Lancaster for newbie?

Advert

so like a fool who is completely new to rc modelling, I decided to build my own. The plans are on the way as i speak. Its the nijhuis 104" wing lancaster. I am probably a little ambitious, but what the hell. I need to fly it and i understand there are exams to pass to do this , any info would be gratefully recieved as long as no bad laguage is involved lol. Also can I fit petrol engines instead of electric. Also anyone who has built like this in the essex area wants to come and advise it would also be most wellcome. converting my 20 ft avairy into workshop at present then i am ready to build

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Most clubs are going to insist that you have a 'B' certificate to fly that as its over 7kg and let's face it you won't be able to fly it in a park so...

So... Here is a suggestion.... Build something that you can learn to really fly first, and use it to prepare yourself for the additional expense and complication of the Lancaster. I'm still learning about building, but I started with a SLEC funfly for that very reason. I had a plan pack for the Nijhuis Spitifre and knew I needed expereince on something else first.

Even having done that, make sure that you really understand what you are doing. This is a wonderful model but will represent a huge investment of time and money, and can be very satisfying. Get it wrong, by.... Well just for example; building 'wash in' into one of your wings by accident, and it will spin in on the first flight.

There is nothing wrong with taking on audacious projects, but its a mistake not to respect the challenge.

Get an ARTF trainer now, join a club and learn to an 'A' standard minimum. Its not a legal requirement but it is by far the best way to start flying bigger models.

Lancasters are actually quite easy to fly but you have to treat them with respect and plan your next manouver before you start it as they are quite slow to do things. I would also highly recommend electric, you need a reasonable bit of experience to be able to set up and run 4 IC engines reliably.

If you are not in a rush I would also recommend that you build the smaller electric one first.

Well i'll not argue with any advice given but i can tell you my side.

For my first build i am doing a 1/4 Nieuport and no i cannot fly a plan either.

It has taken me 6 months but it is just about ready for flying.

A member of the club i belong to (The Flying Doc on here) has lent me a 7' model to learn with and i also have access to a club trainer, so i can start to learn whilst i get another member to test fly it so when i am ready its there, i also have a flight sim.

So i say go for it, but find a club to join and learn to fly whilst you are building,best of both i say

• 2 months later...

, Go for it Steve, my first build coming back after a forty year break was the TN B17 and i could not fly either, but do get a trainer to learn on while you build it. I have nearly finnished a 134" TN Lancaster its an easy plane to build, just think things out as you go along, AND have a big workspace, mine will have 4 ASP 52 FS s in it

Steve, only way to prove people right or wrong is to keep up the posts as you go along - good or bad.

I'll be following and willing you to succeed but have to agree on the advice about a club even if it's only to get building advice for those tricky bits where the plan and instructions don't seem to quite match.

Skippy

Sometimes you can't get through to people to go the right way. The local model shop was asked if they could put a plane together for someone, who never flown before. Added to that, it's an F-15 edf!!! The model shop kept insisting that it's the wrong plane, but would put it together, anyway. The person wanted it together, hopefully it will be a hanger queen, not get destroyed in a second.

It's still there,in the shop, after over a month. The person has still yet to pick it up, and do fancy it, myself, though...

Hi Steve, You are being way too ambitious... If you go on as you describe, you'll almost certainly never get the Lanc finished...And if you do, you will never be able to get it airborne...Now, for a much more sensible course. BUILD a trainer, and get to know some of the techniques of building...Learn to fly it with the help of a club. Maybe after a couple more models, you can consider the lanc. Believe me, it's the only way to go........................ernie

Please take the advice above seriously. Quite apart from the perils to your pocket there is the possibility of hurting - or killing - someone if it all goes wrong.

Sounds melodromatic, I know but this very scenario with a much smaller model and an inexperienced "go it alone" flyer killed a 14 year old girl a few years back. No amount of insurance (which you are extremely strongly advised to have) could compensate for such a loss.

Once you go above 7kg, you then take on far more legal responsibility for the consequences of your actions. Any incident coming to the attention of the CAA could result in you having to justify the decision to fly your model and judge its fitness for flight in a court of law.

Having made the "heavy" points above, on the plus side is the pleasure and sense of achievement you'll get from learning to fly and especially with a model you've created yourself. A good club shouldl enhance this experience and I believe the majority would agree - although there are many who enjoy flying alone.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

i do intend to join a cluband learn to fly with a small plane, i also understand the need to insure. I am saving at present for transmitter that will fly the lanc, then i plan to join a club and fly a trainer or one of these planes i bought. i understand i need to be level 2 qualified. how do i add pictures here?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking and building big, the sense of achievement you get from your own build is the best. Ok you have a problem when it comes to flying but I'm sure a club could check your model out and might have someone qualified to fly, if they want to take the risk.

I do think you should find a small hack to fly at least you gain the experience and maybe one day fly the models you build with the right training.

good luck Ian