Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Thank you for all your kind comments, here's some detailed pictures.

The model hasn't been weighed as yet because i have to check the CofG. but it'll definitely be over 20kg. It's colour scheme is based on a real example registered in the states. The model has the nose shortened to true scale length (the kit is lengthened) It has four ailerons, and up-rated rigging points, undercarriage and tailwheel. Fully rib taped and scale spaced rib stitching. But it'll never be finished, you can always find more details to add! smiley

Edited By Kevin Wesley on 28/04/2017 23:03:20

Apart from the pic with the pilot, which is great by the way, I would not have guessed this was a model.

The level of detail and "real feel" is astonishing. It's just got full size written all over it from the finish to the fire extinguisher.

Marvelous craftsmanship... One of the best I've ever seen.

Posted by cymaz on 29/04/2017 08:41:33:

If it's over 20kg I will look at the LMA web site to see if it's registered and for more info.

I reckon it'll be about 45-50lbs, probably more like 50lbs. There nothing to say that Kevin hasn't registered the model with the LMA and had it inspected throughout its construction. Its not something that's been done overnight that's for sure.

I'm led to believe that a model that ends up being over 20kg and hasn't been registered can be inspected retrospectively but it may required some invasive surgery to inspect the critical areas.

Hi, Its not the first large scale model i have built. Its registered with the LMA of which i have been a long term member thanks. chrisB i expect you are about spot on with the weight smiley Once again thank you for all your nice comments. Its so rewarding when other model buider's appreciate the work involved

Edited By Kevin Wesley on 29/04/2017 19:01:38

Finally,,,,,,, my A4 maidened this evening. Not ideal conditions, but four clicks of right and slightly forward c of g. She's a rapid ship, but seemed quite stable , even in marginal conditions.

Landed out, due to flying through the available lift has resulted in a broken probe and snapped wingbolt.

Apart from that, I'm happy. I did amend the mass build plan to produce the two seater, and it has worked. I've learnt so much on this journey, that I will strive to improve my next one!

flyers a4 shyhawk.jpg

Well spotted Geoff. There's a group of us who have joined the local cricket club as non-playing members. This allows access to a perfectly manicured flying field and the club house every day of the week. We can even fly on weekends during the cricket season, as matches never start before 1.00pm.

Posted by Kevin Wesley on 30/04/2017 11:27:24:
Posted by ChrisB on 29/04/2017 21:30:55:

Hi Kevin, did you fancy putting a Moki 15o up front?

Hi chrisB, Yeah it would have been great to, but unfortunately funds wouldn't quite stretch to one frown

I suspected that could be the case. I know Richard Rawle and Steve Holland began using MOKI radials but soon changed to twins because the power was better than the moki and the performance was better.

Cheers

Posted by ChrisB on 30/04/2017 13:47:43:
Posted by Kevin Wesley on 30/04/2017 11:27:24:
Posted by ChrisB on 29/04/2017 21:30:55:

Hi Kevin, did you fancy putting a Moki 15o up front?

Hi chrisB, Yeah it would have been great to, but unfortunately funds wouldn't quite stretch to one frown

I suspected that could be the case. I know Richard Rawle and Steve Holland began using MOKI radials but soon changed to twins because the power was better than the moki and the performance was better.

Cheers

Yeah i believe they also had some reliability issues and dead stick landings. These big bipes don't glide well ! surprise