay for proper TV coverage, the free to air is dire, and I’m just a bit underwhelmed by the modern format of the sport.

I might be back if enthusiasm returns, but until then thank for your company lads.

It's a shame to hear that, Don. If you can stretch to €64.99 for the year and a reasonable ADSL, F1 TV gives you live coverage of all the sessions, with the Sky commentary - bare bones but you get the necessary bit. I receive it on my phone and cast it to the TV. Infinitely better than waiting for the CH4 highlights! Sorry folks - not available in the UK - Sky make sure of that?

I'm thinking things might be a tad closer this year too - unless a certain team is sand-bagging.....?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, nearly there, I guess...

We'll know tomorrow early evening who's been the best 'sandbagger'.

James K seems to have made a fine job with the McLaren design. Even if Norris stated that RB & Merc will be at their spot tomorrow completing the 2 first rows.

On a side note, I visited an English, a Dutch and a French F1-sites. The common result of their polls regarding the best looking 2021 cars was Alpine in the lead (37% of voters) and Aston Martin second (30%). All the other teams just received 'peanuts'.

Unfortunately for them, this is not really reflecting from the free practices today...

Stay tuned... and Don't forget your predictions...

Cheers & keep cool

Chris