Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

This one is by no means a new model, but it is new to me. It's a SIG Rascal 110" which I purchased towards the end of last year with the intention fo fitting a petrol 4 stroke. In the end I decided to electrify it just to see how easy it was and to see what sort of performance could be had. The conversion was not straight forward, the Rascal came with a 26cc 2 stroke petrol engine in it and after removal it was obvious that glow engines had powered it sometime over its 10 years (my guess as to its age) as the balsa and ply in the nose area had become a bit on the soft side. Anyway I built a new ply engine box on which to mount the Turnigy G160 (290 Kv) motor and then set about the battery mounting which had to make changing the 2 x 5s 5000 batteries easy. This has proven to be the biggest challenge, the manual suggests that if battery powered then the batteries can be changed by making the side windows removable. Great, they are not that big plus the wing and wing struts tend to get in the way and trying to connect up wiring inside the fuse, through the windows??? In the end I made up a sliding (3d printed) battery tray which sits at an angle of about 30 degrees allowing the batteries to be slid down into the fuse. I then made a hinged hatch on the underside, just behind the bulkhead so that I can reach in and connect the wires.Not ideal but it got me out flying (I plane to revisit the arrangement and probably will end up with a removable top half of nose / cockpit). Anyway, to the flight, tbh it was so much better than I had hoped for, plenty of power and on the 10s 5000 arrangement I can get an easy 15 minutes flying time which includes some nice big aeros. Next up is a complete re-covering as it really does need it. Chuffed to bits with it if the truth be told.

Anyway, here is a shot of it flying

sig-rascal in flight.jpg

Edited By Ron Gray on 20/03/2020 13:55:03

Well I've done all the gardening jobs so time to think about some aeromodelling!

I bought this Chris Foss Xtra Wot kit from SMC in 2014, built it quite quickly but then became stuck looking for fuelproof paint. I had tested two-pack paint that had been mixed in the wrong proportions (not fuel proof), mixed in the correct proportions it is totally fuel proof.

It is my second Xtra Wot, the first was lost to radio failure. I used the optional two seat conversion (hand delivered by Chris to me at the Nationals), spats from Carbon Copy (Chris was out of stock). It uses one standard servo for each elevator half, driving piano wire in a snake. Engine is a new but poorly stored OS120AX, I had to change both rusty crank bearings before running in. The model weighs around 12 lb and is glassed all over.

First flew on 2 December last year, had a radio glitch on my JR DSM2 kit so have swapped to Jeti (usually reserved for my competition gliders). Not flown yet with Jeti.

Looking forward to getting it airborne again, they are great flyers, a big pussy cat. The round discs on the engine mount are removable trim weights (penny washers), it is slightly nose heavy at the moment.

20150305_204509843_ios.jpg

20170930_153710941_ios.jpg

img_2251.jpg

pa312501.jpg

pa312507.jpg

Here is the result of a completely different type of build to my normal models, a 3Dlabprint Stearman. It is fully 3D printed, even the flexible rubber tyres and the coils in the main undercarriage legs. I bought a 3D printer late last year to make some parts for the TN Vulcan I am building. I then found out about the 3Dlabprint models and thought I would try one. It took a bit to get some of the settings dialed in for the special type of printing used in these models with many trials runs before choosing the best ones. It took about 150 hours to print and assembly was pretty much straightforward. There is no painting on this, the model was printed with yellow, blue, black and grey coloured filaments. The radial engine is all printed and looks rather good in my opinion, although it is stretching a cheap basic hobby 3D printer to its limits to print the cylinders. Looking forward to the maiden. Part way through the print I was sorting through my pile of old RCM&Es and found an article on this model from July 2018 that I had forgotten all about, although the RCM&E review was of a set of parts printed by a commercial outfit.

dsc08823 (custom).jpg

dsc08826 (custom).jpg

dsc08828 (custom).jpg

dsc08743 (custom).jpg

Posted by Peter Miller on 27/03/2020 18:10:45:

The engine is impresive.

I wonder if I can persuade my Dremel 3D printer to make one of those

There are a few radial engine models on Thingiverse of varying complexity

9 cylinder radial engine

Dummy 9 cylinder radial front half

3Dlabprint do not sell the files for the Stearman engine seperately, but they have some larger ones for B-25 and Corsair, page through their shop.

3D LabPrint shop