Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Tom, I don't think that is a good idea with a delta especially if you don't have a rudder, my experience (with my pusher delta) is that I tend to induce yaw/rotation which you can't counter. The harder you throw it the worse the effect.

IMHO better to underhand or overhand it left handed and right hand on TX with throttle hold on a switch (index finger) and thumb on the right stick. That way with the throttle hold on I give it full throttle, when ready flick the switch and then launch with a thumb already on the controls.

There are of course other ways to do it, but he above works for me!

ChrisB,

Well with 220W/kg you should be alright + if you do it left handed (as mentioned above) you can cut the throttle & save the ESC/prop if it does not climb away.

From experience I find it better to go flat/very slight up and let it pick up airspeed rather than a high angle and it drop a wing... The exception to that is my funfighter, massive left roll until I get aileron authority...then its gone! but at close to 500W/kg & a 1900KV motor on 3S what would you expect!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Posted by Chris Walby on 26/04/2017 08:54:42:

ChrisB,

Well with 220W/kg you should be alright + if you do it left handed (as mentioned above) you can cut the throttle & save the ESC/prop if it does not climb away.

From experience I find it better to go flat/very slight up and let it pick up airspeed rather than a high angle and it drop a wing... The exception to that is my funfighter, massive left roll until I get aileron authority...then its gone! but at close to 500W/kg & a 1900KV motor on 3S what would you expect!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks all.

the second launch got away from us and it pitched up to nearly vertical, so I opened the tap and pushed down expecting it to end in tears, but it went away ok.

Weathers looking good for Friday, so hopefully we'll have some more flights then.

Here's a balsa bashing project I have been working on – the Sorcerer thermal glider built from Charlie Parker plans (produced in the early eighties).

tauhara.jpg

The model is designed to fly on the dual rudders only, but performance was pretty sluggish, so I added ailerons. These work really well and make it agile enough for general park flying whilst still retaining good thermal performance.

Here's a vid of the maiden flight following the addition of ailerons.

**LINK**

Posted by Jon Laughton on 28/03/2017 08:16:35:

PB Calibre retro-aerobat - OS 75AX powered. Maidened yesterday...

The model had been in build fo over a year and uses an Acrowot cowl for now (perhaps that's sacrilege?) and I am in the process of making a canopy from blue foam and block balsa as the supplied item is far too narrow even though the model is built per the plan!

She is wonderful to fly - smooth, fast with unlimited verticals. Its a truly wonderful model to fly...I love it. Paul Bardoe himself advised on the C of G position as otherwise I would have had to put a load of lead not he tail and he was spot on at 5" from the L/E....

calibre.jpg

Looks great Jon! Look forward to seeing another pic with finished canopy and its own cowling.

Posted by KiwiKid on 27/04/2017 06:55:37:

Here's a balsa bashing project I have been working on – the Sorcerer thermal glider built from Charlie Parker plans (produced in the early eighties).

tauhara.jpg

The model is designed to fly on the dual rudders only, but performance was pretty sluggish, so I added ailerons. These work really well and make it agile enough for general park flying whilst still retaining good thermal performance.

Here's a vid of the maiden flight following the addition of ailerons.

**LINK**

I like this model, very calming to watch. Well done. KWK.

D.D.

Thanks DD, it turned out to be a bit of a challenge to build, but is certainly a pretty unique model and a relaxing model to fly. I have some models that are real toe curlers, so it's nice to have a mellow model to get the blood pressure back down. Next up is to try it on the slope.