Peter Miller asks what next?

Posted by Erfolg on 28/03/2020 13:03:41:

Another similar Werewulf look alike

CL632 334G - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

It was made by a Peter Russell in the 1950s, perhaps 60s, I know, was there such a time, photography was still done with plates of glass, sex had not been discovered.

Yes It probably inspired Werewulf. I did build a 334G back in the 70s.

Er...Glass plates??? I bet you think that we uses flakes of flint to out the parts for modelsdisgust

Advert

Peter

At that time my models were made using a double bladed Gillete Blue razor blade, a flint could have been a luxury.

My mother worked as a book keeper at the time (later an accountant, with a maths degree) in a shirt maker. So I had pins available, also some very glossy tissue paper, that did not shrink.

You ask, how did your models fly? It depended on how far I could throw them.

Trusting a child with a double edged razor blade, could only happen in the distant past. By the 70s one edge would have had masking tape wrapped over it to protect from little, careless fingers. As it was in the late 50s my models had a splattering of dark red, randomly splatted over the balsa.

Perhaps, not being able to get a good square cut, is the reason even today, with Swan Morton Scalpel and other equipment, my accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I just accept, that it is good enough, not that things can and should be better.

I am now thinking, can I draw up a QED body? We will see, I should have the time, have I the ability, that is the question?

In those days we often snapped them in half lengthwise and then snapped one end at an angle to get a sharp point.

If you have 3 views it isn't too hard to do the drawing.

Or you could always go to Outerzone, down load the TEquila Sunrise plan and use that as a guide to doing your own plan with a bit of stretching and fattening

• 1 month later...

Well, after weeks of searching I have found inspiration. an almost perfect subject that fits all my criteria.

Easy to build with structure that matches a model. Fabric covered wings.A big canopy made out of flat sheets. Taildragger. Big strip ailerons

Very, very aerobatic.

A little known aircraft but a lot of them built with good colour schemes.

This is a fully aerobatic microlight stressed to +9 and -6 G

**LINK**

THis is the Rans S-9 Chaos. and boy do I love it!!

Some thoughts on the design of a model: That big window under the wing will be done as a panel of covering, black or silver. The struts will be cosmetic only. For my own versionI will choose one with unspatted wheels. Not sre about which versipn of the turtle deck I will use but probably the taller one.

OK Folks Now tell me what you all think!!

Looks like a very interesting subject. From the opening shot on that video, I can’t see any trace of a main spar through the cockpit so the struts must be really earning their keep on the full-size! For the model, with a slight fudge, it looks like a wing joiner tube could be fitted immediately behind the instrument panel to avoid reliance on the struts.

I look forward to seeing this one take shape.

Trevor

Paul

I am doing it at 48" span which is half way between 1/6 and 1/5. an will give a span of 48" and an area of just over 420 sq. in.

I would say that about one and a quarter times would be nice with a.52 FS

Trevor

I am going to take the wingright across the fuselage and the canopy or front part of it will be permanently attached to the wing. The pilot will just sit on top of the wing.

This is intended to look good in the air and be easy to build.

Other people can customise it tp suittheir own tastes