Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Got my DB Tiger Moth maidened today in not ideal conditions but light wind and not actually raining. As someone commented it was the best day for 7 weeks!

db acdc 1.jpg

db acdc 2.jpg

db acdc 3.jpg

db acdc 4.jpg

As you can see it was pretty wet and the visibility was poor. All up weight is 3.14kg with a 4S 4000 mAh LiPo installed. 50% battery left after a total of 6 minutes in the air (I started landing preparations after 5 minutes). EMax GT3526/04 motor with a 13x4 prop. Cruise current about 20 amps and max recorded during the flight about 50.

Geoff

Your bit's in the last view, just about where the G-ACDC lettering is. There's one coat of B&Q Valspar acrylic brush painted on the fuselage. I got it mixed to match the cowl which was already sprayed when I got it. It looks better in the photos than in actuality. It looks OK but it won't survive a critical close inspection.

I have no idea what the fuselage is covered with. The colour matches exactly the Solartex piece you so generously sent me but yours is almost transparent compared to the original. That's one reason I opted to give it a coat of Valspar. It's not finished yet. I have a bit more rib stitching to do on the top wing before I fit the numbers and the cowl has a hole in it which needs patching. I'll spray the cowl and the battery lid hinge then. I've also got to fit the struts to the tail plane which the full size has but not the model kit.

Geoff

My recently completed DB Tiger Moth E. I started this in 2012, this build was interrupted by a house move where I dropped it and damaged it. I I had little enthusiasm for repairing something I had never flown, however finished now and ready for maiden, if there is ever some decent weather. Its electric with 300 watts on 3S.

I know its not very detailed, and its shiny (Oracover) and the yellow isn' t the correct shade etc. but good enough for me.

There is one point I would like some help with, I've lost the instructions and I don't know what the control throws should be, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

img_20160105_094950262.jpg

Your Bubble Dancer seems exquisite.

I have seen one bubble Dancer and a number of Avias, not being critical, many have used large amounts of CF in the wings as capping strips and "D" boxes.

Perhaps the other slight difference your pod does seem a little larger. I had thought looking at commercial models, that for a model designed for very light conditions, the extreme minimisation is not of any great aerodynamic value, and given the problems always are about being tail heavy, there is no weight saving benefit.

Unfortunately all the competition fliers seem to have abandoned our club, as i did enjoy watching them, and the obvious ability to fly out the slot, in good conditions.

In fact it was Avia fliers who awakened me to telemetry and that current draw did not drop very much on launch, as well as all the other data being collected, analysed. Very educational to me.

Again, brilliant model, I am sure you will be well rewarded for all your efforts with hours, or is that days of gliding.

Thanks Erfolg

The build was fun and the Carbon spar was complex.. I haven't flown it yet. The pod - as you can see is home made from lite ply rather than a G/F moulded thingie. It dimensions are as per plan except squarish rather than roundish if that makes sense

Its a bit porky by the way - about 8oz over design weight - most weight gained in the D boxes due to lack of availability of suitable wood. Not too worried, its not designed to be a floater anyway. I need to build an F3B style winch next

Plans are available from here if anyone wants to take a close look

Bubble Dancer

For once I did a build blog on the BARCS web site - if I am allowed to say that here.. blush

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I've looked at the building thread on the BARCS, and I really love the way in which you combined wood and C/F to make a solid but light structure. Also, I'm impress with the process for building the stab support and the control horn in C/F.

I've seen that you've used silver mylar for the tail surface. I've never used this material, do you mind describing briefly how to apply it, glue required, etc...? Also, is this the type of mylar that you used?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiencewink

Thank you for the kind words

The Mylar I use is 5 Micron Aluminised film from www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk and is a pain to use. Its nothing like normal aeromodelling film. It arrives creased and gets worse before it gets better. It show every blemish - including grain - on the surface.

It was 'discovered' by the famous free flighter John O'Donnell (late 1960's) and was originally used as sweet wrapping material.

To apply is very simple, I use thinned Evo Stick Impact Adhesive (Solvent based), simply brushed on and then before it dries, lay the surface onto the film (over a few sheets of newspaper for padding) - Not the film on the surface. Then working quickly stretch out all the creases before the glue dries.

Let the glue dry and then shrink with your favourite hot air gun or run an iron over it - very gently.

Unlike most films, it will continue shrinking with more and more heat. Need to be careful though as the aluminium detaches quite easily.

as you can see here.

You cant overlap the stuff very easily. I tend to trim back using a scalpel.

I wish I had used the next thickness up (10 Micron) - however the film and glue only added 1.2g to the tailplane and 0.9g to the fin

Martyn

Ah! Must pay attentionembarrassed. I had recognised that yours is a winch version, all the ones I have seen have been electric powered, generally driving massive props. Even before the 200m cut off, these models at what appeared to be a lethargic climb out, would be a dot in the sky, a long way up wind, or wherever they wanted to be in 30s.

We only seem to see F3bs at our club at present, using power winches, where in my case the line tension is so hgh, that staying upright, where you are is a problem.

However a number of these are now flying as electric power as I understand F3b(e).

Back to the BD/Avia, I think that all the ones I have been commercially built, or built by those who were CF masters, so all had GF pods.

What does interest me is that the Lipo used are incredibly low capacity, using a very small amount of energy to get to 200m

I also look forward to reading more about the build and the flying experiences.

Posted by edgar on 05/01/2016 11:13:58:

My recently completed DB Tiger Moth E. I started this in 2012, this build was interrupted by a house move where I dropped it and damaged it. I I had little enthusiasm for repairing something I had never flown, however finished now and ready for maiden, if there is ever some decent weather. Its electric with 300 watts on 3S.

I know its not very detailed, and its shiny (Oracover) and the yellow isn' t the correct shade etc. but good enough for me.

There is one point I would like some help with, I've lost the instructions and I don't know what the control throws should be, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

img_20160105_094950262.jpg

If you don't get an answer Edgar, start a thread of your own with the question, bound to be some one who knows wink

John

Posted by AVC on 06/01/2016 16:47:37:

Martyn, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, this covering sounds like a "high skill" stuff, I may buy something to play around and see how it works, although it sounds quite difficult to use.

Its not that difficult. Like any new material you need to learn how to use it. If you want a very light reflective film it has a lot going for it. Because its so thin, it doesn't add a lot of torsional stiffness so the underlying structure needs to be reasonably stiff. Its great when you need to keep the weight down.

I first used it about 30 years ago on free flight competition models. Get the prep done first and it will be OK. Its not expensive. Mike Woodhouse sells a little How-To guide for Mylar that is probably worth investing in.

Martyn