Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

well guys just celebrated getting my digital and print subscription nerd for RCME, bye buying my daughter and myself the Durafly Tundra anniversary edition Purple and Gold 1300mm from hobbyking UK warehouse . I am going to teach my 11 year old girl to fly using this model, she can of course fly a little so I see this as a way for her to grow in confidence and to have some fun with her dad such as fpv, candy drop and maybe water take off and landings, so I am very happy.......No pictures yet but I wil get them up loaded as soon as she arrives. Thanks Richie wink 2

wot4_front_top.jpgHere is My WOT4 I started just before Christmas. Finally the maiden flight today. I have made it as practical as possible and fun. It is fully glass/epoxy built and brush painted badly by me with Dulux and Spectra. It has the Airbrake option for fun, and a powerful new Laser 80 to cope with our wet grass strip....BRRRM! I also used M3 plastic cowl bolts going into threaded steel inserts. It has 4 servos on the wing! Its going to be flown a lot by my son and I and makes a good sister ship for the Acrowot we have. White is cream coloured on the front as I have a layer of deluxe epoxy resin under the polyurethane varnish there.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 11/03/2017 21:44:57:

Well, here is a sample of what I have been up to over the last four months or so. 1:15 scale scratch built from the three view drawings. Only just finished so not flown yet. To save clogging up this thread the rest of the pics are on Martin`s Lancaster 81".martin`s lancaster 81 001.jpg

That's a beauty Martin yes

First outing this year, 5th January I had an attack of dumb-thumbs and managed to destroy my go-to model, a HK Soar 40

Before:

HK Soar 40

After:

dsc00584_s.jpg

After I'd removed all salvagable parts, the remainder went into the dustbin.

I had a trawl round the internet for a replacement but didn't really fancy any of the candidates, except the Kyosho Calmato, which is identical to the Soar 40, but quite pricy at £125!

So, the remains were extracted from the bin and thoroughly inspected and measured. I also extracted a wing rib to ensure the correct aerofoil.

From the measurements I drew up a set of plans and set about building a replica, 'Son of Soar'!

dsc00585_s.jpg

An order to SLEC and a fews weeks later, 'Son of Soar' is ready to fly. I made a few design changes to suit the available materials, e.g. a balsa turtle deck rather than the balsa covered foam of the original and solid balsa sides rather than laser-cut ply, but, the replica feels no heavier than the original and is definitely stronger!

Curiously, if anything, it's slightly nose heavy, even with the receiver battery right at the back of the canopy, whereas in the original the battery was under the fuel tank, just behind the firewall.

All we need now is a bit of decent weather and we'll see how it flies.

dsc00578_s.jpg

dsc00583_s.jpg

Incidentally, I did intend to make a clear canopy from a 2 litre Cola bottle, but it wasn't big enough! I even had my pilot ready for action, but I hadn't realised how big the canopy is. Had I known I'd have made it a little smaller.surprise

Also, the motor is now an ASP 46, the ASP61FS I first used is now powering a Super Cub.

Cheers GDB