Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Half a dozen of us are re-creating Terry Anderson's Aerobatic Rocket, as published in RCM&E Sept 1986. It now qualifies for Classic Aerobatics. The design is slightly modified for 4-strokes, as we are not allowed glow 2-strokes at the Greenmires site. The ugly guy in the picture is Terry, the original designer of the Rocket.
OS95 fs engine, Spektrum radio, Hitec servos, film covered.
Did not fly today as needs a replacement thrust washer - and it was very, very cold. Flew the Extra 260 and Venom instead.

Steve

20190130-1.jpg20190130-3.jpg20190130-2.jpg

Hi Stephen

Your Sonata looks really nice. Congratulations! I am building an E version but the build has got stalled while I sort out a couple of RC yachts for the summer. Actually it mainly just need covering and I am a big fan of the fluorescent green as well.

Good to see the air brakes or spoilers. I would be really interested to know how you organized the servo linkage and what sort of travel you get? Also what the all up weight is. I am expecting mine to be heavier because of the motor, prop and larger battery but it is a big wing and should cope.

Levanter

Levanter, thanks for the compliment - good luck with your E-version!

The brakes were a real faff to fit, so much so I almost gave up on them! I tried a variety of linkage set-ups but the amount of space in the wing didn't leave enough room for this type of mechanism. In the end I just lengthened the micro servo arms with a cam shaped piece of ply which simply raises the brake to near vertical. I control the amount of travel through the radio, each one on a seperate channel (one had to be reversed so precluded the use of a Y lead), and closure is achieved by gravity/air pressure/tiny magnet.

All up weight of the model is currently 24ozs which is bang on the plan spec, it needs a touch of weight in the nose to balance which I will achieve with a bigger/heavier battery so I'm hoping it will come in at approx. 25ozs which should make it a real floater with a wing loading of 8ozs sq. ft. or so.

"Nice looking Rocket Steve, where did you get the foam wings and tail cut ? Found the plan on UK CAA site and have a ASP 91 FS that might suit.

Paul."

Bill's Kits does the foam wing and tail, and also the canopy. A good supplier!

Tip - move the firewall back by 3/4" for the ASP 91, to keep the balance right with the longer/heavier motor. It should fly like a rocket!!

Steve.

Not so much a new build as a rebuild. It's a Cambrian Pioneer from the 70s. Originally built for an OS19 it has now been electrified. The first flight after electrification showed that the fuselage glue had not aged well, so a new fuselage has been built over the winter. The wings were fine and simply recovered in Solartex.

Need to find a bigger pilot I think!

image.jpeg

I work at JCB, and seen one fly before. I had the intention years ago of doing one in JCB - just seems the right scheme for it, so quit my job as an electrician and got a job there.smile p

it will go like a rocket, that's why I'm using titanium digital coreless servos, a dual battery system and powerbox dual regulator. Servos were almost a £100 each , so there is £500 of servos in this model alone! ( you can't beat 18kg torque and 0.06 seconds transit time!!!)

Bit crazy..

Edited By Paul Marsh on 02/02/2019 12:48:11

Second hand Flair Fokker D7 bought with a Laser 80 which I removed for another project and replaced with an old OS 70FS with new bearings.

fokker 1.jpg

fokker 2.jpg

...and an RX battery meter so Hans knows if there's enough charge to risk another flight -

fokker 3.jpg

Engine running fine in the garden this afternoon, C of G right, failsafe checked, waiting for the right weather.

Hi All,

Just like to share with you my latest model a DB Bistormer 72" fitted with an Irvine 53 and weighing in at 7 3/4 lbs.

Covered in easycoat 2nd's red and white and HK for the blue. Decals from Callie Graphics and a couple of homemade. I was inspired by the colour scheme of the pitts special.

A couple of changes from the plans, steerable tail wheel, canopy, after all it is winter and I also fitted four ailerons there was no mention on the plans that specified top wing only or bottom wing, servos mounted in the lower wing. I have halved the throws on low rates and as the instructions stated on high rates.

pitts special.jpg

pitts special4.jpg

My inspiration

dsc05679.jpg

dsc05680.jpg

dsc05683.jpg

dsc05684.jpg

Homemade canopy using the pop bottle techbique used two 3ltr bottles as I could not get it to form right

dsc05686.jpg

dsc05687.jpg

Just the canopy to fix and CoG and wait for the weather

Hope she flies as good as she looks

Regards

Robert

Bought this a couple of weeks ago, amazing bit of foam engineering by FMS, the build quality and finish are superb and the way it just clips together is very clever. Whilst a 5000 6s is the recommended battery, I fly it on a 4000 6s to reduce the overall weight. It flies really well and as you would expect is quite aerobatic. Hand launches are possible but much easier if someone else does it hence why I built a launch dolly with retracting LE clamps, retracting TE ramps and a steerable tail wheel. The dolly has its own Rx but is on the same ID as the Fox so is controllable from the Fox settings on the Tx but I did have to use the SBus so that I could give the dolly clamp servos different IDs (channel 10 and 11).

7dee1f6a-3e78-45f2-9eb0-bfec887a6250.jpeg

f21ed9c6-fea5-4571-824e-b283ecf4a6fc.jpeg

fbbbe41f-8734-4ffb-8825-b5743f754e3b.jpeg

Edited By Ron Gray on 16/02/2019 18:20:13

Edited By Ron Gray on 16/02/2019 18:23:01