Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Saved from the garbage bin some years ago, it is the control line Bravo model, the last of the type produced by the Spanish firm Modelhob during early 90s. The original kit box contained the sheet balsa model together with adhesive decal sheets, glue, a Cipolla 1,5 glow engine, control cables and handle, a small fuel bottle and even a dry cell for glow power. I found it in the garbage bind of the manufacturer when they gave up model kit production some 4-5 years ago. This Bravo model was broken and needed a new elevator as well as an engine plus flying accessories. After restoration, the model was successfully maidened this last June in a C/L meeting in Madrid (Spain).pict0129.jpg

pict0121.jpg

Edited By Jesus Cardin on 12/01/2020 15:11:13

With the arrival of the first spell of fine weather for what seems like months, ii went down to the field this morning with a couple of models that had patiently been waiting for their maiden flights. Surprisingly, I was the only person there, so no in-flight shots.

The first was a Wot 4 foamie "clone" that was created from a cracked wing and motor cowl "jigsaw puzzle" donated by a fellow modeller. The fuselage and fin/tailplane were my first attempt at building with Depron, and went easier than anticipated. As you have probably guessed already, it flies just like a Wot4.

image.jpeg

The second maiden was my "Messerschmitt Me901 Ente". This is an own design canard that uses Nigel Hawes' Candoo as inspiration. The "Ente" is about 50% larger than the Candoo and weighs just over 4lbs. And is therefore fitted with tricycle landing gear. It ihas nose wheel steering, a centrally mounted aileron servo, and a pair of elevator servos, so flying requires the 'bank and yank' approach. For the first flight there was no mixing used, but I will probably change the forward surfaces to elevons in due course. Power ones from a cheap HK donkey out runner, a 4S 2200 lipo and 3 bladed 9x6 prop ( to ensure sufficient ground clearance).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A series of fast taxy tests just before Christmas showed that directional stability was marginal, and uncommanded pitch up suggested the CG was too far aft. Before the first actual flight, I fitted a third, centre line fin and moved the battery much further forward. The CG is now 4.5 " in front of the main plane LE ( just in line with the number 8).

The actual first flight was a lot less exciting than I anticipated, but it didn't prevent the knees from knocking for the first few minutes. Pitch and roll trim were perfect and the only change I made during the flight was to increase the aileron rates from the conservative setting used at take-off. The first approach was rock steady but a little high. I could probably managed to land, but chose the sensible option and powered up for a second circuit . The second approach was much like the first but I reduced power to zero as the plane came over the fence. This produced a nice flat descent that was arrested with touch of up elevator and smidgen of power resulting in a short roll out on the soggy field.

Hot on the heels of Trevor's canard is my take on the Can Doo although I went more for the drone/missile look at this stage. The pilot can be added to the top battery hatch at a later stage.

My better half practiced her covering skills in readiness for covering her Ohmen although I did point out curves are a magnitude harder than flat surfaces, she seem more adept than me.

Made from bits lying around and things from the naughty corner, it was an easy build.

20200119_104837.jpg

Maiden was lively, but once I stopped over controlling it and trimmed the excessive up elevator out it was quite pleasant.

Second and third flight had me dialled in with rolls, loops (very nice!) and slow low passes easy to do.

Do's and don'ts

• Don't hand launch very nose up
  • Do loops with plenty of power through the top....or it will fall out blush
  • Hand launch under arm near horizontal and it doesn't tend to roll
  • Very slow and you run out of elevator, but easily recovered with throttle
  • Fly inverted..hardly any drop out or corrective action required

Overall a nice in the back or the car anytime model running on 3S2200.

PS should confuse the Scouts for a bit while they work out which direction it should be flying

Edited By Chris Walby on 19/01/2020 14:20:45

Although not purely "new" (it was built by my uncle Pepe Cardin during 2010-2011), I have been tasked lately to overhaul, repair some damages and test fly this Berkley Custom Privateer, also known as McGovern´s Monster.

Model is entirely built in wood and covered with white and orange silk. Power is from an AXI brushless outrunner motor and a 6S 5.000mAh Li-Po battery. RC equipment is all Futaba with control from a Fasst T7C. It has no more than 30-35 flights although it has never been flown from water yet.

img_7712.jpg

img_7713.jpg

Maidened this Ripmax EasyStreet 2 yesterday - 3S power train: what a lovely flyer - only needed a few clicks of right aileron and two of up elevator...then smooth steady aeros and plenty of oomph! I normally fly IC but our patch has been churned up by motorbikes so this is an ideal model to get a flying 'fix' over the winter months

EasyStreet 2

For me, Yet another Scale Heli build but this time finally finishing a fuselage which I bought back in 1985.

This is one is a Bell 222 UT (Utility) as owned by Halo Aviation in South Africa and operated by Buthelezi EMS in the air ambulance role.

First pic is the model, not a lot left to do now, final fittings etc so not too far away from maiden. The 2nd pic is the real thing

img_20200115_144053.jpg

250187_big.jpg

Mark

Hi All,

I just finished my Veron Avro 504N powered by an OS 40FS surpass I modified the wings to take ailerons and reduced the dihedral by half. She tips the scales at just over 6lbs

dsc07880.jpg

dsc07881.jpg

The roundels are the original ones from the kit and are about 40 years old, the serial numbers and band are from pyramid models, the position of pilot is on going, trying to find a decent one.

dsc07877.jpg

The dummy engine was part of the kit.

Have to wait a bit for some decent weather for the maiden

Regards

Robert