DB Sport And Scale - Cirrus Moth

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Highly recommended model to build.
Not as easy to fly as the modern plastic planes; but that's half the fun.
And not an easy build for a complete beginner; but again, that's (more than) half the fun. It's not actually difficult; just that a little experience, and confidence, is needed.
It's a bit like having two hobbies; 1 - building, and 2 - flying.

If anybody is considering buying a kit to build; - go for it.
The pride you feel when you fly something you've built yourself, and invested so many hours into, is fantastic.
I'm building a 3.4m glider now (bit ambitious for a 2nd build I know). When i've finished that I'll go back to DB and see what's next.

• 6 months later...

Well done,Ive been looking for a biplane for quite a while, and probably have got some one to help me build it, but would want to go electric. Ive noticed on the dB s&S site that the ppo 3548 is the recommend electric motor. I wondered what battery it would need and what size prop. I have started a flair fokker dvii, but having quite a few problems with it.

Peter

Hi Peter - good choice of build - I did the DB Tiger Moth 58" which is a similar build/type/weight - the thread can be found here . I used the following with a 13x8E prop.
Motor Emax BL4020/08
Lipo - Turnigy 5S 3600
ESC - Hobbywing 60 amp
Its a bit over the top but you need the weight anyway and it flies really well on about 1/3rd throttle!
Go for it!
Terry

hi guys.i had been building the cirrus moth from db but as usual we get side tracked.

well im pleased too say that im on home stretch now.fuz covered and painted.nylon

was my chioce of covering.bottom wing covered.just a bit more sanding then doping again

and painting.servos in just ailerons too cover.then start covering top wing.

i went electric with this build and used the motor recomended on 4max website.

but being me i bought the same motor someware else half the price.

anyway chaps will try post some pics soon.

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

Just found this thread.

Have purchased the DB Scales J1 Auster kit as a winter project.

But as the LMA event at Elvington (York) is slowly approching (11/12th August) and Eddie and Judy are to be present with their products i am itching to purchase another kit.

The Cirrus Moth is very tempting..

It seems a while since anyone has been on this thread,so any comments on this model would be appreciated.

Cheers...Ian

• 3 months later...

I've just acquired what I believe to be a fairly old DB Moth. It's been gathering dust in the clubhouse all year after being donated from an ex-club member's father's loft and it was going to be consigned to the club bonfire this afternoon. I've resisted temptation all year but I couldn't see it burn...

It's construction looks very similar to the photos I can see in various build logs with a couple of exceptions - this may be an earlier version though as I believe the design could have been changed slightly over the years? know it must be over 10 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if its 20 years or considerably older. The wings measure 59 1/2 inches (the quoted figure for the modern model is 58) and the tailplane components, with the exception of the rudder are solid sheet. It's been built to a very good standard and the fuselage is in very good but patinated condition.

The top wing is virtually intact with a couple of fabric tears but resembles a propeller due to a considerable amount of twist and the bottom wing has had its covering removed and lost 2 struts (luckily both on one side so I have patterns) and its ailerons along the way. I'm wondering whether functional rigging will allow me to true the wings or whether I'll need to remove the twist by re-shrinking the covering/steaming/recovering/rebuilding etc.

The ailerons should be fairly simple to draw up and build although if it is an early DB variant and anyone has a plan and could produce a scan of the ailerons I'd be very grateful!

I've offered up my equally vintage Laser 62 which I rebuilt from a very sorry internal state due to it being stored badly by a previous owner and it looks as though it will fit like a glove - so it's finally found a home a couple of years after being test run and oiled up. I think it should suit the model very well.

I'm a bit curious about the choice of colour scheme though - its markings are G-EBLV (the Shuttleworth Moth) but it's been painted yellow not blue - I don't suppose anyone knows the history of the full size prior to its last repaint or two?

Martin,

What you have is the older version, made before the laser cut tailplane was supplied with the kit.

I had one for many years and still have the plans and the typed building instructions. Mine flew on the old type OS40 four stroke (pre-Surpass) which was adequate; that was later replaced by an FS40 Surpass which in my opinion was 'about right' for the model. A friend in my club has one built from the current version of the kit which is powered by a 52 four stroke. Almost too much power!

The plans don't give a lot of detail with regard to the ailerons, which are referred to as optional and were probably not a feature of the earliest models. The instructions state that if the ailerons are to be built, the lower wings are built first and the ailerons cut out afterwards. Ply plates are fitted for bellcranks to operate the ailerons from a single servo mounted in the centre section.

I can scan the relevant parts of the plan and the instructions and send them to you if you let me have your e-mail address.

Well done in saving the model!

Brian.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Kevin - I don't know how I missed Brian's reply 18 months ago but I haven't got very far with the restoration other than building a pair of ailerons from photos and guesswork as other things have taken priority. If you've got a scan to hand then I'd be delighted to have a copy and I'll PM you my email address - with apologies to Brian for not taking up his earlier offer - and thanks to Frazer for re-awakening the thread which may well have re-inspired me! Once my bathroom refit is out of the way, I may get some time to myself in the workshop until the powers that be find me another job!

Posted by kevin b on 27/07/2014 21:54:47:

Martin.

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a digital copy of the plan. I'm just having a fibreglass cowl moulded for mine (restoration job as well) as the old one is now full of holes !

kevinb.

Kevin, please don't do that, (see my PM) !

Eddie.