Summer-what summer....? How much flying are you getting in?

Look what flew really low over the pits at GADMAC today....

[Sorry its a bit wobbly... didn't have a great deal of warning... heard it coming and then it appeared over the hedge while we all scrambled for cameras and phones! A good job there were no big models in the air! ]

Edited By GrahamC on 06/07/2013 21:57:27

Posted by Erfolg on 06/07/2013 21:30:35:

I guess what is being said is that to fly at our club (No.2) unsupervised it is necessary to achieve and demonstrate a level of competence which is a little higher than the "A" test.

Sorry - but if they are doing an A test it shouldn't be their own version...

However on completing successfully the club test, you meet all the criteria that the BMFA "A" test requires.

Yes - but it isn't an A test and you should be able to take one at a BMFA affiliated club! There's nothing wrong with them requiring an additional demonstration of skills above A though.

If I am honest, I am not in a desperate rush. There has been issues with models that the club recognises as models. I think this will be the way for a few years with an ex totally IC club.

All sounds rather silly! The BMFA has clearly specified what models are acceptable.

I think it is also a reflection on how far the BMFA are out of touch with electric flight. For example, dead stick landings are a very infrequent occurrence with electric models, not so with IC. The other issue is for all elements must be done in one flight. Easy enough with an IC model which will typically have an endurance of 20 minutes. Whereas an electric model, even now have an approx 5-10 minutes endurance, with varying power levels availability.

Where I come from an A test involves 2 flights! You are certainly allowed to change a flight battery

It does seem the bias is towards IC models, although I am not complaining.smiley

You're probably right on this as when it was formulated EP was very much a minority interest but as there's no distinction on the validity of an A test between IC and EP, the deadstick demo has plenty of relevence, in my opinion.

Posted by Erfolg on 06/07/2013 21:30:35:

I guess what is being said is that to fly at our club (No.2) unsupervised it is necessary to achieve and demonstrate a level of competence which is a little higher than the "A" test.

However on completing successfully the club test, you meet all the criteria that the BMFA "A" test requires.

If I am honest, I am not in a desperate rush. There has been issues with models that the club recognises as models. I think this will be the way for a few years with an ex totally IC club.

I think it is also a reflection on how far the BMFA are out of touch with electric flight. For example, dead stick landings are a very infrequent occurrence with electric models, not so with IC. The other issue is for all elements must be done in one flight. Easy enough with an IC model which will typically have an endurance of 20 minutes. Whereas an electric model, even now have an approx 5-10 minutes endurance, with varying power levels availability.

It does seem the bias is towards IC models, although I am not complaining.smiley

Funny you should say that as the only dead stick landings I have suffered since returning to this sport have been with electric models, and most of my flying is done with I.C. engines.

The short duration from electric catches me out I guess; must turn the volume up on the timer.blush My experience tells me that the BMFA "A" test for electric powered flight is just about right and well within an average electric models duration.

Edited By Greybeard on 07/07/2013 08:01:28

Summer is definitely here, I am rather concerned over a number of matters.

The first is we seem to be using up next years allocation of hot days, having used up this years day already. What with ice caps melting, glaciers having become extinct.

These were my pressing thoughts as I made my way to the field. It was 9:30 and the sun was already beating down, the air already hot. As I stepped out of the car, I realised that the air con was most appreciated.

The more pressing set of worries, is a saying of my mothers coming to mind, "the race does not always go to the fastest or the strongest", after watching yesterdays tennis. The great worry was with respect that great British tennis "Andy Murray" The other concern, was one of my fathers observations, "do not assume that cheats, even when caught will not prosper", recent events at the German GP did not bode well either.

As I prepared to go into the field, there was a loud clanking and rumbling noise. I had vaguely heard the sound before, many years ago. What was it? Rover group/Leyland had gone out of business many years back. Yet there was a plume of smoke approaching, could it be, could it be, a mini I idly thought. When a traction engine came around the corner to my relieve. I though briefly I had slid back in time, to when BMC ruled the roost.

I slapped on my factor 39, donned my hat, picked up my collapsing chair and a model and Tx box, and strode off to the field.

I was feeling a little uneasy now, I had brought a fair selection of models, I did not want some tear in the fabric of time have them all smashed into the ground, by the sprites of 27 megs, split frequency crystals, CBs. Scanning the field reassured me this was the 21st century. With reliable a nd affordable gear.

Non the less on the still air a DH2 wafted by, followed by a Sopwith Pup. Meanwhile a Solarise did a low pass.

So early, yet a good number of modellers, what would it be like by 10:00hrs?

I looked around and concluded that our club must purchase the yearly output of Parkzone, there being a P47, Corsair, Extra, Stryker and so many Radians, that you could not shake a stick at them.

As for me well I flew my Pularma (what ever it really is called.pul1.jpg

such a perfect day for it, no wind at all. I had thought it would not knive edge, oh yes it can. It seems that in stronger wind the rudder just deflects, need to stiffen with CF.

Afetr that I had to try my GWS Texan, which I stuffed in last week. How would it go, if at all. It seems that once, two clicks of aileron had it flying true. Enough that I was looping the model, as required for my "A" test, that is with appropriate use of throttle. It is however noiser and exhibits some vibration, Seem that the motor shaft has been bent slightly. So another repair in the offering.

Next up my Do 335, which started of a bit leary, with the model diving towards the ground on launch. A bit of up had it climbing, releasing the elevator had it diving. Now this model shifts, but it was soon sorted out, nothing much, I guess a bit of expansion of the plastic. Again, i practised loops. Although I believe this type of model is about, rolling, steep climbs, fast passes.

Whilst my true Sagitta awaits some recovering, I flew my modified Sagitta, that is with a nose to take a outrunner and a 2m parallel wing, as there was a limit on the span, I think a max chord. So a parallel wing did the job. Well it flew well, thermalling, and boy were there thermals, streets of them.

All the time the sun beat down without mercy, pollen caused my eyes to itch and water. In the end I had to go, 3 hrs later. Home to a pollen cleansing bath.

Oh and my grand kids. Now will Murray win? Will the cheats proposer, theses wee the final thoughts for the day.

Hi all, today flew myTom Wright designed Twinboom. We were amazed to see how well this model handled the 15mph cross winds. When landing it actually hovered on two occasions before just dropping on to the Tarmac. It has a Jedelski wing that gives lift at low speeds. Well done Tom. Cheers

Just my Cypher 3D in the garden yesterday - bit windy at the field ........

Had a few this morning though, as the sun started coming up - a deep deep orange/red. Bit of a mixed bag:

Trashed the fuselage on my Mini Ultra Stik fooling about doing inverted circuits

Broke the prop driver on my umx Sbach on landing in what is, for it, long grass. Then added insult to injury by damaging the rudder putting it into the boot.

Found another issue on the Inverza. Took off on 3/4 as normal, opened the taps to WOT and heard a horrid vibration - not hideously loud, but noticeable. Thought I'd dislodged the wire u/c from the plastic leg fairings........ nope, the cowl was loose - couldn't see a scrap of glue holding it in place. It's now sporting a jagged white ring where the foam's been attacked by a vicious whirling prop ! Wonder if I can find a matching purple paint in the plastic model shop (a shop that sells plastic models, not a model shop made of plastic !)

Best flight was with the Durafly Spit - nice long rollout and gentle take off, u/c up when she's about a foot off the ground, flaps up at about 10', loops, rolls, fast and low 'beat ups', nice curved landing approach to a perfect three pointer about 15' away, rolled gently to a stop after about 5', with the prop still free wheeling. Beautiful !

And no dog walkers !

GG

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/07/2013 19:25:54

I have just read Greybeards comment of the time for the "A" test for electric. It is the same as that for IC, I cannot see what the problem would be for a battery change, if necessary to allow the test to be completed, after all there would be one take of and landing extra. A little more demanding?

In my case the models are bigger, than I normally fly, with bigger motors and batteries. Hence potentially a bigger drain on the battery,

It is manoeuvring to to get into position for each of the elements, like the double loops, which all take there toll.

THERE ARE NO DOUBLE LOOPS IN AN A TEST!

...and for your examiner's guidance, straight from the BMFA site:

The RCAS - Fixed Wing ‘A’ 2013 Issue
Intermediate Landing
Exceptionally, at a pre-determined point in the flight an intermediate landing may be permitted for the sole purpose of either re-fuelling or the fitting of a freshly charged flight battery. This landing may only be made with the prior consent of the Examiners. The pre-determined point may be either after a specific manoeuvre or at a specific time of flight, whichever is requested by the candidate and agreed by the Examiners.

on the news today that some homes are in danger of over heating due to the super duper insulation.....and the hot weather that we are having......it was on the BBC news......earlier........also -i'm a club examiner and i was amazed at the double loops mention for an A test.......i'm afraid its news to me...

ken anderson ne..1........double loops dept.

I had thought I had explained as to perhaps why, the club "A" test is a little more demanding than the specified BMFA test. I think it is about a challenging site, i think.

I am pleased that an intermediate landing is permitted. I will suggest to the examiner if I have not completed the test when my alarm goes of, a battery charge will be permitted.

I will say that the test as specified by club No.2 does force you to concentrate on precision. To be honest, the loop practise has been beneficial, in that I no longer just power around a loop. Although I see nothing wrong in powering around, nor is ther anything wrong, in making a large loop, using the throttle to achieve a constant speed loop.

I will admit in most ways I would prefer to just fly at club No.2 when i want, without an instructor by my side. In another way, it is not bad having some one by your shoulder, who you can constructively chat with.

Anyway, I spent Sun day afternoon, with granddaughter No.2 chucking her (now officially past over) Estes glider. As I suspected German technology is better than American. The performance difference is such that No2 has demanded a Multiplex Fox, in a different colour to No1.

Now granddaughter No.1 wants a bigger glider.

I seem to being sucked into a glider race.

Posted by ken anderson. on 08/07/2013 20:12:33:

on the news today that some homes are in danger of over heating due to the super duper insulation.....and the hot weather that we are having......it was on the BBC news

I always thought a super duper insulated house was meant to keep the heat out in summer but in in winter ?

Codename-John ..... super duper dept