Summer-what summer....? How much flying are you getting in?

Advert

Pete

Lifted directly from another post last year on this forum **Link**

Quote:

"4.2.2 Article 166 ? Small unmanned aircraft(3)

The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaidedvisual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation toother aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose ofavoiding collisions.

I don't think we should be seen to actively encourage contraventions of the ANO on a public forum!"

End quote.

Is flying that high into cloud such a good idea??? -WF

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 23/07/2013 18:50:02

Thanks for the thought, WF - it might be eaten by a passing Mirage but they're normally about 250ft or less....and don't fly at weekends or during the extended lunchtime.........wink 2

I didn't intentionally fly into the clag, honest.....teeth 2

Pete

Today is a Ohh der day.

I have been training towards my "A" test and been using an old (+20 years old model). The model has warped or was built that way, which was dealt with by trimming out a turn via the ailerons.

Unfortunately, every week, the same question would be asked. Should the ailerons be set like that? This week I addressed the issue by cutting the wing in half and resetting.

So on Wednesday, I took of confidently with the ailerons level. Only to fid the model swung hard left, not responding to right input. So I did one circuit and put it down on the strip.

I then decided to take it to club No. 1, where the farmer has harvested the grass for silage. So it is as short as it ever is. So dead centre of the field, a good half mile from the nearest road. Not a building of any type for a mile. I opened the throttle, slowly, then more. Nothing doing. So I moved the model to a slightly better lie. Repeated the process, again nothing.

So back to the car, took out a sheet of polythene used to keep the boot clean, together with a large sheet, used a dust sheet. Back to the field. I laid out a runway of about 15 feet. That should have the model light on the wheels, I can then keep on going i thought.

Opening up the throttle, the model leapt forward and then there was a chop, chop, sound, and the model on its nose. I was stunned, this should not happen. Then I thought, great, that will another propeller broke then! Then the thought had you better not shut the throttle.

ohdear.jpg

The damage to the sheet can be seen, that is from some 500 watts. Then it struck me, once it came to a halt, the propeller did not keep on going as many predict, it just sat there, getting hot.

I then thought I will try out the failsafe, as expected it just shut down.

The day is so perfect, I walked about trying to figure out, how can I get into the air. I thought long and hard, then, nothing. I turned towards a hand launch. Fortunately sanity returned, frustration remained. How can you hand launch a model that you strongly suspect could turn strongly to the left, you will not get onto the sticks fast enough. I knew no one will come, it being Thursday.

I then pondered that others at the club had used the same technique of sheets of polythene to get WW1 biplanes up.

So in frustration I drove home. Even the cat had done a disappearing act as It knew, that it is traditional to kick the cat in these circumstances.

I did ponder the truth of David Ashbys editorial, that modern models are much lighter and as a consequence fly better.

I reflected that on Wednesday i had flown the club (ic) trainer, which was much easier to fly through the "A" test schedule, than my electric models. Perhaps it is because it is new, no, it is newer, but not new. Yet it does fly itself, particularly the dead stick, where pretty much a full circuit could be made. Which then set me thinking perhaps i could be allowed to use this for the test.

I then thought, it is probably better to consistently demonstrate the "A" test procedure, with all the club training personnel, before asking to take it. That way, there should be confidence that I am as safe as i can be for the sites challenges. After all, they just stand with me, we have a chat, being my personal talkers, providing information that I am going to far across the river etc,

Then I thought, am I in any hurry? Not until next years Greenacres.

Hi Erfolg. Dunno about you but I fly mode 2 so when handlaunching I throw the model with my left hand so as to have control with my right (and for three ch models I mix the aileron channel to rudder so that either stick has rudder control on it).

Fridays Child is Loving and Giving so goes the rhyme

So what has that got to with flying models. Nothing other than Miss Michelle was born on a Friday. Hopefully todays flying would go well.

I had thought that i would not be allowed to go and fly today, as it is a well filled day with lots of tasks nothing to do with modelling or flying. Even worse the next few days are similar. Although I am hoping to take in the Maryport Blues festival at some point.

Yet a window appeared which allowed a few hours at the field. Would I be able to check out my recalcitrant model? Would there be anybody there within my allocated window.

I need not have worried, as the field had the now familiar Blackpool promenade line of chairs, with a squadron of gliders up in the sky. I think you can gather that it is baking hot here in the NW.

After an eternity all the models returned to earth. I explained I needed a hand launch, and the model could be uncontrollable, at least under my directions. It was queried why? The last time it was seen the model performed well. I briefly explained that I had been persuaded to make some changes, that had made things as they are. Now I needed to sort things out again.

Normally we operate two flight lines, having the space, one side is glider launches and arrivals, the other is for electric sports to launch, fly and land. I explained I hoped that they would not mind that I would use both, probably circling around our pit area. Np sooner had |i made the request, than all were huddled in a tight knot saying, oh my god, Carl is flying, lets stand behind him. Can i have permission to leave the killing field before he starts? came one loud voice.

A volunteer stepped forward sharply reckoning that it would be the safest place to be as the launcher/

I cranked in a little right aileron, a little right rudder and a little up on the trim button. Undertook a fianl check of the Tx and flying surfaces. Opened the throttle fully and she was away.

I had to much up and it still was turning left. After a few circuits all was under control. The day trippers had returned to their chairs. The well rounded leading edge had allowed massive apparent AoA, or vertical flight to be reaches, whist the trim was madly jabbed at, saving the day. Once trimmed all was well again,seems strange, how the world can change from impending disaster to just another flight.

The landing was text book gymnastics, a fast approach, alight touch of the stumble and a perfect forward tumble, landing straight, on its back, not quite a full summersault, I will have been docked a lot of points for ths mistake.

All in all, a good session.

Friday evening was absolutely gorgeous. Loverly warm sunshine andno wind. I flew the Curare 25, the Wall themed Tucanoish and my Puppetteer. We flew until sunset.; Absolutely stunning. Ian Jones brought his SE5a along and we had a hint of dawn patrol for about 5 minutes.

The Pup had a very narrow escape, the engine seriously overheated in flight. lost power and I had to put it down out of sight in the next field. Just a hint of war damage now.. However, I need to think on how to improve the cooling a bit better.

A memorable evenings flying

Martyn

Posted by Erfolg on 25/07/2013 19:31:25:

Will

If I only had your dexterity, unfortunately not

I am convinced we are supposed to use both our hands cheeky

Today was strange, just one chap flying F3a when I turned up. When he left, noone else showed at all before I left at half two. Apparently the club has 70 members dont know.

Never mind, I took good use of it and few DLG from the middle of the patch with good effect. That little glider does get small quite fast though when it gets away in lift!

A couple of flights with my RCME poppet to finish up.yes

Posted by Martyn K on 27/07/2013 22:12:34:

Friday evening was absolutely gorgeous. Loverly warm sunshine andno wind. I flew the Curare 25, the Wall themed Tucanoish and my Puppetteer. We flew until sunset.; Absolutely stunning. Ian Jones brought his SE5a along and we had a hint of dawn patrol for about 5 minutes.

The Pup had a very narrow escape, the engine seriously overheated in flight. lost power and I had to put it down out of sight in the next field. Just a hint of war damage now.. However, I need to think on how to improve the cooling a bit better.

A memorable evenings flying

Martyn

I think you had left when I had my last flight Martyn. In aerobatic terms it was nothing to shout about, the light wasn't right for that but it was one the most enjoyable flights I've had recently. The sun was just kissing the horizon as I landed so during the flight it had been either very well lit up with the red sunlight glinting off it or a silhouette. Both looked very atmospheric, next time we'll have to an evening patrol in and someone with a camera - it'd be great. teeth 2

A for this hot weather, love it so yes I'm getting more flying in now than all year so far.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 28/07/2013 00:05:41

Todays experience at club number two, demonstrates why none of us should be to quick to judge. Also how initial impressions can be misleading.

I had joined the club for two reasons, my interest in gliders has waned somewhat, and I increasingly fly models with UC, and my club has no cut landing and take of area, the second reason, is I needed a "A" cert to fly at Greenacres.

To day my first flight almost ended in disaster, as on take of, my model swung left, I banged in rather to much right aileron, rolling the model on its back. After sorting this out, my figure of eights were two high, my loops OK but high. So I repeated these manoeuvres at a lower altitude. Then had to land as the timer alarm sounded.

I then flew my second model, with a different instructor, made a complete mess of the figure of 8s, looped to low. All the time I was lacking power, which was a issue. The issue was so pressing I decided to land, before the timer alarmed. On the approach, I found I could not maintain height, possibly stalled the model, going in behind a forest of trees.

Given the general topography and botany of the immediate area, my instincts were to right off the model. Other club members had different ideas. Like it or not, they set of with me at the rear in search of the model. It was probably no more than 300 yards from us, if we knew where it precisely was, but it was the equivalent of a league. The first 50 yards were no issue, as we walked the length of the mowed area. Then we plunged into shoulder high grasses planted by the Environment Agency. a mixture of grasses, nettles, flowering weeds, with me at the rear. This went on for at least 100 yards, the ground then fell away to a copse of trees that runs along the bank of the river at high level. There was here not only the trees and bushes, but brambles, presenting an impenetrable wall, as far as I was concerned. My two companions eventually found a way through, with some difficulty. We then were faced with something which I cannot really describe, plants like cane that towered above head height, mixed in with climbing plants, all growing on a slimy mess, which is a food plane, when the Mersey rises above some 20 feet. At this point, I was instructed to actuate the motor. The model was some 15 feet from where we stood, completely hidden. The model was fine, other than a broken propeller. The return journey was even harder, with a model to contend with.

By this time, the predicted rain was falling, as we aimed for the field. Much to my surprise we were greeted by a club member, who informed us that our models, chairs and tool boxes had been transferred to the car park.

This really does show, that often we males, may not greet new members like long lost brothers, yet a camaraderie build with time and familiarity. I did and can only thank every one involved, as there help went far further than I would envisaged in my wildest dreams.

Whilst the rain descended, my Lipo was checked. The reading was at 6%, after less than 5 minutes of flight. It is goosed, after possibly 4 or 5 flights. So a new one will be ordered later today.

So in some respects a traumatic day, yet a happy ending.

Edited By Erfolg on 31/07/2013 15:53:00

last week end was the sunderland airshow......not far from us here on the north easty coast.....on friday evening we were treated to the red arrows arriving...comming up the coast and over our town center....before landing at newcastle airport.......on saturday we had the fairey swordfish fly over our field on its way to display...as well as various others two(we think)mustangs and a ME109...went along our coast......

ken anderson ne...1 ...coast dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 01/08/2013 18:38:44

Out again last night, Tucano and Curare again (and a heli which I landed badly after about 30 seconds - I am learning not to crash at the moment).

Nice evening - in fact I ended up on the field by myself - literally flew until sunset. The only interesting snippet was that while I was priming the OS25LA in the Tucano, (finger over the venturi and spinning the motor with the electric start) on arrival (ie the engine was cold), the engine burst into life! Note, no glowclip attached. I was quite amazed, the onlly thing I can think of is that I had partly flooded it and there was sufficient compression to cause self detonation.

Mental note to self, don't use the electric start to prime the engine - go back to the squeeze bottle again.

Fortunately, my hands were nowhere near the whirly bit and the model was tethered.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 02/08/2013 08:05:03: I was priming the OS25LA in the Tucano, (finger over the venturi and spinning the motor with the electric start)

Mental note to self, don't use the electric start to prime the engine - go back to the squeeze bottle again.

Fortunately, my hands were nowhere near the whirly bit and the model was tethered.

Martyn

Why would you do that? All that is needed is to block the venturi and turn the prop over by hand until the fuel reaches the carb *in this weather*.
Use a starter as you do and you'll just end up with a hydraulically locked engine and a bent conrod.

In this weather I'm having more problems with overprimed engines than under primed.

Posted by will -0 on 02/08/2013 08:29:00:

Why would you do that?

Pure laziness - I just watch for the fuel coming through then stop the spinning... this time I did but the engine didn't..

I have never bent a conrod yet (in an aero engine - wrecked a couple of car engines though)..

Martyn

Friday,club No.1 is the destination, the Sun is blazing down, the car air temp is registering 26C.

On days like this, i have a concern, being late, will there be a parking space for me? Parking spaces free, just one car, a young woman making a phone call. Strange place to choose I thought.

So no rows of chairs, with old men taking in the sun. So I placed my chair near the middle and then went for my stuff.

field1a.jpg

My chair can be seen at the end of the well trod path.

The wind was 15-22mph, but the flying was good.

The location was so relaxing, that I spent a good 30 minutes watching the local birds, a couple of lap wings, a parliament of crows.

On my way back to the car I came across literally hundreds of pigeons, swirling about in our other field which has just been cut.

field2.jpg

Nearing the car, I spied a Airship in the distance, I watched for some time, it not appearing to move. Then the penny dropped, it was over Old Trafford, the England-Australia test match. Probably some 7 miles away.

airship.jpg

It can be seen just above the middle tree. I never said I am any good at photography. My wife said, would you like a camera for your birthday? I am no good at photography I replied. Yes, I know, but would you like a cameracrying 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow ,

Summer is defiantly not over yet , Had a good day down at the field today with my son Paul and Successfully flown My brown and white Sipa 200 boy i think it is even faster than the silver one .

Could not race them together as i was getting glitches on my FF7 (ch2 only) so i could only fly one at a time frown .

Sorry no pictures as the batteries in my camera had died shortly after starting to video the bungee launch of the sipa 200 then the bad luck continued as i started the motor too soon so the prop caught in the line , best laid plans gone to ruin due to knee jerk reaction to put the power on Doh .

The rest of the day was great lovely sunshine all afternoon and flew my other planes without a hitch .

Paul liked flying my Little Bit Special , it stayed in the air for a good half hour easy , Planes where going up and finishing there flights while he was still air born .

Glad i am not in work this week i would of missed out on a fantastic day smiley.

• 1 year later...