Summer-what summer....? How much flying are you getting in?

I am rather hoping the change in weather will in the long term have a positive effect on the British Model Industry. I think the models of yesteryear were better designed for the great British weather. They were typically more robust, had thinner wing sections were less draggy, but required a bit more pilot skill. Also they tended to be smaller and more "user friendly" by which I mean access to fuel tanks, upright or sidemounted engines. Now I admit all of the above is a massive sweeping generalisation but I do think it holds true(ish).

So how can this help the British model industry? Well with companies like PB models selling classic designs like the Bullet we will hopefully see some more British "cottage" firms emerging with maybe some modern designs built for the British Climate and British grass strips. And they might not all be "kits" Already you can buy excellent designs like Sport 46 pylon racers and club 2000 built and covered. These make great all rounder fun models that can often be kept fully rigged in the car for flying in between showers. They are more expensive than Chinese ARFTs but being robustly built using simple techniques ,you can repair and fly them time and time again. Maybe some enterprising model shop will start producing its own range of ARTFs designs to cope with British conditions. There are already people advertising building services for the cash rich time poor! It might be that people will have to accept  that 4 cheap foamies for £200 ain't going to get you flying as much as 1 robust cottage built British model!

So I am enjoying this English summer and have been able to fly most days that I want to, windy or wet, sunshine or fog. If I want to go power flying I feel pretty sure my Gangster 52 with a SC 36 will cope or if its electric then my Wasp (cloud models) will provide cheap, exciting fun. And being a keen slope soarer I don't really worry much about wind speed until it gets above 70mph!

Having said all that heres a very poor picture of me flying Friday in a 15mph wind, fog and a 275gram foamie wicked fun!img_20130628_120730.jpg

Edited By Bearair on 02/07/2013 12:01:46

It would be nice to think so, but the models you dismiss as unuseable in rough weather are just those that I normally use on poor days e.g. a very light (but responsive) Seagull Extra 300

..or a foamy 3D model that sometimes flies when its companion in the photo stays sulking in his nest!

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/07/2013 12:40:57

Today i am contemplating Sunday, I have checked at what time the Wimbledon is on, for the final, with that great British tennis player. What's that, he is a  Scottish player. Are you sure? No he is very good, he must be British. Then there is F1. Ah, yes, and I have charged 5 models for tomorrow!

I have flown twice already this week, and good flying it has been. Two different locations to boot.

Unlike most other modellers this weather is a mixed blessing, you see I suffer from Hayfever. This affliction does tend to limit how long i can stay at the field.

Wednesday is club No.2, where i am continuing my quest for the "A" certificate. Now I have two models, which match IC flyers ideas of what a model should look like, I am a little more confident.

First up was the HK Firenza, a F3a model being used for a different purpose. I can report that this model takes itself of. Easier than any trike UC model. Just slowly open the throttle, a little up, to nail the tail to the ground. Then it just rises gently from the ground. Easy Peasy! The weather was good though, just a gentle 10 mph breeze. I had been unaware that I needed to undertake two consecutive loops, making appropriate use of the throttle. Now I know it is time to nail this requirement. This I found is tricker than I thought. In fact my efforts are poor at the moment. Either rather tight, or just crummy. Surprisingly the Firenza seems sensitive on the elevator. I am now thinking I will need to take some expo out. The next disappointment, my surreptitious dead stick approached landing, would have had me short. Anyway landing is another area where the Firenza excels, it just does it, itself. Finishing its landing run, in line and no more than 20 paces to retrieve it.

After the Firenza, it was time for Miss Michelle. For the first time the model swung strongly to the left, which i caught and again away we went. I have found that this model is very different looping. Now I know what I must do, I will sort out the looping and the dead stick requirement.

Then I will be ready for the "A" test.

Friday brought club No.1, the weather better than ever. I must contact the HSE or is it Local Council, all those people frying eggs on the pavement as I am sure it constitutes a hazard of some type. Though it is really nice to have some decent weather.

At the field, there were more deck chairs than at Blackpool at the annual mill wakes week.

I took 3 models, my trusty electric basic model my semi-Saggita and just repaired GWS Texan. As usual my basic model performed well. Good quality consecutive loops no issue. Inverted flight, no issue, stall turns, Immelman turns are just, well, standard. The Sagitta was another matter, not having flown for 6 months or so, I expected some issues. Firstly i was convinced that a hatch was coming off. Landing revealed no such thing. Then circling some distance away, the model suddenly plunged a good 80 feet. I cried out, going in. No amount of stick waggling did nothing. Then as suddenly as the plunge started, it was flying level and straight. Just a few minutes earlier I had been asked, why are you still using 35, when you have 2.4 set. Because i never had an issue with 35. Well I would keep away from the electric fence, some have been knocked by it. Had I, or just a massive stall?

Next up was the Texan. On retrieving the model from the car I noted that a hinge had come loose, when given a tug. Ironically back home, fixing it, by wicking some cyno in, I realised that the servo arm, was not as positive as it needed to be.

Each flying session ends with a bath for me, as the need to rid myself of pollen is paramount. Still a little suffering (from pollen) is needed to really enjoy the highs.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/07/2013 12:28:59

Edited By Erfolg on 06/07/2013 12:29:43

Hi Erfolg.
I don't understand why you're being asked to perform loops at all?
This is the A test, cut directly from the BMFA handbbok and pasted here:-
THE ‘A’ CERTIFICATE
(FIXED-WING)
The examination for an ‘A’ Certificate may be taken
on application to any Registered Club Examiner or
Chief Examiner. The candidate must successfully
carry out the following flying test and reference to
the Guidance Notes is very strongly recommended:
(a) Carry out pre-flight checks as required by the
BMFA Safety Codes.
(b) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand
circuit and overfly the take-off area.
(c) Fly a ‘figure of eight’ course with the cross-over
point in front of the pilot, height to be constant.
(d) Fly a rectangular circuit and approach with
appropriate use of the throttle and perform a landing
on the designated landing area.
If the engine stops during the landing the model
may be retrieved and the engine restarted to enable
the remaining parts of the test to be completed.
(e) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand
circuit and overfly the take-off area
(f) Fly a rectangular circuit at a constant height in
the opposite direction to the landing circuit flown in
(d).
(g) Perform a simulated deadstick landing with the
engine at idle, beginning at a safe height (approx.
200 ft) heading into wind over the take-off area, the
landing to be made in a safe manner on the
designated landing area.
(h) Remove model and equipment from takeoff/landing area.
(i) Complete post-flight checks required by the
BMFA Safety Codes.
All manoeuvres must be carried out in front of the
pilot and, depending on the wind direction, (c), (d)
and (f) may be flown as shown in the accompanying
drawing.
The above schedule is treated as one test flight and
must be completed in one attempt. Two attempts
per examination will be allowed in any one day.
You must turn up for the test with a model that is
capable of taking off on its own undercarriage or
from a dolly. However, if, in the opinion of the
Examiner, the surface of the flying area is such that
a rolling take-off would not be possible, hand
launches may be permitted.
The minimum weight of the model used for
taking the test will be 1kg (2.2 lbs).
In addition to the flying schedule, the candidate
must answer correctly a minimum of five questions
on safety matters, based on the BMFA Safety
Codes for General Flying and local flying rules.

I am a fellow hayfever sufferer Erfolg - it really is hard work going to the field just for a few hours at the moment. I am waiting for the early evening today when I hope the pollen count will drop a bit.

I am suprised about them asking you do two loops for your test, as Chris says it is not in the test schedule... but doing loops will improve your flying so perhaps that is the idea?

Posted by ken anderson. on 02/07/2013 14:47:11:

isn't it marvellous how your thread title change's itself.........by the magic of the forum...? ..

ken anderson....ne..1 ....copyright dept ....

It is indeed magic Ken, yep, sorry but that's your own fault for pre-empting the 'summer how much flying' thread I was about to start. wink 2

Take plenty to drink this weekend folks, it's a real scorcher out there.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/07/2013 13:50:33

Chris

I think I have some understanding on why.

The field that club No.2 operates out of is in many ways not ideal. Certainly several divisions lower that club No.1, which is almost perfect other than no landing strip.

The basic reasons possibly are:-

• Parallel to the flight line a screen of trees occupies the far side of the strip.
  • Behind the flight line a similar screen of trees exists, with additional no fly hazards backing onto them.
  • The landing strip both undulates and is part of a hillock, of possible 20 foot from approach line to summit.
  • One landing approach has trees some distance from the landing area.
  • The other end, is a few sparse trees a good 300m away.
  • The principal flying area is in front of this area at 90 degrees to the runway.
  • Beyond the scattered trees runs a major river (for the UK).

The number of potential hazards are such that I think it has been decided that a high degree of competence is necessary or at least desirable, as mistakes and unplanned events can be costly.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 06/07/2013 13:50:17:
Posted by ken anderson. on 02/07/2013 14:47:11:

isn't it marvellous how your thread title change's itself.........by the magic of the forum...? ..

ken anderson....ne..1 ....copyright dept ....

while the copy-write team here at anderson aviation are checking out everything is above board etc...teeth 2 ....today i have for the first time seen 30c on my car read out.......this was while were moving...not a static temp read out,

ken anderson ne..1 ........ copy write/weather dept

It is indeed magic Ken, yep, sorry but that's your own fault for pre-empting the 'summer how much flying' thread I was about to start. wink 2

Take plenty to drink this weekend folks, it's a real scorcher out there.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/07/2013 13:50:33

Posted by Erfolg on 06/07/2013 13:57:03:

Chris

I think I have some understanding on why.

The field that club No.2 operates out of is in many ways not ideal. Certainly several divisions lower that club No.1, which is almost perfect other than no landing strip.

The basic reasons possibly are:-

• Parallel to the flight line a screen of trees occupies the far side of the strip.
  • Behind the flight line a similar screen of trees exists, with additional no fly hazards backing onto them.
  • The landing strip both undulates and is part of a hillock, of possible 20 foot from approach line to summit.
  • One landing approach has trees some distance from the landing area.
  • The other end, is a few sparse trees a good 300m away.
  • The principal flying area is in front of this area at 90 degrees to the runway.
  • Beyond the scattered trees runs a major river (for the UK).

The number of potential hazards are such that I think it has been decided that a high degree of competence is necessary or at least desirable, as mistakes and unplanned events can be costly.

Am I reading this correctly?

I sincerely hope that your club examiners haven't taken it upon themselves to change the A test requirements? The A test should be a national standard and should only require the normal standards to be examined.

There's nothing wrong with a club requiring a different standard for operating at a site - BUT - if you're being examined for an A test they should do just that...

P.S. I'm Mr Grumpy today as family commitments mean I'm grounded this weekend!

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/07/2013 17:13:27

Congrats Tony. Know the feeling. Passed mine in May, and have had more flights in the last two months than previous years. No holding you back now. Was out flying the WOT4 friday and had someone maiden a Great Planes Avistar and was flying that as well. Nice plane, very smooth flyer.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 06/07/2013 17:34:37:

well i got to the field at 2pm (we can only fly 2 till 5)

to be told "you are taking your A today" eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

hsd 1 practice flight where i did everything i was supposed to do on the test.

then took it on the next flight.

guess what.

I PASSED. YAY YAY YAY.

Brilliant Tony - fantastic! beeryes Many congratulations!

We will be seeing you at Greenacres next year then?! I hope so!

BEB

I guess what is being said is that to fly at our club (No.2) unsupervised it is necessary to achieve and demonstrate a level of competence which is a little higher than the "A" test.

However on completing successfully the club test, you meet all the criteria that the BMFA "A" test requires.

If I am honest, I am not in a desperate rush. There has been issues with models that the club recognises as models. I think this will be the way for a few years with an ex totally IC club.

I think it is also a reflection on how far the BMFA are out of touch with electric flight. For example, dead stick landings are a very infrequent occurrence with electric models, not so with IC. The other issue is for all elements must be done in one flight. Easy enough with an IC model which will typically have an endurance of 20 minutes. Whereas an electric model, even now have an approx 5-10 minutes endurance, with varying power levels availability.

It does seem the bias is towards IC models, although I am not complaining.smiley

Woo hoo, sunny tomorrow. YT Spit all back together with brand new Laser 150. Seagull Zero retracts fixed. My venerable, dependable Pulse 60 all charged up. Gonna be a long day!!! Oh and I might put new rubber bands on the trainer for a full house.

Rest of the week looks good too, I must finish that H9 109.

Seriously, I was starting to lose enthusiasm for this hobby due to the weather and the lack of flying opportunities but if we do get a good week then I guess the excitement will resurface.

Erfolg, I have been told that I can change the flight battery during the A test if I need to at the mid test landing. Though to be honest a flight duration of just about 10 mins on my Wot4 foam-e should be long enough.... I hope.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 06/07/2013 21:39:06