Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Hi All,

I maidened these two this afternoon. These two aircraft date back to the 1990's but I have given them today's electrics.

dsc09509.jpg

TN Wellington 60" span, flew but only just

dsc09520.jpg

Easi-Built 54" span Catalina, colour scheme straight from the Airfix kit.

Both aircraft have the same power set ups being brushless outrunners and Lipo batteries. the Wellington today had 7x4 props which were not good enough, due to a little mishap two weeks ago I broke a prop attempting to take off so I put the 7x4's she was under powered and barely took off. The Catalina uses 8x4 props cut down to 7 3/4" and that made all the difference both aircraft weight around the 3lb mark.

The Catalina was Ok to fly but will be better next time when I adjust the elevator.

Regards

Robert

Advert

Posted by Richard Wood on 14/03/2017 10:25:01:
Posted by Tony Bennett on 11/03/2017 21:55:43:

the two that i maiden'd today.

Tony B

Very smart Tonythumbs up.
What's the one on the left?
Cheers.

Edited By Richard Wood on 14/03/2017 10:26:38

Both own design Depron jobies.

1m span and 1m long

400watt motors running on 3s lipo's.

get 8 mins flight from a 2200mah battery.

Tony B

My latest assembly job, a HK WACO SRE.

wp_20170315_14_16_12_pro.jpg

wp_20170315_14_18_56_pro.jpg

I have beefed up the UC mounting, as there are some postings where a less than good landing has caused the UC mounting box to punch up through the body. There is an irony in that laser cut material has been removed from where I have re-enforced.

My other problems is the lack of detail in how to assemble quite a few things, and it not being that obvious to me what is intended. In short the assembly leaflets, which are down loads are pants.

Another problem is that the mounting box for the electric motor had left side thrust. As I find that models often swing left on take off, I decided to pack the motor mounting, to provide a small amount of right thrust. There is no apparent down or up thrust. I check the thrust line with a brass tube, normally sold for wing dowels, slid onto the motor shaft. I then eye ball the tube, if necessary I find that i can set the model level on the "x" then "y" axis, using a spirit level, thereafter use a spirit level on the tube to determine what the thrust line is. I have used simple trig to work out anything beyond coincident axis. Although the angles are so small, I always have my doubts on accuracy. If I really wanted to know i would use the Tan small angle approximation method. Although I decided this was over the top.

More worrying, I have quite a few bits of misc. items left over. Some clevises i dare not use. Another major problem is that the push/pull wire to the elevator is over 6" unsupported overhang. I have done what I can to prevent crippling, although I have not as present anywhere to attach the additional outer to the rear end of the body. This area again having been lightened to an inch of its life.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/03/2017 14:48:01

PB Calibre retro-aerobat - OS 75AX powered. Maidened yesterday...

The model had been in build fo over a year and uses an Acrowot cowl for now (perhaps that's sacrilege?) and I am in the process of making a canopy from blue foam and block balsa as the supplied item is far too narrow even though the model is built per the plan!

She is wonderful to fly - smooth, fast with unlimited verticals. Its a truly wonderful model to fly...I love it. Paul Bardoe himself advised on the C of G position as otherwise I would have had to put a load of lead not he tail and he was spot on at 5" from the L/E....

calibre.jpg

Another winter build... a "Retro" visit to the first R/C model I ever built and flew! Jolly Roger Imp (Rojair) ... Managed to source a WWW version of the plan, the motor is the original OS 15 R/C... some forty years and it started instantly.. once I'd unblocked the pressure nipple on the silencer ! ... brought back memories, flies nicely on 3 channels... img_3807.jpg

Edited By Paul Blakeborough on 28/03/2017 12:49:50

img_2101.jpgGentle lady finished about a month ago waiting for suitable weather to maiden.

No excuses this weekend just gone. 14 degrees and 7 mph wind.

Hand launched by a fellow member on 3/4 throttle saw it climbing away nearly vertically so shed loads of down dialled in. I could immediately see why this is such a popular model. A doddle to fly and with modern equipment giving an AUW of 30 ounces it was easy to stooge around for ten minutes getting the feel of it.

Will need to add a fair amount of downthrust on the motor for next time out. In the meantime I trimmed it for optimum glide chucked it in the air again and floated around for a full 24 minutes before landing with stilll 45 percent in the lipo.(2200mah 3s) it doesn't really need such a large battery and originally I had intended to place it forward of the wing but c of g considerations forced me to make room under the wing.

For anyone temped the plan is available on Outerzone and here are the technical details.

Motor : Turnigy park 450 890kv

Propeller : 10x 6. Hobbyking folding

Receiver : Orange r410x

Servos : Towerpro mg90d

Esc : Hobbyking 20amp ubec

Covering : Hobbyking film

img_0565.jpg

img_0566.jpg

This model (Dynam Waco) has been around for a few years now, but I just picked one up from Banggood for around 140 quid delivered PNP. Just changed out the ESC for my old favourite HK Plush 60. She's got a 3000 4S Graphene lipo in the tank which hits the cg sweat spot nicely.

waco4.jpg

waco2.jpg

Here's a short hat cam vid of the maiden a few days ago - just cruisin' around getting a feel for her - landings are a work in progress LOL.

**LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 03/04/2017 22:45:12

it flies! Black Horse Percival P56 Provost, Laser 100, FrSky radio and miscellaneous servos.

bh_p56_provost_1.jpg

It needed a lot of right aileron trim despite having a few degrees of sidethrust built in, but not even a single click of elevator trimsmiley. The only fly in the ointment was a heavy landing - my fault for coming in too slow but I'm going to blame it on the wind strength. Both U/C legs bent the pins holding the oleos to the mounting plates in the wings. Could have been worse sad

That's something that I'll check again bill, though it wasn't screwing out of loops.

when I stripped off the U/C fairings it turned out that both oleo legs had bent backwards and inwards - the thin steel tube used had turned into bananas!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/04/2017 10:33:04

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 04/04/2017 17:00:51:

it flies! Black Horse Percival P56 Provost, Laser 100, FrSky radio and miscellaneous servos.

bh_p56_provost_1.jpg

It needed a lot of right aileron trim despite having a few degrees of sidethrust built in, but not even a single click of elevator trimsmiley. The only fly in the ointment was a heavy landing - my fault for coming in too slow but I'm going to blame it on the wind strength. Both U/C legs bent the pins holding the oleos to the mounting plates in the wings. Could have been worse sad

Cracking model Bob, I still covet that King Altair in your hangar.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 05/04/2017 14:08:13:
Posted by bouncebounce crunch on 05/04/2017 11:03:54

Cracking model Bob, I still covet that King Altair in your hangar.

Wanna buy it? I really, really need to have a clearout.

I would jump on that like a woman on a handbag and extra pair of shoes deal. Now Australia post would be getting pricey. I would love to take the Altair model home if i was nearby. Hope you get a good sale nearby, it cost me $3.50 Oz to post weighted mail of 50 grams a distance of 35 kilometres today.

Genuine thanks for the offer, and i am genuine about the joy of owning her.

bbc