Summer-what summer....? How much flying are you getting in?

we've had temps up in the 30's today.......i was down our field with fellow club members.......and unfortunately there was a couple of mishaps(due to mechanical failure etc....) and the heat......one chap writing off a model in its 3rd flight and then having a dead stick with one of his petrol models........he may come along and let us know some details.......so back to the thread heading -this will be good news for the LMS..... smile o

ken anderson ne....1..air accident dept....

• Summertime
  • And the thermals are booming
  • Gliders soar
  • They soar so high
  • Oh yeh the Tx is charged
  • Your glider is so very high
  • And your wife expects you home for tea, NOW!

I have been out on Wednesday and Today. Wednesday, at the power IC club, today at the electric club. Yes my friends are electric.

I arrived before any other modeller on Wednesday, strolled onto the patch and observed a squadron of House Martins sweeping the strip. It is something I cannot put my finger on, that is the feel, of the place. The field is surrounded by trees, Then there is the strip, a circle really, surrounded by waste high rough grass, with stinging nettles and the odd triffid. Hidden from view, is the Mersey, waiting to claim your model, steep banks lead down to mainly turgid water, with a fast flowing channel. Certainly not farmland, nor parkland, hard to put your finger on it. Yet it is a valued flying field

When every one arrived, There was a lot of flying activity, some banter, some sitting quitely, withdrawn from the main groupings. So how did I go on, OK, not perfect, enjoyed it though, having flown three models.

Today, was something different. This site is most defiantly farmland, wide open spaces, crops, herds of cows, hedges, electric fences. It all starting of with a surprise. On opening the field and going in, I almost immediately fell over a body lying in the grass, which is now mid calf length. My first thoughts were, oh my God, what has happened. Thankfully the body stirred, and turned out to be a lecturer from the local FE college, sunbathing.

As to flying, well, with all that heat, my glider was just sucked up from the ground, high towards the sun, the heat sagging the Solarfilm. After 30 minutes I had has enough, just to easy today. A gentle breeze, a cloudless sky and a Sun pumping out so much heat. I then flew my Pulama, or what ever, as foamy Dave Royds has mentioned, these lightweight, indoor bibes, need rudder for direction, the ailerons just cause roll. But they are so much fun, in light wind, you can keep your super scale jet turbine models, yes these little ones are so much fun, at such low cost.

I then flew my Basic model, what can I say, does everything. I have practised the throttle management on this one, whilst looping. It was great.

Now a boo, hoo! I readied my GWS Texan. I have just fixed loose furry hinges, changed a motor shaft, fixed this, then that. Now one aileron is low, I tried to equalise using the trim. Naaaah!, something is wrong, yet again the servo arm, is not always been driven by the servo. Had to take it home to replace it, no flying it then.

I cast about and spied a club member with a Parkzone Wildcat I think, well I cadged a flight with it. Now I do like Parkzone models, they just fly and fly well.

By then my Hayfever was playing havoc with all my senses, itchy eyes, running nose, itchy ears, not feeling good at all. Time for home, for my second bath of the day, well I must be very dirty, it would seem,

I had a great session on tuesday evening, that was spoilt somewhat at the end. After about 4 pm in the week our strip sees hardly no action, except for myself and one or 2 other daytime workers etc.

I had a few great flights with my seagull edge, the NGH engine is getting better all the time so I cant agree with the criticism ive seen, Some great flights with my little Hobbyking Radjet 800.

And then a couple of trimming flights with the ST Models MX2 I bought at Weston, first 2 flights I set it a little nose heavy just to be on the safe side but it didnt seem as aerobatic as it should so for its 3rd flight i removed the weight and now it flew great, because the sun was getting lower and nearly opposite the strip I was flying off to the side over an adjacent field, quite far ish away, i came out of a roll and while still banked over slightly, pulled a bit of elevator to turn, when all of a sudden there was big DRRRRRRR flutter noise. I saw something drop off the plane and it started to dive. In my mind it was probably half of the elevator had come off, so holding nearly full back on the stick i managed to get it back over the strip and land as best i could, going to investigate the undercarriage didnt survive the arrival, the elevator was still in one piece but had totally detatched from the stab along the foam line and the 2 little plastic strip hinges had pulled out as well, the canopy had come off and thats what was up the top of the other field

After about 3/4 of an hour search i finally found said canopy and started walking back to my car to pack up when i felt what felt like a little pinch on my hand, I looked down and there was a about a 1.5cm grey mottled fly where id felt it, I shook my hand to get it off and noticed a tiny speck of blood where it had been, i cleaned it off with a wet wipe from the car and thought nothing of it. Wednesday morning in work, the back of my hand started swelling up, was really itchy and felt quite hot so when i got home i put some insect bite relief cream on it, and some ibuprofen cream for the swelling etc and thought it`d be ok. Yesterday i woke up and my hand was about twice as thick as usual, really itchy and hot, the area of the bite had turned red and into like a big spot, i went into work and phoned the doctors for an appointment to get him to have a look, by the time i got there the bite spot had broken and started weeping etc, looked horrible, the doc prescribed me some really strong antihistamines for the swelling and penicillin for the bite, its gone down a bit now but is still really itchy and irritating, looks horrid etc and i cant even have a pint in this lovely weather because of the penicillin !!! After a bit of research, It turns out it was a Horse fly and they`re nasty little beggars, they tend to bite in the evenings towards dusk and some people have gotten blood infections and all sorts from them

So next time I go flying in the evening, Ill make sure to be covered in insect repellant as well as suncream

Edited By Codename-John on 12/07/2013 20:46:35

Living barely 30 miles from the good doctor, you would think that his weather was the same as my weather. Thank God no! Here, the air was still, as the morning progressed the air went from a cool to hot and sticky. looking into the sky, air traffic was clear to see, white as seagulls, though no amount of thermalling could get you to 33000 feet, as they criss crossed high above.

Down in the field, I had brought a flleet of models, enough to raise comment. Oh, with so many models, you will have a lot of repairs to do. There was much banter, as we ribbed and counter ribbed one another. As usual one member turned up with a fine collection of models, except that his preferred control method, resided on the kitchen table. A finer collection of deck chairs have not been seen since Blackpool Promenade in the 1960s, I half expected some one to come round selling tickets,

As for flying, the club is very catholic in its range of model types, gliders, DF, scale, most types you can think of were present. In my case it was time for me to try my Ta 152 H, after all i have had two competent modelers try it. Verdicts were mixed, one reckoned he had a Tiger by its Tail, the other, dead easy, beautifully balanced. Now the wing was repaired, after crushing it in a car door it was my time.

Well I can truly say that this numpty found it great. It goes like a rocket if required, most unscale like, cruise like a trainer. Loop, well like a F3a, roll like a demon.

The one disturbing note, on reflection, was the club secretary, saying we are loosing members to well how can we put it, death. A bit of an issue with respect to field fees. Youngsters go off to womanise and uni, lost forever. To few middle age men are finding the joys of RC.

Yet when all the fun had been had, I was forced home by Hayfever

I got three flights with my Tomahawk Viper Jet today. Just love the sound of the Change sun 12 blade fan.

As to the hot weather,well,i dont like it. Never have liked it. All i can say is, bring on the wintersmile d

Edited By flyeruk on 14/07/2013 22:14:31

Edited By flyeruk on 14/07/2013 22:15:14

got down to the patch at 10 ish and got 7 flights in on the Chippy, lots of descending 360 degree turns, split s and other assorted scale comp manouvres, even tried a couple of spins. Came to the conclusion that I wont be entering any comps this season crying 2 Great day though, good job I swiped Roisins factor 50 sun cream. Finally staggered in at 7:30

Cheers

Danny

Just across the county border from Ashby-land it's been another hot and sunny weekend. A modest turnout yesterday and somewhat more today, but not as much flying going on as you might expect - it was just too warm for many to do much more than sit around chatting and only occasionally flying...

I have a certain sympathy for flyeruk's POV. It's perhaps a shame we can't "balance out" some of our weather!

The morning started out very slowly then accelerated to rather sweaty crescendo, as I hurried to leave the afternoon free for flying.

Was I glad to climb into my air conditioned car, each time I do get in, I remind myself, your next car must have the same, So I drove, relaxed to the field, through the searing category 3 heat +30C apparently. Oh, i was so relaxed,as others, fretted with wound down windows, sweating, cursing and being bad tempered. What is so wrong at 10 mph, in the centre of the Manchester-Chester road, what, what?

At the field I was very surprised that no one else was there!

After opening the gate, i walked to our flight box, the hot weather showing quite clearly the well trodden path, of beaten down grass, It was also very apparent that there were two flight boxes, as some lazy people could not find the energy to walk those few extra feet. Surprisingly, the grass had jumped up in height from lying flat at the week end, do not know why, but at least knee height now.

I erected my folding chair, donned my Sun Records cap, sat down and contemplated the world. It is great here I thought, as I looked around at miles of country side, with hedges, the odd tree, the simmering grass, yes, life is great.

First up was my Paluna (must learn its spelling, I think). In this light breeze I anticipated no problems, Nor were there any, not as such. I do remember Foamy Daves comments, that these indoor model (biplanes) are turned with the rudder, and ailerons just roll it. In a wind these facts are very evident. The model, often flying along one wing low, quite happy, but no turning. The control needing active mixing of the true. Yet, you know, it is the juggling that is the fun. All too soon i had to land as the motor sagged.

Next up was my old stalwart, my so called basic. But it does a good routine, on about 120w.Bunts, inverted, loops etc are no trouble. I did a number of loops as part of the outing, in preparation for the "A" test. I then decided to do a few dead sticks, like it or not, what ever I think, they must be done. I took the model up high, chopped the throttle, to nothing. Immediately diving down to loose height and reach the landing spot, overshot at a good height, turned into wind. The model all but stopped, pushing down, I reached the approximate are for touchdown, opened the throttle and climbed back up. I tried again with the throttle ticking over,just like an IC, now this makes it very, very much easier. It seems a windmilling propeller is like a giant brake.

I went to the car next and collected two more models replacing the others. As I walked in the field, I could see my chair in this vast grass field with knee high grass, I thought so poignant, what a great photo it would have made. Such a pity i do not have a camera, or the skill to capture the mood.

The next flights were with my two UC models, hand launched by me, just getting away with it. Why bother you may think, it is the dead stick landings, of course.

I learnt two things, my old trainer murders the task, the heavy wing loading and smallish prop I think. The downside, is that the badly built wing, has to be sorted, which I have now started. My Firenza, has a major issue, it could be the big propeller acting like a massive air brake, it could be a braked propeller. At the moment I do not know what. The facts appear to be that the model does not glide, as much as falls. To hit the spot, I need to dive like a dive bomber, overshoot, turn back, get the nose down and aim at the ground and pull up before impact. Yet with a ticking over propeller, landings could not be easier, landing itself.

By now I was again hot, and had the distinct feeling of being roasted, so packed my stuff around me, started of to the gate, as the farmers massive tractor rumbled through, with a grass cutting factory, slung of the back. Seems we will be off for a few days then.

The good news I will be able to just use the field with my UC until the grass grows. Then again I do like club 2, so much choice.

Seems that some are suffering due to the present hot spell in good old blighty.

Spare a thought for us unfortunate enough to live in hotter climes. It's about 25c at 0700h in the morning climbing into the mid 30's by midday. Thus, it's normal practice to be at the field at 0800h to get in some flying before the heat gets unbearable. The rest of the day is suffocating until about 1930h when a couple of extra flying hours can be found if the violent summer storms don't materialise.

Still, I'm not complaining. On average I get to fly every weekend and perhaps two or three times during the week.

"I tried again with the throttle ticking over,just like an IC, now this makes it very, very much easier. It seems a windmilling propeller is like a giant brake."

Erfolg: Do you know that you can turn the ESC brake off on most models quite easily?

Then you will get a free spinning prop like you want. Yes a windmilling prop acts like a big brake, that is why many full size planes can feather their prop if the engine cuts, it stops the windmilling and gives a longer glide (but I am sure you know that).

Woolston

What gives the least drag, windmilling or braked prop?

It did make me think, that IC could just hit the throttle cut button, so why do they not?

The trouble with analysis of most if not all test, it is just to easy to convince yourself that they are wanting. Particularly, as my models go to low power, where as IC can run out of fuel. In the end, even if unrealistic, most of what we do makes no sense, such as Golf, why not just place the ball in the hole. What is the sense of flying model aircraft. So I am seeing the process as just a goal, pointless,as is golf, but a test of an artificial contrived situation, which requires skill.

I have on return to my house wondered if the BMFA test would disapprove of the dive approach, as used my many competition modellers at the end of a slot to hit the landing circle. My fears are that much of BMFA thinking is based on full size practise, without asking why do they do things that way, are they relevant to model aircraft?

Steve, I do not know where you are, but 30C works for me, I am not keen on the UK humidty, a bit sticky. Like many, I am hopng for a good Sunday, although I have a afternoon party to attend.

Erfolg, I have always understood that a windmilling prop will cause more drag.

I did find this

A nice mod has deleted your double post and fixed your link in the preferred fashion, WF - after 1111 posts shouldn't you have the hang of it by now?wink 2

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 19/07/2013 23:02:35

Woolston

I have read the article and concluded that the propeller should be unbraked, that is freewheeling. I have just used my programming card to set, if not already set to freewheeling. Which reminds me I have assumed it is a Blue series (not a good trait), so must check it is not a "plush" The article reckons that there should be little drag from a freewheeling prop. The present situation is that the model behaves, as it has hit a brick wall, just about falling from the air. So I am guessing that the prop is braked, but is turning, due to its large diameter, finish pitch, and a motor with definite cogging characteristic. So experience will tell. With the motor set, just above closed, it flies on for ever. So there is some issue with something.

Anyway, I am now charging my Lipos for tomorrow, if allowed out to play. I hope that all other modellers are also doing their airframe checks, checking batteries etc. As it should be another scorcher, today the wind has dropped hers, from being very strong yesterday evening.

Where in Kent? <intrigued>

Anyhow - I don't like hot weather, which sets me up well for two weeks in Corfu in August!

Best time? I get there around 7:30PM, and the sun is a bit at eye level. Set the models up... and get to it around 8:30PM, and fly at dusk. The sound and sight of a Spacewalker, Saito 72FS put-put-putting against a red sunset? Can't beat it.

Having sadi that - it's far to windy to do anything at the moment teeth

Just lost my Nebula - big thermals here today.... smile

It was around 2000ft, sitting nice and clear under a fluffy cumulus and I decided to bail out and track southwards to bring it home. It seemed to fly over a newly-forming wisp of cloud and there it was - gone.... disgust

Full up ele to loop it down didn't produce anything, not even a trail of wreckage.

Contact details inside but there's an awful lot of countryside here..... smile o

She was the first model I bought back in 2008 when I came back into the hobby - completely unfashionable and hardly a state-of-the-art thermaller - but she gave me some great flights.......

Bye, old girl.... crying 2crying 2

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 21/07/2013 15:41:10

Well down here in sunny Hampton we hit the headlines with the highest temp of 32.2 or something. I think I was in the attic on this day checking out my airframes. Boy was it hot up in the attic. I went down the club and was the only one there. Did a few flights but a bit too humid and needed near full throttle to fly around.

Went home a little frazzled.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 22/07/2013 07:33:24

I had been told on Saturday night, that I could go out play on Sunday. In fact the club president had rung to find out if I was playing out, and it did look favourable.

On Sunday morning, yet again I was reassured that going out to play was not an issue, that is, as long I was back so that I had had a bath and was ready to go out at 12:00hrs. It was now 09:00 and I had not had breakfast, not loaded the car. I realised this was of course you can go, but life could be taking a turn for the worst if you do.

As I thought we did not go until about 1:30, to my eldest daughters 40 th Birthday party. This was also the opportunity to make the ceremonial hand over of a Estes Falcon, obtained at Greenacres, to the oldest granddaughter. I had carefully constructed the model to the highest aeronautical standards. Adjusted the CG to perfection, with lead stuck up its jacksie, technical wording for tail pipe.

The handover went without hitch, the model being received with alacrity and test flying went underway in their garden, twice as long as my paltry patch of turf, which showed it had a really good glide ratio.

15:00 hours had the first guests arriving, and my first beer, "Iron Maiden". A glass of something bubbly was next, the afternoon drifted into a haze. I casually watched the two models zipping hither and thither, as the sound levels generally rose. What I had not expected was that adults of my daughters age, have at least one child. Non the less the models kept on flying, bouncing of the Bouncy Castle.

I retired from the flying field reminded by the BMFA advice with respect alcohol and flying. Contenting myself with a hamburger in a bun. Some charcoal turkey and other summer delicacies. Now a glass of red wine, and I realised I would not be going home tonight, I would be staying.

No sooner had i settled back and te two models wee thrust into my hands, broken. Not being tell tales, protestations of innocence were made, an accusative finger thrust in the direction of the miscreant, a gaggle of children. Out of which one sheepish boy emerged.

My fathers is a Aeronautical engineer was declared, he can fix it. I was quite content to delegate the work to BAEs finest, after all what could go wrong, thats what I thought.

A few drinks later, the world was quite a happy place and then my youngest granddaughter materialised. His dad has had a go, but he cannot fix things like you grandad. Your the best, I grew in stature as i took another sip, my god, she is such a good judge of capability, I thought. Then in a trice she was gone like the Cheshire cat, which was strange in Lancashire. All that was left were some words, floating in the air, my granddad is making me a remote controlled airplane, he promised.

fleet.jpg

Having regained my senses and equilibrium, I realised I had been had by a 6 year old.

So another high priority project has taken over the workshop. I am quite the expert on the fin,, having undertaken some design work on the Tornado, altering a drawing to add a few more rivets. I just hope this goes better.embarrassed

Edited By Erfolg on 23/07/2013 16:07:39

Cheers, wiil -O!

No reports on it yet...but at least it doesn't seem to have brought the autoroute to a stop or gone through someone's roof - I'm sure I'd have had a knock on the door by now...smile

I haven't learnt, though - yesterday I nearly repeated it with the Easyglider - found the cloudbase a bit lower, probably about 1500ft and it suddenly disappeared, this time re-appearing a hundred yards or so to the left of where I thought it would be....smile o

You've just gotta use that free lift, though, haven't you?...teeth 2

Pete