Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

It flew ok, but there are a few issues I have to resolve, like the C of G. It needed 20 grams extra up front to get it to fly comfortably, which is a lot for an airplane of a mere 220 grams. The other thing is motor power. It was just enough in todays conditions ( 4-5 m/s wind), could do with a bit more.

Mind you, the current motor is a very small drone motor of 18 mm diameter, so replacing that with a bigger one could solve both issues. On hindsight I should have used carbon tubes rather than the 5 mm beech dowel for the tail booms, lighter and better twist resistance. That is why I added the connecting bamboo skewer between the fins, it would have just been too floppy without. The skewer firms it up considerably.

Pitch and yaw are controlled with the red tail surfaces, oriented as an inverted V. No roll control.

Span is 670 mm.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 17/02/2019 15:45:44

Nice BiFly!

That 35 Pro should be bags of power.

If I may, couple of words of advice - keep it moving on landing, and check out the stall nice and early - at height.

I find best approach is 30% power and gentle dive, it is good and draggy with all that stuff sticking out and the thick wing section, so as soon as you chop throttle on the threshold, it will slow up pretty quick.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 24/02/2019 18:18:58:

What can you get for £10? Apparently, I bought this trainer for £1, a £5 Hitec 2.4rx and battery for total of £10! Flew it today, the engine ran perfectly, as it's probably not ran for years - a mk1 SC40 2 stroke.

usaircore40 (3).jpg

Why am I not surprised, Paul? You could have bought something from me this morning. As you say it was a lovely day and as we only live about 5 miles from the swapmeet venue and we were home before noon I opted to go for a shortish bike ride and covered 30 miles. I can't believe I was wearing track mitts rather than gloves in February.

Just charging my batteries for flying tomorrow. It's tough being retired!

Geoff

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/02/2019 20:27:57:

Hi Tony, hopefully it will be sometime.

Tim, it uses a PO-3535-870 motor turning a 13X6 via a 30 amp ESC and a 3 cell battery.

Weight about 3 lbs. Span 57" area 541 sq. in.

You're learning, Peter

Interesting that I had a few 2 stroke engines to sell at a swapmeet this morning but everyone searching through them was looking for 4 strokes which IIRC are you first love.

A very interesting and unusual looking subject. A nice size and very light with it even though it doesn't score very highly for beauty (and that's not adverse criticism btw)

Geoff